LegacyGT.com

Why are you still waxing your car?

I'd ignore it. I don't have any malicious javascript on the site, but it is on there. I'm using IE6 on this machine and it doesn't come up with anything. I've got IE7 at home and I don't remember it poping anything up, but I'm also using the Avant browser, so maybe that has something to do with it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

OCDetails, I must thank you for you sharing your knowledge!! As a noob to the keeping a car looking awsome, I am like a sponge looking for knowledge. I keep trying to find your posts and I have created a binder of your web site (I hope you don't mind) so I can reread when needed. You are my master and, well maybe I wouldn't go that far, my GF says she is my master and as long as she thinks that I get to play with my car........... :icon_mrgr

But anyways, thank you for sharing your knowledge!!

________

Creampie redhead

I'm glad it is useful. Not much of this is my creation though. If I was really the master then I would have invented these products instead of just bowing before the alter of superior car care products. lol A lot of what I learned when I started out was learned from other people, so I look at it as a duty to pass it on. I'm an instructor for a living, so it is only natural that I try to share as much about this with as many people as I can. Definitely try things out yourself and prove me wrong whenever you get a chance though. There are a million ways to skin a cat and most of what I write is just my take on things. Some things are just the way they are, but a lot of things are my opinions based on my experience. I always encourage you to try it for yourself and see what you think. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCDetails, I've looked through your site and couldn't find an answer to a question (granted I could have missed it). What is the difference between a sealant (Meguiars #9) and a glaze (Meguiars #7)? I have found the #7 which Auto Zone calls a sealer; I am going to finish the cleaning with S100 wax. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

________

BONDAGE GERMAN

Maybe I can help.

Glazes confuse people because they tend to be lumped with polishes at stores and on websites.

A glaze is nothing more than a beautifying product. A glaze does not correct problems like a true polish and it does not protect like a wax/sealant. All it does is make the paint look very deep and liquid. Some glazes like #7 do this by using oils in their chemistry. Other glazes will also "remove" minor scratches by filling them in and making them optically invisible.

Because a glaze does not protect it is paramount that you use a wax on top of it especially if it is a glaze that fills in scratches like Clearkote Moose Glaze otherwise the first rainstorm will show the scratches again ;). I say wax only because some sealants have a very hard time bonding to glazes but waxes with carnaubu have no problem. S100 should be fine on top of #7.

If you only use sealants then you want to use a glaze made out of something like acrylic that the sealant can bond to0. A good example of this type of glaze would be Poorboys World Polish or Danase Wet Glaze. These glazes work with anything on top of them.

Meguiars #9 is not a sealant it is a swirl remover polish. Its is none abrasive like a glaze and it hides scratches like some filler glazes but unlike a true glaze it actually will clean your paint if your paint has some oxidation and dull spots.

A true sealant (sealer) by Meguiars is #20 and #21.

Hope this helps...:)

If you get Wolfgang then get the Wolfgang brand Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer. I've used AIO as a base and I've used the Wolfgang product as a base and the end result looks better if you keep Wolfgang products together.

Hi!

your information is VERY helpful!!!

may i ask a couple of things?

1. i have an older car, a 95 ford probe gt, and i was wondering, would this be the ultimate protection and best results if i used these products that you recommend? :

first, use the Wolfgang Pre-Wax Enhancer

second, apply the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealent

then finally

the Harley Davidson S100

?????????

2. what is a good soap to wash the car at the beginning? see, many of the higher quality car soaps have wax already in the soap, like a 2 in 1. should i avoid using those kinds of soaps since i need to use sealant FIRST, THEN put the S100 wax??

thanks!

Hello 94Banshee - have you read the "Do i need clay" Thread?

Also the "Washing your car" thread?

With respect to question 1 i will let the detailing gurus answer. From what i have learnt here i think it should be good.

But ... but ... where did the polishing step go? Can you please also read "Claying, polishing and waxing thread" in the same forum? Hopefully all that will ease some confusion.

Otherwise for all NEWBIES (like me LOL)

Make these links your friends! I did.

1. http://www.ocdetails.com/html/ocd_university.html

2. http://thedetailinghandbook.com/default.aspx

OK. so what if i did the following, starting from scratch after the car being stored for months to a year. i have some questions as well:

1. Wash (wool mitt or microfiber mitt + soap + water) WITH Dawn

2. let the car dry mostly then Clay (use lots of water or soapy water)

3-Do i wash again after claying and if so, should i use Dawn or car soap?

Do i polish here?? If so, do I need a PC? Can I attempt it by hand?

4. apply Wolfgang Sealant.

If I want to apply a second coat of Wolfgang Sealant, how long do I wait in between????

5. Apply Harley Davidson S100

Wax.

How long do I wait AFTER my final sealant application before waxing?

6. After waxing, is there anything I should do??

in between which steps do I use the Wolfgang Pre-Wax cleaner? Before number 5 ? Do i apply it after the Sealant??

sorry about all the questions! just wanna get the order down correctly!

Thanks

With all due respect to a couple of folks here who are detailing Gods...i will attempt to answer to the best of my theoretical knowledge...

