LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

• 2 years later...

You have been busy! 6 kids and this thread is 62 pages.

Did you ever replace your coils? just curious.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

You have been busy! 6 kids and this thread is 62 pages.

Did you ever replace your coils? just curious.

Yep, I replaced the coils before the rebuild.

Busy is an understatement. Keeping the LGT drivable is almost the most that I can manage.

That's good though, because if I had more disposable time I'd probably end up doing bad things to my ND Miata... which would undoubtedly make it a much less reliable daily driver.

• 11 months later...
While your at the fill tube, make sure you inspect the evap lines and replace them if rusted while your there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 months later...

My rear brake lines decided to evacuate all fluid onto the highway only a few days after the LGT became my primary vehicle. I managed to finish my drive home completely terrified but otherwise unscathed. The lines that failed were under the gas tank in front of the rear passenger wheel. Fortunately the brake line corrosion recall applied to my car because it was previously registered in one of the covered states (Michigan), so I dropped it off at my local Subaru dealership (https://www.josephsubaru.com/) and they let me drive home a '20 Legacy. They expected to have my car done the next day... 4 months later and the LGT is fixed. Apparently they can't overnight parts from Japan like that speedshop does in the original FF.

This is not the place to discuss my Miata but I can't resist giving you guys a peek. Attached pics show what the car has become. I've put several hundred miles on it and it feels great. Everything works except my high beams and cruise control. To address the minor, some might even dare to say "significant" changes, I'm making body panels for the front and adding aero goodies to the rear.

20220613 (4).jpg

20220622_211746 - Copy.jpg

20220811_210019 - Copy.jpg

20220902_222111 - Copy.jpg

20220831_223437 - Copy.jpg

Edited by StkmltS
Corrected age of loaner car
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Time flies when you're having fun... approaching 8 years on the rebuilt motor. I rarely drive the LGT, almost exclusively only on bad weather days when I know we'll see heavy rain or snow, or when I need to take more than 1 of my kids somewhere. The misfire still exists at 0mph but I've learned to live with it and it doesn't irritate me too much anymore.

A couple pics of my DD for fun. This summer I hope to tear off the rear end and give it the same treatment as the front. The kids wanted to paint a lightning bolt on the hood... why not?

20230624_155703.jpg

20230701_121851.jpg

Edited by StkmltS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 1:11 PM, Max Capacity said:

Make sure you update the thread about the brake line recall.

That must have been scary. 

Yes, do add this to the thread.  From what I learned, you are one of the few where a subi-dealer took on the replacement under recall.  On my 2005 wagon the records showed they had already dealt with it a few years earlier (under different owner) which amounted to nothing more than some wire brush work and anti-corrosion oil. The lines eventually failed in my driveway -- lucky me -- but I had to do the repair myself -- unlucky me. It is a huge job to do by the book.  I think I added a writeup about it somewhere else on the site a few years back.