LegacyGT.com

Why are you still waxing your car?

I know OC Details has not been very complimentary about Zaino, but my RBP LGT has just gone through it's second North Dakota winter and the full Zaino treatment I gave it last fall still shines, beads, etc. just like it did last spring after the same fall procedure the first year I owned it...5 months of salt and touchless carwashes have not removed the Zaino treatment.

I plan to do the same Zaino treatment in a couple of weeks and should be good until fall arrives once again...then I'll repeat the process.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been uncomplimentary about Zaino. I don't prefer the way it looks, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great product. I even keep my supply of Zaino fresh for people who request it. I think it looks fantastic on red and just applied it on a red Z06 today in fact. I'm just not a fan of the way some of the Zaino users push the stuff and act like it is the only product in the world. The product is great, but there is no such thing as something that works the best for everybody on every application. Everybody should keep an open mind when it comes to this kind of thing.

I never saw Zaino on my RBP Legacy. I'd be interested to see how it looks. Did you take pictures?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Hi OC Details,

We just had a snowstorm here, so the car is pretty dirty. How about I post some pics after I do the spring detail in a couple of weeks or so? I didn't mean to say your advice on this forum was bogus. On the contrary, your posts have been quite informative and I watch for them. I've also printed out various procedures from your website. I was only extolling the virtues of a Zaino shine lasting through a 5 month ND winter. That's impressive to me compared to other products I've used in the past on other vehicles..and I've had quite a few since I'm close to 57 years of age.

I'm sure there are other high-end products that may do just as well...I just haven't had first hand experience with them.

OCDetails,

I use the AutoDry system to clean the car and then Meguiars Spray Wax, but like you said 5 mins later the dust is back on.

So if I just use the NXT Sealant instead of the Spray Wax that should last and look better or should I change the initial washing process ?

I used the meguiars clay bar and nxt wax (sealant) on my hood last night (wanted to do the whole car but it got too dark). This morning the hood had more pollen and dust on it than the rear bumper which always collects a lot of dust and pollen when sitting still.

Not yet I haven't. I used to be really into experimenting and posting my results, but that was when it was more of a hobby and less of a business. My customers don't really enjoy being guinea pigs, so I just stick with what works lately. I've been meaning to branch out though. I'm trying some products from http://www.Danase.com lately and have been fairly impressed. They have some good products. I like their interior and exterior dressings a lot.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Why am I waxing my car? Because you convinced me that S100 is the bee's knees when it comes to wax. Then you tell me that Wolfgang sealant is where it's at. So I order that too.

You bastard! :lol:

Hey OC Details, how would you compare Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax? which one would you prefer?

Wolfgang any day of the week and twice on days ending in Y. You just can't compare the slick marketing and low budget ingredients of NXT with the smooth german formuated technology of Wolfgang. Don't get me wrong... NXT is great stuff for an off the shelf product, but it really can't hold a candle to the impact of Wolfgang. I hate to drop the money shot picture, but you can't get shine like this out of a bottle on the shelf.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02663.jpg

Trust me, I've tried. I've sort of slacked off on the product testing for the last couple years, so it is quite possible that there is something out there that greases up your car and makes it look like that. In the years that I was buying and trying everything that came out, I found it really difficult to find anything off the shelf that could compete with products that came from certain chemists in Florida.

But what do you really want? A product that gives you temporary shine and dust attracting oils, or something that shines like that for months and provides the protection of SPF 1zillion for your paint? For protection and looks I'll go for Wolfgang. I've yet to hear about or see something that impresses me more.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I definately hate attracting dust.

I used different car wash soap like sunshine..teflon and some tv commercial pkg...For some reason, I found the tv ad one (aka no brand) doesnt attract that much dust compare to the other 2 i stated above. Then I used nxt to wax, it definately gives me really nice shine and for some reason I like to wax everything 3 weeks..but i just hate to see dust few hours after.

Ofcourse, I want to have some protection for my paint.

These are the only pics back in the summer with NXT but no mods :p

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/subaru_terrence/DSCF0021B.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/subaru_terrence/DSCF0022B.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/subaru_terrence/DSCF0005.jpg

I really haven't found many good swirl removing polishes off the shelf. If you can find some 3M Finesse It II at PepBoys then that would work. Meguiar's #9 would work for really mild swirls, but it wouldn't touch much. Mostly it is just fillers that hide swirls for a few days. Some auto part stores carry professional polishes like Meguiar's #83 or the 3M polishes, but not many of them. Most consumer grade products are just paint cleaners and waxes. Polishing requires a machine and not many people seem to have one that will do the job. Buffers are good for applying waxes, but they won't break down polishes to remove swirls.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Care to share your opinion on Turtle Wax ICE???

My husband liked ICE better than the NXT because it went on everything real easy but is worried about its durability and actual protection provided. He has been a Meguiars 3 step guy for 10 years and is looking for a new alternative. He has read most of this post and is talking about the Wolfgang Twins Enhancer and Sealant.

Given a choice I would trust the WG products more than the consumer grade ICE. Here's how I see it. I may have talked about this before, but here it is again. I put products into three categories. Consumer, Professional, and Enthusiast.

Consumer grade products are typically mass marketed in every auto part store and WalMart in the country. They are easy to find and fairly inexepensive. What they lack in 'wow' they make up for in flashy packaging. There are many consumer grade products that do the job just fine, but there are often better products out there that either look better or last longer.

Professional grade products are the ones that you can buy in bulk and are generally for machine use. Economics drive the plain bottles and lack of real distribution. Meguiar's and 3M are a couple manufacturers of professional grade products that also make a consumer line. Some of those professional products trickle over onto the shelves. Meguiar's #9, #7, and #36 are good examples. Those are polishes, glazes, and waxes that you can get off the shelf. You can also buy them by the 50 gallon drum if you needed to. You'll be hard pressed to get a gallon of NXT if you wanted it.

The big difference between consumer grade and professional grade is the person using them. Most people don't have access to the right tools to use some of the professional products. You would need at least a PC if not a rotary to use most of them. So consumer products are marketed to the weekend warrior who is just trying to maintain his own car as best he can. If it gets too much to handle then a pro can step in.

Enthusiast grade products are a cut above the rest. Car enthusiasts do more than just maintain their cars. They are obsessive about it and demand products that produce results. Dependability and durability are high concerns. Dust attraction and sling and ease of application are all things that enthusiasts look for in a product. Since this is niche marketing we are talking about here, the products that fall into this category aren't usually advertised or marketed in places you shop locally. They are sold online or through select distributors. Since marketing dollars can be spent on R&D and better ingredients, the products are very often higher quality than what you get off the shelf. They also get constant feedback from users of their products so they can continually improve the formulas. I've been a product tester for several companies that produce one or all of the different grade products. Out of them all the ones who take my feedback to the lab and get to work are the ones that deal with enthusiast grade stuff.

I'm not saying that there is a quality issue with any of the other categories by any means. There is great stuff to be found at AutoZone and Target. I'm just saying that if you have the choice, you will likely get a better product if you go for the 'boutique' products in the enthuiast grade arena. Shopping at places like Autogeek.net and DetailCity.com are ways to get these products.

Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

What page are you on that it is asking you that? I tell ya... I need to seriously take a week off of work and lock myself in my office so I can finish that site. I keep having too many weird issues with it. I didn't know much about web design when I built that one.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I clicked on your sig. ^^^^

I got it too...

"Do you want to allow this web page to access your clipboard?"

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

Archived