LegacyGT.com

Why are you still waxing your car?

Zaino highly recommends you remove all existing polish/wax before you start with Zaino. I would do that to start over with the Wolfgang, to give it a fair test, and right now I just don't feel like doing so. I know others that use wolfgang and like I said it's a wash (hehe) as to which is better, plus another reason is that I spent the money for Zaino, it has a recommended shelf life, and I'll continue with it until I'm nearly out. Maybe then I'll give it a shot, but I have used Zaino for at least 6 years so it'll take a noticeable difference, in looks, price or ease of use for me to totally convert. I'm not trying to be sold on it nor am I putting any product down, I know Wolfgang is a fine product, through my friends, I'm just a creature of habit. (read that as getting old and set in my ways!!!) By the way, I love that "obsessive compulsive detailing" signature. May have to ask you to borrow that one in the future when dealing with the wifey!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OCDetails,

What's your take on using a PC 7424 for buffing Klasse AIO? Sealant Glaze?

Reading through your excellent website, I got that applying AIO works great with a PC, but SG is better applied by hand. What wasn't clear to me was if a PC could also be used to buff off either.

Ken

It's not really necessary to use a PC to buff product off. Once it dries it usually comes off pretty easily and the PC doesn't do anything to aid in that process. Just grab a couple microfiber towels and start wiping.

SG has to be applied by hand in order to get the thin layers you need. Using a PC for that product would not be a good idea. You would waste a ton of product. SG is really super thin. Kind of like watery milk if you can picture that. If you poured that on a PC pad then most of it would be absorbed into the foam and wouldn't go on the car. Using a terry cloth or microfiber applicator is a much better way to wipe SG onto the car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Would it be safe to apply WolfGang with the PC?

I just placed an order for some WolfGang and plan to do a full detail when the temp rises. Maybe going with 2 coats for good protection. They use a LOT of ice slicer here.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

I am too lazy to read this whole thread, but if you read actual tests performed by many different companies including those like consumer reports, they show how long some waxes can and do last. They don't test some of the waxes that detailers like us may use and from my experience, as I have used just about every wax out there, there are only a few that last as long as a year or even more.

Griot's Garage makes a great product, if you keep up with it. As every customer of mine that requests it, asks me to detail their vehicle just about once a month. However, for my customers that request their vehicles to be detailed on a yearly or bi yearly basis, I have been using Gliptone Clearcoat wax with Clerilium. It leaves a hard shell on the paint and with good care, it has lasted on some vehicles over 2 yrs...those that are especially garaged.

A vehicles wax will last much longer if applied to a perfectly clean, clayed surface. I used to use Zymol when I first started in 1995. That was the "hottest" wax. Unforutnately it didn't last for $hit. If you guys are using some of the over the counter waxes, if you use them regulary, say every quarter and keep up with washes, you will be fine.

I didn't read the entire post on this product, but just about every product out there will work, and if there are claims about this product that make it better than all the others, i would have to see some proof. As every wax leaves a shine and on a photo, a glossy finish can look even glossier.

JIM1969: As far as claying the clear bar, you can, you just have to use extra quick detail spray to make sure the surface is lubricated as to not "scuff" the clear bra. Also you must be using a non aggressive clay bar to clay the bra. By not claying the bra, you aren't taking off all the particles and debris that is stuck into the plastic, this must be removed for a perfect cleansing of the plastic to apply the wax evenly and thoroughly (sp?)

Hey OC, what do you think about PRO products? Do you use any of them? Have you tried any of Gisco-Tek's products, they seem to be the best on the market for many of the detailing products you can use. They carry so many different products for all types of detailing jobs you may have. We used to use them when we were contracted at Wide World of Cars Ferrari BMW Maserati.

Wolfgang can be applied by PC. The only sealant I have used that I wouldn't use a PC for is Klasse SG.

