LegacyGT.com

Why are you still waxing your car?

meh.... It ain't the greatest for looks, but it certianly has some durability to it. It's a good product if you don't really care much about car care and want something that lasts a long time. It won't win you any car shows, but it will last longer than a lot of sealants out there. I don't usually wait for my sealants to wear off before I put on another coat, so the durabilty of Liquid Glass doesn't attract me. I want products that look amazing as well as being durable and good protection.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, spent a nice slow 4 hours on the legacy(RBP) yesterday. got up early, nice and cool, plenty of shade. 3X washed with gold class wash, then clay bar, then washed 1nc more. THEN, NXT!! holy crud buckets!!! i think i now need to learn how to use less product. i usually do one thin circle around the outside of the pad for 2 panels. i was SO stoked, and just as i was buffing out the last of it, IT STARTED TO RAIN!!!! murphy's law... all out of nowhere...light rain though...when it was done, i took the MF towels and wiped her down again... this tihs gets addicting, ya know??

tx again to OCD for all the help...now i'm off to go order the 6"backing plate(i thought the 7336 came with, but mine's a 5") and new pad set...

Hey OCDetails... when I was detailing my car this past weekend... I had some issues with spots. After I washed and dried the car Friday night, I let it sit in the garage to dry fully. The next morning, I went out to clay bar the car and found that there were what appeared to be hard water spots all over the hood, roof, trunk, and sides (above the beltline).

The clay bar would not remove the spots. I also tried the NTX, but it wouldn't touch them, either. I couldn't feel them with my nail, but it appeared to be stains in the clearcoat.

After messing around for a few hours, I tried Mequires cleaner wax and found that a quick application (wiped off immediately) would make the spots disappear. So... I did the entire car this way... and followed up with a good coat of NTX.... 2 hour cure, and hand buff off. I did a repeat coat for the hood and trunk with NTX.

The car turned out great and I am very happy with the results. However, now if you look at the reflection of a bright light in the paint, especially at night, you can still see the water spots.

Any suggestions?

Try this.... soak a towel in vinegar and set that on top of the spots for 3 or 4 minutes. Then wash the area with soapy water and see how it looks. Often times the acids in vinegar will do the trick on water spot stains like that. However, if this is a deeper problem that has stained or etched deep into the clear coat then there might be some heavier polishing that needs to be done.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Prolly a late reply....but I still have yet to purchase what is necessary to fully detail the exterior of my lgt.

I was gonna run this by ya to see what you thought.

In succession:

1: Wash with NXT thoroughly.

2: Polish/clean w/ Meguiar's polisher/cleaner.

3: WolfGang's sealant.

Supplies: California dry blade, Absorber, microfiber towel and Porter Cable suggested on your website.

Would this provide a decent detail to the exterior?

Thanx Anthony... you da maing!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Any feedback?

I'm really wanting to do this before winter get's into full swing here.....but I wanna do it the right way!

I guess it may not be that big of a deal. I'll be picking up a beater truck for the winter usage....so the LGT will stay in the garage for durations.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

It doesn't sound wrong, but I went with Wolfgang's Prewax Cleaner for your step 2. It's a new car, so there was no need to use any sort of abrasive polish. I don't have a PC, so everything went on by hand.

Prepping for winter, I'd do step 3 a couple more times (weather permitting) after your next washes. This will layer on more sealant protection. Beware of when/where you do this--the sealant apparently needs a good 12 hours to cure without any water (including dew)--your garage should be good for that.

I also found that a quick detailer (any will do) is useful the next day to take care of the inevitable water spots or other things missed earlier.

BTW, I'm not a detailing expert. Just a follower of the OCD gospel and have found that it makes sense and works for me. Got my stuff from premiumautocare and got a couple of free MF towels thrown in--good stuff and great service.

Cool. I do in fact have a garage for the sealant to cure. I'm not gonna use wax.

As for winter... I'm gonna be purchasing a little daily driver beat-up truck for winter, so the LGT shouldn't take too much of a whoopin!

Hopefully.... I don't mess this detail job up! I just want the OBP to look good. Or atleast much better than it has with a simply wash & dry job like I've been doing!

It deserves more than the simple operation!

Hey OCDetails, I just found this thread and went through it. Awesome info! I had a couple questions for you..

1) what off the shelf pre-wax cleaner do you recommend? Just bought my new car 3weeks ago and threw on some meguiar's wax, need to take it off before i put sealant on it.

2) can paint sealants like meguiar's NXT wear out the clear coat on our cars? Since it does remove some minor swirls, is it going to wear off some of the clear coat? And how often should I apply sealant if I want my clearcoat to last for years?

Thanks!

