LegacyGT.com

Why are you still waxing your car?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/12.03.98/gifs/leaf-blowers1-9848.jpg

U know that thing power by a turbo:)

Anyway i found out the reason is my new employee parking lot. I have to wipe the dust out everytime after i get off from work..LOL

• 2 weeks later...

OCDetails, I read/ skimmed through the whole 14 pages of this thread. Maybe too fast to catch what I was looking for. Hope you didn't already answer this. But here I am, as a noob, asking my Q.

This is my 1st new car, has 27,000 miles and had it for 9 months. I've never waxed before. I have Eagle 1 carwash and nanowax spray. After washing and drying, car looks good. But not the nanowax.

1. What should I do or how should I apply and dry it?

2. After mudding I think I made a slight scratch in one fender while washing. What to do?

3. What'd you recommend I use on my black wagon? Wash and sealant? Which? Meguire's brand? NXT?

Preferably something available in parts/ department stores.

Thanks in advance!

See, now that is the sort of question that I spent so much time answering on OCDetails.com. ;)

Q. What should I do or how should I apply and dry it?

A. This article might help.

Q. After mudding I think I made a slight scratch in one fender while washing. What to do?

A. I would probably try and remove the scratch. Meguiar's ScratchX is made for this type of thing. It is possible that you have more than just those scratches though, so my real advice would be to buy a proper polisher and do the whole car.

Q. What'd you recommend I use on my black wagon? Wash and sealant? Which? Meguire's brand? NXT?

Preferably something available in parts/ department stores.

A. This article has a lot of suggestions for products that you can buy off the shelf. I would suggest NXT wash and NXT Tech Wax if you are looking for something at an AutoZone. If you can order online then even better. You have lots of choices then. :)

I need to get OCDetails.com updated. Some of the links are broken and some of the product suggestions are outdated. Don't ever get so tied up in WHAT to use that you forget that it is the process that counts. Detailing is 60% process, 10% products, and 30% patience. Those are what I call the 3 P's of detailing. ;) Look for that article this winter too.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

That's nice of ya! You don't need to do that though. I'm just here to help. :) If something I say helps someone keep their car looking better, then that is a reward better than ice cream. If I can't personally clean every car in the world, then the least I can do is offer some advice here and there, eh? ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCDetails, here's a little visual.

By the way, should I use the Eagle 1 nanowax I already have?

where have u been?!

as for the nanowax, it's not a long term solution.

You can do it now, since you have nothing else to apply anyways, but it wouldnt last long so-to-speak.

spray wax is just something like "icing on the cake"

If you want to do waxing before winter comes, do it quick, and do i the legit way.

There's no way the spray wax will last u over the winter.

Am I right OCD?:icon_wink

Close enough. ;) nanowax and NXT have about the same durability. They are better than waxes, but not as good as stronger sealants like Klasse. They do the trick though.

I'm going to work on the site this fall. It has been a busy year with the new baby and everything. I just started a new job on top of getting my second business with web design off the ground, so I've been kind of swamped. OCDetails is a priority before the detailing season starts in '07 though.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
There are good reasons to go with either. You may get better durability with the paste, but the liquid has some polishes in it that will improve gloss. Then again, I haven't ever seen a synthetic paste product, so I don't know that the durability would be any better. I haven't tried the paste wax simply because I love the liquid for its ability to remove slight hazing and surface swirls even when used by hand. The paste just doesn't seem to offer me anything that I can't get with the liquid, so that is what I use.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Not if I have access to Wolfgang or Klasse. For an 'over the counter' product, NXT is really one of the best looking synthetics you can get today. If you want to take a step beyond even that, then Wolfgang and Klasse and Four Star and Zaino and all the other products that are primarily only available online are great choices too. NXT ranks up there with the best of them, but I wouldn't choose it over Wolfgang for sure.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

Whoah, so yesterday, after driving home from school, the ol OBXT was white with salt.. it's a black car usually... so i figure, you know it's a good time to clean this thing, and protect the paint a bit.

I had previously ordered the Wolfgang kit (one of them?) but it had been too cold to do anything... anyhow, long story short, used the auto bathe, clayed the front end of the car, pre-sealant polished the front of the car (it was getting dark.. didn't have time to play w/ the whole thing), then i threw on a coat of the sealant, buffed it all out, and MAN! that is one shiney black car.

It was great, driving through concord NH today, every car i see is just covered in salt and nasty road junk, everyone's looking at the shiney OBXT, i was so proud of myself :icon_bigg

We had a little photoshoot w/ one of my friends who also has an OBXT.. i'll post them pics when i get them.. but these are right after i buffed it all off...

Thanks for the help guys :icon_wink

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/AgentBCOC/DSC05501.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/AgentBCOC/DSC05498.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/AgentBCOC/DSC05506.jpg

I plan on putting some more coats of sealant on in the future.. just.. need to find time, when it's not 35 degrees out :cool:

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know how long a coat of Wolgang Polish Enhancer and Paint Sealent should last in the winter? I put on a coat about a month ago, and just recently washed the car and it still looks good, but I don't know if there is still protection on the paint. Thanks.

Ok I want to wax/seal my new 07 LGT and just want some advice. It is Diamond grey metallic and I want the metallic to stand out. I have some Eagle nanowax here and some Eagle cleaner wax I picked up. Would you suggest just not using either and going with NXT or the Wolfgang kit or should I throw this on for the time being? Also it seems that the paint is pretty fragile as I already have some fine scratches in the paint and im wondering the best way to "cover" those up and make them not so noticeable.

Don't waste time covering up scratches. Remove them. The Legacy paint is fragile indeed, so your next purchase should be a Porter Cable 7424 and the proper pads and polishes to maintain it. You'll never be able to hide all the swirls that your car is going to get just from daily driving. Never mind the swirls that it will get in the winter or with improper washing techniques. You need to polish the paint and remove the swirls if you are concerned with them. No wax or sealant will do the job for you. You cannot hide swirls for more than a couple weeks no matter what you use.

Teflon sealants are a joke. Teflon has to be applied at super high temperatures in order to be effective. The so called 'teflon' products, even the ones that actually have teflon in them, are about as effective at protecting your paint as a normal carnauba wax. That is an industry accepted assesment of the effectiveness of any teflon sealant, by the way. Nobody holds much stock in them and anyone interested in synthetic sealants goes the acrylic or polymer route instead of the teflon route.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Does anyone know how long a coat of Wolgang Polish Enhancer and Paint Sealent should last in the winter? I put on a coat about a month ago, and just recently washed the car and it still looks good, but I don't know if there is still protection on the paint. Thanks.

I can tell you that I'm super impressed with the Wolfgang sealant. In late October I got the car ready for winter with a good clay barring, Poor Boys SSR2, Klasse AIO and two coats of Wolfgang sealant. I wasn't expecting it to last through the winter based on OC's estimation of durability. During the winter months there aren't very many nice days here to actually wash the car so I focus more on keeping the grime off with frequent rinsing at the local car wash. There were a few trips through the touchless car wash when it looked just atrocious from road grime and just a couple of hand-washings, but for the most part I tried not to touch the paint.

Here it is five months later and I've had a chance to give it a good hand washing and the product seems to be holding up well. The paint is still glossy, the water still beads up and the paint is still relatively smooth and free from that gritty feeling. Don't get me wrong, it does need a spring cleaning, but overall I'm impressed with the durability that I've encountered.

I can tell you that I'm super impressed with the Wolfgang sealant. In late October I got the car ready for winter with a good clay barring, Poor Boys SSR2, Klasse AIO and two coats of Wolfgang sealant. I wasn't expecting it to last through the winter based on OC's estimation of durability. During the winter months there aren't very many nice days here to actually wash the car so I focus more on keeping the grime off with frequent rinsing at the local car wash. There were a few trips through the touchless car wash when it looked just atrocious from road grime and just a couple of hand-washings, but for the most part I tried not to touch the paint.

Here it is five months later and I've had a chance to give it a good hand washing and the product seems to be holding up well. The paint is still glossy, the water still beads up and the paint is still relatively smooth and free from that gritty feeling. Don't get me wrong, it does need a spring cleaning, but overall I'm impressed with the durability that I've encountered.

Awesome, thanks. I'll probably be putting on a fresh coat of both in a week or two. We'll see how lazy I am haha.

Archived