I do use professional products. They are typically the only ones you can afford to buy in gallons. I don't think I've ever heard of Gisco-Tek, but that isn't surprising. There are hundreds of professional strength detailing product manufactuers out there. I haven't really found one that is 'the best' yet. They pretty much all make the same stuff. It's just a matter of who is cheaper and who you get better service from. I stick to valugard products from Autoint.com or Four Star pro products from premiumautocare.com. Those have served me the best so far. Valugard products are used by more auto manufactuers than any other single brand. It's body shop safe and that is what matters most to me. I've used a lot of other chemicals from back in my detail shop days, but I don't remember the names of them. Most people wouldn't need them anyway. I don't know too many guys interested in ordering a gallon of trim and rubber renewer or a gallon of acid bath.

OCDETAILS BLOG

another quick question- i did the whole wofgang process (clean,strip,clay,seal) then the following week i added another layer of sealer......lets say a month or 2 from now i decide to add another layer of sealer do i have to strip off the old stuff 1st??

if not every how often do u need to strip the old stuff and how often should i clay ???

Let me put it this way... NXT is > than S100. Applying S100 over the top would be like putting on a bullet proof vest and then a down parka. Which do you think is going to do the real protecting. ;) The S100 will help the car clean up easier though. Dirt doesn't seem to stick to S100 as well as it does to other products. Your car is still going to get dusty and dirty, but it will wash up easier.

You don't have to strip off old layers until you are going to polish and clay the paint. I would say that you are probably good till Spring as far as the claying goes. It is likely that if you clay now that you will need to clay again in a few months anyway. Winter is harsh on cars that way. White and silver cars are going to see what I'm talking about a little better than dark cars, but the damage happens to everybody.

I would at least clay every 6 months, but if you spend a lot of time on the freeway or your car spends a lot of time near industrial areas or the airport then you will need to do it more often. I know guys who clay their car every 3 months because they can't stand to feel the rough surface of their car. Put your hand in a plastic baggie and run it over the surface. If you feel bumps then it is time to clay. If you see swirls then its time to polish. Car care is very subjective to your personal level of OCD and what the conditions are of the paint.

OCDETAILS BLOG

hey ocd i got my car back from the body shop and they said that i would have to wait 30 days before sealant. but that they waxed it to last the 30 days.

do you think i would need to strip the old stuff off or would i be ok to just use the sealant?

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

You would have to. Sealants won't bond to waxes. Most sealants have a paint cleaner product that is designed to prep the paint and provide a good surface for the sealant to bond to. I would use something like that before you put a sealant down.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup. That would do the trick. After the 30 days you should be able to do whatever you need to the car to make it look perfect. Make sure it is smooth before you seal it. Often there is a lot of overspray from the paint shop on other parts that they don't bother to clay off. Simple claying will fix the problem though.

OCDETAILS BLOG

How would you compare WolfGang to S100?

When the snow flies around here... the city uses a LOT of ice slicer.... which in turn ends up on the car!

I'm looking for something that will act as the S100 described above. Very low adhesive characteristics. Where EVERYTHING that gets on the car can just be rinsed off!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Wolfgang holds it's own against the elements, but S100 is the best product I've used for that kind of thing. However, S100 is nothing in comparison to Wolfgang when protection is concerned.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yeah, it will work.. but something like this is really better. It is flexible and easier to avoid grinding under the spoiler and hood scoop. I love my flexible backing plate for just that reason. The one you get will hold the pads just fine, but an upgrade is always out there. Your pads will always outlast your backing plate anyway. I still have the first backing plate I got a gillion years ago. The velcro on it is just as good as it was the day I got it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Just tried Meguiar’s NXT. It is awesome. I cant believe I was wasting my time with all those other steps. It even appears to have some anti-static properties. now nthe real test, lets see how long it lasts.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

^^That's what I was wondering about the WolfGang.

I'd like the car to NOT collect as much dust sitting in the garage overnight! Plus... I REALLY REALLY want the protection from that ice slicer on the roads when the snow hits!

Sweet! Thanks for this thread! Clay bar-ing the car was one of the best things I've ever tried! Meguier's NXT works pretty well, goes on easy, comes off easy. Now the car looks awesome, very low destortion in the reflections and very even color on the car.

Archived