There are a few pre-wax paint cleaners out there that work really well. Klasse All In One is probably my favorite. It is a chemical abrasive that will remove pretty much anything on the surface of the car and prep it for sealants or waxes. Most sealants have a pre-wax cleaner like this. Wolfgang has one as well, but I haven't had a chance to test it against AIO just yet. I would wager that it is just as effective at removing oxidation and grime just like AIO does. Since you car is new I wouldn't think that it needs any serious cleaning anyway. What I would suggest is that you get the Wolfgang pre-wax polish enhancer and the sealant together. That will look awesome on your car. My last car was white and I got nothing but envious looks when I was using Wolfgang on it.

Clear coat isn't exceptionaly thick stuff. At the very most you are looking at a layer of clear paint that is no thicker than an index card. Even so, it takes a pretty abrasive product to wear it down much. The most abrasive product in my collection will remove .10 mil of clear coat with every pass. That is pretty agressive stuff, but it would only be used in extreme situations. Your average polish wouldn't remove anywhere near that amount of clear coat. Mostly what it does is just round off the scratches and swirls so you can't see them anymore.

Something like NXT will never wear through your clear coat. It may have minor abrasives in it, but they are more like the kind of abrasives that would remove a layer of wax. Clear coat is still pretty dang hard to remove and NXT isn't agressive enough to cut the clear very much at all.

If you want your car to look good for years to come then I would suggest putting a new layer of sealant on every 8 to 10 weeks. That will keep it looking fresh and well protected. Most sealants will last 12 weeks or longer, but if you want to make sure you keep it protected then I would reapply every two months or so.

OCDETAILS BLOG

im going to ask here since this has kinda turned into the Ask OCDetails thread..

what do you think about this mothers powerball thing?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X25V0/104-6693416-8530316?v=glance&n=553294&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I haven't used it personally, but I do know people who have used different versions of this type of thing. It does have it's uses, but just not any that I can see being useful on a Legacy. Mostly people use them for polishing chrome and shiny stuff like that.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I haven't used it personally, but I do know people who have used different versions of this type of thing. It does have it's uses, but just not any that I can see being useful on a Legacy. Mostly people use them for polishing chrome and shiny stuff like that.

emm helooooo

http://www.stimpco.com/coppermine/albums/cars/LGT/normal_LGT-003.jpg

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

:lol: ok then, so you might find some use for it. lol To make up for my boo boo here is a little cheaper option for you. PAC sells the Mother's polishing ball too for a couple bucks more, but there really isn't much difference from what I've been told. Plus you get your 10% discount. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

OC, I think you are on to something here about sealants...I was told recently by a reputable shop that this stuff is supposed to be the absolute best sh*t:

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-liquid-car-waxes/Synthetic-Sealant

I didn't buy it because it was $40 or something like that and because my car is brand spanking new. But I am definately going to get it after this winter is over to recover from all the sand salt etc..Just wondering how I handle this tuff around my clearbra.

Don't negelct your paint just because it's new. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

#21 is good stuff. The problem is that you can only buy it in those big jugs. You can buy #20 (polymer sealant) in 16 ounce bottles for much less. Those are both great sealants as far as protection and durablity goes. They do lack a little in looks though. You can get protection and durablity AND great looks out of a lot of different products. If I were using #20 or #21 then I would probably get 3 or 4 coats on and then top it with a coat of #26 (carnauba). That would look great I think.

Meguiar's have had these sealants for a long time. Since they are pretty much only sold in automotive paint supply shops where usually only professionals are shopping for car care products, I think they are largly unknown to the rest of the country. I'm a huge fan of Meguiar's. You can't go wrong with anything they make. They make it right the first time usually.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Menzerna and Klasse are pretty much the same. Excellent durabilty and gloss but really not much as far as mind blowing appearance. If you want durabilty and appearance then Zaino is a good option. With most selants you need to wait 24 hours between coats for the sealant to cure properly. Zaino has an additive you can use that makes the sealant cure instantly. Since most sealants look better the more layers you put on it is nice to be able to bust out your coats in one day.

I'm a big Wolfgang fan currently. It came out a year or two ago and I have been nothing but impressed. I would recommend it for anybody with any color of car. Some sealants look better on some colors, but Wolfgang seems to do well on any color. Durability is about 12 to 15 weeks depending on your environment.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Zaino. Used it for years on my Mustang and haven't let up on the LGT. If you want to see the pearl in the paint, zaino will bring it out. If you don't live in or close to New Jersey, it's online under www.zainobros.com

I know others that use Wolfgang stuff, and it's really close to a wash in the difference, I personally use zaino and won't change due to the procedures involved. Don't forget the claybar after you get the old wax/polish off. It makes a world of difference.

I personally use zaino and won't change due to the procedures involved.

I'm certianly not going to try to convert you from Zaino or anything, but what procedures are you talking about? You aren't under the impression that Wolfgang is harder to use than Zaino, are you? If anything it is quite the opposite. Zaino is awesome and if you are happy with it then don't change, but I'm curious if you have used Wolfgang and what specifically is your reason for staying with Zaino. Just professional curiosity more than anything.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived