LegacyGT.com

Why are you still waxing your car?

yo OCD, idk how many clay bars ive bought and they work great, but expensive for something this common. isnt it possible to get clay from like a art store? or..playdoh? ive seen a whole bucket of playdoh for 3.99, is there something special mixed in the detailing clay bars? if so, couldnt i make it myself???

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you put cooking oil in your motor just to save a couple bucks? Hey, it says it is 'oil', doesn't it? Why not put wiper fluid in your transmission too? It says 'fluid' right there on the bottle, so I'm sure it is ok. Art clay... Detailing clay... it's all clay, right? ;)

If you can't use auto clay for sculpting then you can't use sculpting clay for cars. It is patented and more than just art clay. It isn't something that is really that expensive either. You can clay your car at least half a dozen times with a $10 bar of clay. That includes the lube too. Don't cut corners and sacrifice your paint for a lousy ten bucks. This is an expensive piece of material you are dealing with.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ok, OC, I see where you're going with this, but Silly Putty® is very similar to detailing clay. Think about lifting impressions from the Funnies on Sunday with Silly Putty®. Couldn't you pull contaminants from your paint just like the ink on the newspaper page with Silly Putty® too?!

The best part is, I can find it right there at the check-out of any Target, Walmart, or Walgreens!

Ok, OC, I see where you're going with this, but Silly Putty® is very similar to detailing clay. Think about lifting impressions from the Funnies on Sunday with Silly Putty®. Couldn't you pull contaminants from your paint just like the ink on the newspaper page with Silly Putty® too?!

The best part is, I can find it right there at the check-out of any Target, Walmart, or Walgreens!

:eek: WTF R U NUTZZZ???????

Just like the sunday paper, it will pull the color right off the car!! You really don't want to mess around with that stuff! In this case I think they should call it Serious Putty!:spin:

hell, a lot of things will pull news print off a page. My Levis can pull the color right out of the grass if I rub them together, so does that make denim a good clay choice? Besides, pulling a stain off the paint is a whole lot different than lifting contamination out of the paint and then keeping it from harming the car as you continue using the clay. I seriously doubt that silly putty is capable of that.

We are dealing with the most expensive part of your car here. This is not an arena to be experimenting with strange new clay alternatives. Go over to Autopia.org and check out the threads where people used that tacky poster mounting clay on their cars and see what they thought of it. This isn't the first time using these other 'clay' substances has been considered. It was even brought up in a detailing clinic I taught a couple weeks ago. Trust me or don't trust me. It's your paint.

If you are serious about wanting to know the differences, then I definitely suggest that you post over on Autopia.org, DetailCity.org, or AutogeekOnline.net and see what they have to say. Imagine an entire board full of 10,000 freaks just like me. ;) They'll have some concrete facts and figures about why silly putty and sculpting clay aren't good choices on your car. Common sense tells me that it would be bad, but I understand the science behind that common sense. I just don't have the facts handy to give you and I don't want to mislead you with incomplete information.

OCDETAILS BLOG

The only reason I took you seriously is because I asked the same questions once. I seriously wanted to know what the big deal was with clay and why something that seemed to be the same wouldn't work just as well. Fortunately that was before this particular board became a flame fest whenever a noob asked some dumb ass question, so I was politely educated as to why it wouldn't work.

Good one though. :lol: Don't think that I'm gonna forget that. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

... Fortunately that was before this particular board became a flame fest whenever a noob asked some dumb ass question, so I was politely educated as to why it wouldn't work.

Good one though. :lol: Don't think that I'm gonna forget that. ;)

@ least you know better than to take us seriously!!! not everyone is so 'fortunate'...:lol:

...and the silly putty does pull the paint up, right???

:lol:

So OCD, what's the verdict on the 360? It is a good AIO or is it meh? It seemed to be working well on the Mazda truck.

Well, so far it seems to be a really good product. We took it around the M3 once and it did a fair job of polishing out some of the light swirls and leaving a good shine. It did an awesome job on that messed up red truck, so I'm all for it. The one thing I think it has going against it is that it didn't seem to spread very far. I wouldn't have had to ues very much AIO for that job and right now my 360 is definitely less than half full. Considering I gave some samples out, it still used a lot of product on the truck and M3. Kind of pricey if I'm going to go through it like that.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Would you put cooking oil in your motor just to save a couple bucks? Hey, it says it is 'oil', doesn't it? Why not put wiper fluid in your transmission too? It says 'fluid' right there on the bottle, so I'm sure it is ok. Art clay... Detailing clay... it's all clay, right? ;)

If you can't use auto clay for sculpting then you can't use sculpting clay for cars. It is patented and more than just art clay. It isn't something that is really that expensive either. You can clay your car at least half a dozen times with a $10 bar of clay. That includes the lube too. Don't cut corners and sacrifice your paint for a lousy ten bucks. This is an expensive piece of material you are dealing with.

well, im the type of guy that like to try everything... but something told me to ask first this time... So uhh... $10 bar that can clay half a dozen times? where at??

Auto Zone. Clay Magic. You can break that bar into at least three or four pieces. You don't need to use a whole 100 grams at a time. At the very least you should tear it in half.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yeah, you gotta get the 100 gram Clay Magic bar. Ten bucks for that and the lube is a good deal. I can't beat that with anything online. AutoZone carries it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Hey OC,

I took your advice and bought one of the factory bug/rock deflectors. I'm pretty sure it saved my paint last winter when I got stuck behind a sanding truck.

This is a dumb question maybe, but after the silly putty discussion I'm sure I won't look like the biggest fool here. ;)

Should I remove the defector when I do my annual paint clay/clean/polish/seal ritual? What do I do about replacing the 3M 'pads' underneath the defector's contact points?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

I always remove the visor when I polish the car. A lot of crap gets caught under there and it is a good opportunity to wipe down the bottom of the visor as well as protect the entire hood. I don't always take it off when I put a new coat of sealant on it, but anytime I have to clay or polish then I make sure I remove it. I don't worry about the clear strips on the hood edges. Those are there protecting the paint pretty well anyway, so not much point in removing them so I can clay underneath. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/stuff.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/reflection2.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/reflection.jpg

im still learning, so i kept it simple. A good wash, clay, wash, 1 layer of nxt.

^ Thats been my ritual. Keeps my new car looking good until I do a pre-winter detail on it.

I seriously think the wash boys dropped the wash mitt on the ground when they cleaned my car prior to delivery though. There is some micro swirling on the trunk, spoiler and right quarter panel and NXT doesn't wanna smooth them out. Was thinking about using NXT on my blue edge pad the last time around but I don't have any pad cleaner and don't want to mix product.

to OCDetails....

which of the 2 polishes should i be using? i get confused with all the different products by the same company. i seen this Wolfgang Paintword Polish Enhancer

but i thought the best option from Wolgang is the Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer.

which should i use? they are BOTH POLISHES right?

thx

Didn't want to read through 21 pages (got tired at about 5...).

Want the car to look good, but durability and protection a bigger goal.

Can I just use Klasse cleaner/polish and then sealant on top of it, say every 6 months? Better option than Wolfgang (if durability is focus with decent looks)?

What should I do between seals? (Just wash with something like NXT? Wash with Klasse polish (I saw that suggestion on Autogeek's info on Klasse)?

Does S100 help with spots/etc, or should I just skip the wax if super gloss isn't my goal?

Thanks. Great stuff and info! The "car wax/polish" mystery/hype is solved.

to OCDetails....

which of the 2 polishes should i be using? i get confused with all the different products by the same company. i seen this Wolfgang Paintword Polish Enhancer

but i thought the best option from Wolgang is the Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer.

which should i use? they are BOTH POLISHES right?

thx

Here is some terminology that needs to be gotten straight.

Paint Cleaner= Something that cleans the paint without the use of abrasives.

Polish= Something that removes swirls with the use of abrasives.

Wax= Sometimes just a generic term for any form of protectant, but technically it is a carnauba based product that lasts for about 6 weeks and makes the car look glossy wet.

Sealant= A synthetic "wax" made with polymers or acrylics. Sealants are just protectants for the paint that last much much longer than waxes. See the first post in this thread for the comparison between the two.

Glaze= Typically glazes are just oily polishes that fit into multiple categories. Sometimes they are paint cleaners as well as protectants, and sometimes they are polishes and protectants. Glazes don't offer a whole lot of protection and they are mainly used just for show due to the greasyness of the product. They can be real dust magnets. Klasse Sealant Glaze isn't really a glaze in this sense even though it uses the name. Similarly, Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax isn't really a wax. Some products use these terms for lack of better words to describe them.

So in answer to your question, if you are refering to the Wolfgang Pre Wax Polish Enhancer, then you should know that it isn't really a polish. It is a paint cleaner. No abrasives are in that particular product. The Wolfgang Paint Sealant is a sealant just like the label says. How are you supposed to know when a polish is actually a polish and not a paint cleaner, you might ask? I dunno... experience I guess. lol They don't make this stuff easy. That's why you've got helpful guys around who are willing to clear things up if you ask the right questions.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived