LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

I'm really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hoping it's not the rear main seal. I have zero desire to ever disconnect the transmission from the motor ever again. Maybe I'll feel differently in the spring when it warms up.

Is it engine lube oil, gear oil, or power steering fluid? I don't recall this was settled a few pages ago . . .

Is it engine lube oil, gear oil, or power steering fluid? I don't recall this was settled a few pages ago . . .

It's not settled. I'm semi-ignoring it and hoping it goes away. Isn't that how these kinda things work?

I'm due for my 1,500 mi oil change, and I'll try to get pictures while I'm in there this time. Maybe I can mount my borescope somewhere up in there that it won't melt and take a video while I'm driving. I'm sure as snot the cord will reach that far.

Edited by StkmltS

• 2 weeks later...

Almost 2k on the motor and all appears to be well... other than the occasional wet spot on the driveway. I've been catching whiffs of coolant lately, and the turbo inlet has some crusty coolant spots on it, so maybe that's my problem.

Yesterday I turned the boooooooost back up to the stock levels. It feels awesome, awesome I tell you! After flashing the boost back up actual boost was about 3psi less than target boost. Well, apparently I've been driving around for about a year without the boost restrictor pill. I saved all of my old vacuum lines so it was an easy fix digging out the pill and putting it into my new(er) line. Target boost and actual boost are friends again.

Yesterday I turned the boooooooost back up to the stock levels. It feels awesome, awesome I tell you! After flashing the boost back up actual boost was about 3psi less than target boost. Well, apparently I've been driving around for about a year without the boost restrictor pill. I saved all of my old vacuum lines so it was an easy fix digging out the pill and putting it into my new(er) line. Target boost and actual boost are friends again.

Ah. I see why you were asking about that in the other thread.

2000 on the rebuild, 111151 on the car. I've been seeing a little bit of knock lately between shifts and/or at low load, but zero knock at WOT. I've been playing around with several idle tables in my tune so the LVs aren't worth much right now. I logged a 2nd/3rd gear pull yesterday and it felt smooth all the way up to my temporary 5k rev limit. The BtSsm "dyno" says 243hp / 251tq. Those numbers probably aren't very accurate but it's still fun to see them. So what, a good estimate would say 73% of that would be measured at the wheels?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161123/64f40754e300329f04274edef1a69022.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161123/ac300a3c5d805bd7ab8bba5ef26f04d5.jpg

The BtSsm "dyno" says 243hp / 251tq. Those numbers probably aren't very accurate but it's still fun to see them. So what, a good estimate would say 73% of that would be measured at the wheels?

Those BtSsm estimated dyno numbers are probably at the wheels, not the crank. How much boost?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 3 weeks later...

About 2.5k miles on the motor and all is well. It's still occasionally leaving tiny little wet spots on my driveway, but it's only leaking maybe a teaspoon a week.

Based on dipstick observations the motor is consuming (+leaking) a small, but measurable, amount of oil. I'll calculate exactly how much is being consumed when I switch over to synthetic (Starting amount + amount added - ending amount = amount consumed). My guess is that's it'll be somewhere in the ballpark of 1-1.5 qts per 3k miles. From what I've seen so far I'm not concerned. I'm keeping my eye one it, just not concerned.

Those BtSsm estimated dyno numbers are probably at the wheels, not the crank. How much boost?

I'm on the stock boost tables, so 13.54 psi. I'm overboosting a tad and I think I'm seeing closer to 14.5 psi. I'm not totally sure though because I can't find the log I took on 11/22-23 and I haven't logged anything at full-boost since then.

It could be overboosting a bit simply because it is colder.

How's the misfiring issue? Have you checked the spark plug?

The missing hasn't changed since I last played around with the AFR tables. 98% of the time it misses at idle, the other 2% is pleasantly miss-free. I haven't done crap with the spark plugs yet, and probably won't until the spring :lol:

I'm super interested in seeing how the oil consumption settles down long term on this build. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Are the misfires continuing same as before?

Tickle me sideways and call me on Monday if cylinder "F" doesn't bump my oil consumption above the 1-1.5 qts per ≈3k mi that many people on here regard as typical.

The misses improved significantly after I made the target AFR super rich at idle. Previously the 'roughness count' would climb close to 40 in cyl 2 (the worst cylinder), now it rarely goes above 20.

Edited by StkmltS
The question asker deleted his question, but I left in my answer anyways because I'm cool like that

FWIW regarding oil consumption:

Mine ate a lot of oil and misfired quite a bit till about 1000 miles. After my dyno tune at 1200 miles it completely stopped. It hasn't eaten a drop since, granted I'm only at about 3300 miles. Perhaps you need to give it some beans and seal those rings up? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

FWIW regarding oil consumption:

Mine ate a lot of oil and misfired quite a bit till about 1000 miles. After my dyno tune at 1200 miles it completely stopped. It hasn't eaten a drop since, granted I'm only at about 3300 miles. Perhaps you need to give it some beans and seal those rings up? :)

Oh, the beans have been given! I haven't driven it as hard, as long, as it would see in an autoX race, but I punch it quite often. My redline is set at 5k and I've bounced off of it several times. Look at me! I'm a badass 'cause I can bounce off my lowered redline!

Would have figured that you've done some WOT and engine braking by this point...essentially, to get those rings settled.

To make everyday driving more fun I've been working on rev-matching my downshifts during braking, IMO engine braking kind of happens during that. My daily roads aren't very fun so I look for entertainment anywhere I can.

Sometimes I pretend I'm in an IMSA race and all of the other cars around me are in lower classes :lol: Then another scooped Subaru shows up and I follow him/her for a while until I remember I have a wife and 4 kids waiting for me at home and I can't die today :spin:

Edited by StkmltS

Sometimes I pretend I'm in an IMSA race and all of the other cars around me are in lower classes :lol: Then another scooped Subaru shows up and I follow him/her for a while until I remember I have a wife and 4 kids waiting for me at home and I can't die today :spin:

It kinda sucks that reality seeps into our fantasy pretend times behind the wheel. Right there with you... :spin:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So true. I'm pretty sure I'd get yelled at and punished if I went and died today...

John Hancock

le mans typically doesn't have to deal with out-of-control deer populations. Here in the UpState, there's the twisty-road fun, but it's coupled with constant collision avoidance practice. :(
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Very impressive. I'm pretty sure my budget was blown due to the method of building an engine on the side and swapping out engines in under a week. Few large expensive parts were reused.

Being pressed for time definitely doesn't make it easy. Maybe you could clean-up and resell the used "large expensive parts" to offset some of your expenses?

Was a break in tune necessary? If so was it done yourself?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I did it myself, so whether or not it was necessary wasn't a factor for me.

Looking backwards: a break-in tune for my 99% stock rebuild probably wasn't absolutely critical. It certainly didn't hurt though. My tune pretty much consisted of limiting boost to the wastegate minimum and lowering the redline. It wasn't fancy but it did the job of helping me be easy on the motor.