LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

Thanks guys, this has been a fun journey that wouldn't have been possible without this forum and everything you guys have helped with. I might cry...

I just took the granny wagon for an exhilarating 1.0 mile drive around the block and it's awesome to have the car moving under it's own power again.

Tomorrow I'll give her a nice bath and rubdown and figure out why the BtSsm boost/vacuum gauge is stuck at 0. But first, I'll give myself a much (more) needed shower and enjoy a peaceful night's sleep.

I slept like a baby the night I got the wagon running. You'll feel the best you have in a long while tomorrow morning! I'm glad we're all here to help you. I never would've rescued mine either, had the LGT community not been so knowledgeable and apt to helping me. I'm glad to have the chance to give that back to folks like you (and many others on here). :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/1e9830b41b831090b1728bbfe3f6c2e4.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/edfb7ce2093f936e01a3a555e78a0afb.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/cf3d6d1eeae57b16dbbd8c2cf93365e8.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/cd27f445dd7454d70e84f4462b5e3d24.jpg

Congrats!! This is why I read the forums, one man, one garage, the internet and some tools getting it done. Everyone seems to over complicate these engines and make it seem like rocket science. When all it takes is a little patience, grit and a can of beer. This is what working on cars is all about, the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment. You also have a new skill under your belt and next time it will be simpler, easier and faster. This is also well documented and very resourceful for the first timers so kudos for the attention to detail and all the pics!! Edited by Tehnation

The little city driving I did last night and this morning's commute both went well. I think the motor has about 40 miles on it. Coolant temp stays where it should, there are no funny noises, tons of stinky smoke pours out of the scoop because of the painted/wrapped exhaust, power feels smooth, the turbo sounds great with the catless UP, and the misfiring isn't completely gone.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, you heard that correctly. Time to inspect (again) everything I haven't already replaced, starting with the wiring for the coil pack and injector. A rebuilt motor has it's benefits, but it hurts to think that it probably wasn't 100% necessary. I made the best decision I could with what information I had at the time, apparently I should have gathered a little more data before moving forward with the rebuild. Let's not talk about that very much right now though. I'd like to enjoy the car for a while before I go back under the hood. And if my wife asks, yes, the "problem is fixed". I just have some fine tuning electrical gremlins to hunt down.

To keep this thread on-topic I'll post stuff about my misfires in my other thread.

Edited by StkmltS

That motor's not broken in yet!

Give it some time. You can expect slightly wonky compression until the rings seat. Misfires even, maybe.

You also want it to use a little oil. At this point, I think the single most important thing to monitor is oil consumption. Check it carefully every hundred miles or so.

Everything else can wait while you confirm that the bottom end is solid and tight.

Typically, the first sign that the rings aren't seating is continued oil consumption. In the old days, you could almost watch them seat as the blue cloud on high vacuum slowly disappeared over a few hundred miles. Our modern cats do such a good job of scrubbing, you'll never see any blue.

I know you want to keep your misfire discussion in the other thread, but what have you been seeing? Just a small roughness count in a given cylinder at idle, or a misfire code actually came up?

The misfires are in cylinder 2 and they appear to only be occurring at idle. The log this morning shows roughness getting as high as 36.

The misfire code for cyl#2 is still disabled in my ROM :cool:

Back to good news:

My boost gauge (BtSsm) wasn't working because the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor was disconnected. Vacuum/boost is displayed properly now that the hose is back where it should be.

I'm very happy with my decision to have no 'traditional' gauges in the car. I'm sure I'll get grief for it at the one Subaru event I try to go to each year, but BtSsm is a beautiful creation that shouldn't have to share any attention with other gauges.

mmh. Yeah, 36 will throw a code if it occurs more than once in a short amount of time unfortunately. I consider myself a 'pro at this :lol: (i.e. as to when a code will be thrown depending on the roughness count) since I was watching my misfire count almost every single evening when leaving work with the 06. Even now that my car is fixed, I am still so scared to see a number pop up..

So, should I keep asking questions here or should I wait for you to be active in your misfire thread :)?

Edited by xt2005bonbon

The misfires are in cylinder 2 and they appear to only be occurring at idle. The log this morning shows roughness getting as high as 36.

The misfire code for cyl#2 is still disabled in my ROM :cool:

. . . snip

Something that high will need to be looked into, but it is not going to damage anything in the short run, and it may go away on its own.

Break the engine in. You may be drawing oil up past the rings just enough to drop the flash point below threshold at idle.

And the good news is, checking oil every morning after sitting overnight is not going to draw any attention around the household ;) I wouldn't do anything beyond that (oh, and watch your coolant level, of course) until at least the 500 mile changeout.

What did you see in the 10 minute oil? Any metal? Dirt?

mmh. Yeah, 36 will throw a code if it occurs more than once in a short amount of time unfortunately. I consider myself a 'pro at this :lol: (i.e. as to when a code will be thrown depending on the roughness count) since I was watching my misfire count almost every single evening when leaving work with the 06. Even now that my car is fixed, I am still so scared to see a number pop up..

So, should I keep asking questions here or should I wait for you to be active in your misfire thread :)?

I'm going to post something in there this afternoon. So far the misfires have only been happening at mph=zero.

Something that high will need to be looked into, but it is not going to damage anything in the short run, and it may go away on its own.

Break the engine in. You may be drawing oil up past the rings just enough to drop the flash point below threshold at idle.

And the good news is, checking oil every morning after sitting overnight is not going to draw any attention around the household ;) I wouldn't do anything beyond that (oh, and watch your coolant level, of course) until at least the 500 mile changeout.

What did you see in the 10 minute oil? Any metal? Dirt?

The 30 minute oil had a very metallic shimmer / sheen to it, and it was quite dirty. The color was probably about halfway between brand new and black oil.

My wife knows I won't be "FINISHED" with the car for a few thousand miles, and she really doesn't car what I do to it. I can spend time and money on it as a hobby, but her concern (and mine) is that once fixed, it shouldn't NEED absurd amounts of time and money to keep it alive.

Having 100% confidence that that the motor internals are good, I'm not worried about the misses. It annoys and frustrates me, but I don't think it's a threat to the motor.

There are still many holes in this thread (final valve clearances, wbo2 setup problem, pre-start pics, oil change details) that I'm going to fill in, I've just been super busy at work lately and haven't had much time to play around online.

Edited by StkmltS

Swap some things around like the coil pack, plugs and injectors see if the pattern follows. Shouldn't take long and you can rule out a lot of things, worse case do a compression/leak down test. Edited by Tehnation

If you swap everything and you still get misfire in 2, then inspect air, check fuel trims, etc. Make sure intake manifold/tgv bolts/gaskets for that cylinder aren't leaking air. Only reasons a single cylinder would misfire is spark, fuel or air...hopefully, otherwise look mechanical, hence the compression/leakdown.

I have spare plugs, coil packs, an extra injector, a smoke tester, and a leak-down tester. (Almost) all of my vacuum hoses are 1-year old silicone, as is the turbo inlet, and the IC>TB hose is brand new. I went through all of these things for the first two years I had the car trying to find the cause. I thought I found a cracked piston, so the rebuild happened.

It has to be something I haven't looked at yet. My other thread has plenty of details on what I've already tried. No sense in starting back at zero just because it's a new motor.