>Yes you do need to wash again after claying. If you don't take it out well and end up polishing over it and sealing it...you will end up with streaks that can only be removed by starting all over again.

read what mcsquish ended up doing .... we want what he did to be a lesson to you: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61418&page=2

> Light and really soft polish can be used with hand. However for bad paint quality that has been dirty and lots of spider web scratches i know that a polishing machine works best. Not only will a polisher be needed but u will require an appropriate pad. I ordered my pads from detailcity.com (we get 10% discount with coupon code 'legacy').

Look here how different pads do different things. I didnt get the same pads, i got CCS pads made by lake country.

If I want to apply a second coat of Wolfgang Sealant, how long do I wait in between????

> Someone really wise said 12 hours between layers.

Wax.

> Again i believe this should be 12 hours

in between which steps do I use the Wolfgang Pre-Wax cleaner? Before number 5 ? Do i apply it after the Sealant??

> I think i would agree. Once the sealant has sunk in and dried up and has been wiped out. You may even need to rub, spray water and remove streaks and excessive residue as part of sealant application. Then apply prewax cleaner whenever you want to wax. I believe i read that it does not react with sealant and dissolve it.

> Don't worry i started some newbie threads just days ago - look where people here have got me. And we don't even get half the products you guys in the US have available.

! Now wait while someone reads my answers and confirms they are correct ! :D

With all due respect to a couple of folks here who are detailing Gods...i will attempt to answer to the best of my theoretical knowledge...

>Yes you do need to wash again after claying. If you don't take it out well and end up polishing over it and sealing it...you will end up with streaks that can only be removed by starting all over again.

read what mcsquish ended up doing .... we want what he did to be a lesson to you: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61418&page=2

> Light and really soft polish can be used with hand. However for bad paint quality that has been dirty and lots of spider web scratches i know that a polishing machine works best. Not only will a polisher be needed but u will require an appropriate pad. I ordered my pads from detailcity.com (we get 10% discount with coupon code 'legacy').

Look here how different pads do different things. I didnt get the same pads, i got CCS pads made by lake country.

> Someone really wise said 12 hours between layers.

Wax.

> Again i believe this should be 12 hours

> I think i would agree. Once the sealant has sunk in and dried up and has been wiped out. You may even need to rub, spray water and remove streaks and excessive residue as part of sealant application. Then apply prewax cleaner whenever you want to wax. I believe i read that it does not react with sealant and dissolve it.

> Don't worry i started some newbie threads just days ago - look where people here have got me. And we don't even get half the products you guys in the US have available.

! Now wait while someone reads my answers and confirms they are correct ! :D

THANKS MAN! btw, im from Canada too!:)

yes, if someone can verify, i would appreciate it!

curious though, if i gotta wait 12 hours in between applications for sealant or wax, wouldnt possible dirt/dust get on the car? i mean, when you start back 12 hours later, do you hose the car down with or water or something then let it dry???

^^ obviously. You have to wait, but that doesn't mean that you can't wash it again before the next layer. Wash it and dry it like normal before you wax or seal it again. If it has just sat in the garage the whole time then you can probably just quick detail it with a spray and be just fine.

The 12 hours is a bare minimum. I always give it 18 to 24 hours at least. There isn't any need to watch the clock tick before you put the second or third layers on. Relax and enjoy the car. More layers doesn't double or tripple the wow factor on the car. It looks great for sure, but one coat of Wolfgang is a panty dropper all by itself. Layers aren't necessary unless you just want to see if it looks better.

OCDETAILS BLOG

OK

so here is the fnal step-by-step order: (please correct if necessary OCDETAILS)

3- wash AGAIN after claying. do i wash the second time with Dawn or car soap?

4. Polish

5. apply Wolfgang Sealant.

6. Apply Wolfgang Pre-Wax cleaner

7. Apply Harley Davidson S100

Wax.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:

a) After waxing, is there anything I should do??

b) Do I just put ONE coat of wax?

c) When you polish, STEP 4, do you use any products, or just a dry cloth/wheel ??

Thanks!

Here are two things that might help you. The answers you are looking for are fairly involved and take quite awhile to explain. So what I've done is take my most common questions and answer them in detail and post them on my own site. It saves me from having to give my $.02 over and over and over on the same topics. My OCD extends to many areas and one of them is that I can't resist answering a question if I have input. ;)

This is my full guide to detailing that includes information in most of the steps.

More information on some of the steps are available in specific articles like this one: This is my oddly formated Porter Cable use guide. I don't know why text is sliding around, but I'll chalk it up to beginner html knowledge and a lack of skills when I built that site. The new one is looking much better. ;)

Anyway, much of what you are asking can be answered by doing some reading either on OCDetails.com or on this forum here. If you really want to get overwhelmed (as if this weren't enough already) then you could branch out to Autopia.org, DetailCity.org, or AutogeekOnline.net. Those will really fill your brain up.

Ok, now to basically answer some of your questions.

1. Only use Dawn to wash your car if your intention is to strip waxes and oils from the surface. If this is not your intent, then Dawn is not your product.

2. After waxing you should smoke a cigarette, have a beer, and relax. Detailing is hard work and you should take time to enjoy it.

3. One coat of wax is fine. Reapply that coat every 4 to 6 weeks to maintain the shine and protection.

4. Please refer to some of my more detailed responses for information on how to polish. You do need product on your machine. If you dry buff your car then you are going to burn the paint right off.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Here are two things that might help you. The answers you are looking for are fairly involved and take quite awhile to explain. So what I've done is take my most common questions and answer them in detail and post them on my own site. It saves me from having to give my $.02 over and over and over on the same topics. My OCD extends to many areas and one of them is that I can't resist answering a question if I have input. ;)

This is my full guide to detailing that includes information in most of the steps.

More information on some of the steps are available in specific articles like this one: This is my oddly formated Porter Cable use guide. I don't know why text is sliding around, but I'll chalk it up to beginner html knowledge and a lack of skills when I built that site. The new one is looking much better. ;)

Anyway, much of what you are asking can be answered by doing some reading either on OCDetails.com or on this forum here. If you really want to get overwhelmed (as if this weren't enough already) then you could branch out to Autopia.org, DetailCity.org, or AutogeekOnline.net. Those will really fill your brain up.

Ok, now to basically answer some of your questions.

1. Only use Dawn to wash your car if your intention is to strip waxes and oils from the surface. If this is not your intent, then Dawn is not your product.

2. After waxing you should smoke a cigarette, have a beer, and relax. Detailing is hard work and you should take time to enjoy it.

3. One coat of wax is fine. Reapply that coat every 4 to 6 weeks to maintain the shine and protection.

4. Please refer to some of my more detailed responses for information on how to polish. You do need product on your machine. If you dry buff your car then you are going to burn the paint right off.

thanks or your advice and links!! i have a question about a paragraph in one of the links......

"For a good protectant on your paint I would suggest using a sealant. 4 Star's Ultimate Paint Protection is my current favorite. 3 coats of that and you'll have people walking into trees because they can't keep their eyes off your car. UPP works best if you use the pre-cleaner product first. Klasse AIO is also a good product to use. Since you just spent a couple hours polishing I would say that the surface is pretty clean and doesn't need much more help. Those products are good bases for the UPP to bond to and are recommended for best results."

now, ill be using Wolfgang Sealant and not UPP, and ill be applying the Wolfgang Pre-Wax cleaner before waxing, but what does it mean by using a pre-cleaner product before the UPP sealant? i would be applying the Wolfgang sealant AFTER polishing and i would just do a quick wash before applying the Wolfgang, so why do i need to use a pre-cleaner?? isnt a wash enough before sealant?

how you understand my meaning? thanks!!

Wolfgang has a pre cleaner just like UPP does. I've just found that it works best if you use that to optimize the bonding. In Wolfgang's case I've found that it actually even looks better if you use their pre-wax product. It removes any oils or fillers that could impair bonding and acts almost like a primer for the sealant. If you are using a body shop safe polish (meaning it leaves no fillers or oils on the surface) then technically you can skip that pre-wax step. However, if you do skip that step then you may notice that it is more difficult to buff the sealant off, which indicates that there is some benefit to using the pre-wax.

I'll be honest about something too. I use the pre-wax sometimes because I'm lazy and I know I don't get all the polish off the paint when I buff it off. By using the prewax I know that I'm eventually going to get everything off and it is much easier to buff than polish is. That is reason number 2 that I use it. The primary reason is that I know it cleans the surface and provides the best possible environment for optimum bonding and appearance.

OCDETAILS BLOG

yes, i want to use all Wolfgang products together.

so in total i would need 3 Wolfgang products:

Sealant, Pre-Wax, and the Pre-Cleaner which Im to use AFTER polishing and before Sealant

is this correct?

also, i came across a discontinued product called Meguiar's #16. supposed to be really good. how would you compare it to S100 ?

thanks for being so patient with my Q's !!

#16 is a great wax. If you can get it then I'm sure you will like it. They are both great waxes that look good on all colors. I'm not sure why #16 went out of production, but I'm sure that VOC standards had something to do with it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I don't think so, I think it will remove the first layer of sealant.

Exactly. The Pre-Wax product is just to prime the surface for the first layer of the sealant. After that you don't want to use the Pre-Wax again unless you are trying to remove all the sealant from the paint.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Exactly. The Pre-Wax product is just to prime the surface for the first layer of the sealant. After that you don't want to use the Pre-Wax again unless you are trying to remove all the sealant from the paint.

That's what I thought, just making sure :) Thanks.

really? oh, so you never apply the pre-wax AFTER the sealant process?

i thought you apply the pre-wax AFTER the sealant and BEFORE the wax ??

so after the sealant, i guess i go directly to waxing ???

Correct. Don't use a paint cleaner unless that is what you are trying to do. Even some liquid waxes are too high in solvent content to effectively layer on a sealant. Meguiar's Gold Class is a good example of that. I've stripped oxidation of a car with that stuff before. It wouldn't layer on a wax no matter how long you let it cure first.

After the sealant you wait for it to cure and then you apply a wax only if you feel that it will improve appearances or have some other reason for doing it. Don't just do it for the sake of doing it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived