LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

I thought the 3 pin connector to the TGV sensor has a +5V supply, not a +12V supply. The +5V supply is very low power, not meant to drive a relay, it's just meant to supply the Voltage to the potentiometer that is the TGV position sensor. But my memory could be failing me.

I think you're right because when I hooked up my oil pressure sender through the driver side TGV sensor it was a struggle to get the wires correct. Two different configurations yielded very similar results.

I'm holding off on the wbo2 for a while (hours/days, depending on how the first start goes) so that I can install it cleanly and safely.

Yup, that's your wastegate reference line... sooooo you have no boost control at the moment. As a quick holdover, if you want wastegate pressure, just run a line from the compressor to the actuator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Roger that.

I remember keeping it on when I took the turbo off, and I remember taking it off before I sent it to JMP. I know it's here somewhere. I also remember replacing it with blue silicone hose a year or so ago so it shouldn't be too hard to find once I clean the garage for the 27th time in two months.

Roger that.

I remember keeping it on when I took the turbo off, and I remember taking it off before I sent it to JMP. I know it's here somewhere. I also remember replacing it with blue silicone hose a year or so ago so it shouldn't be too hard to find once I clean the garage for the 27th time in two months.

My favorite part was having a window open on the wagon, and a dead battery. Every time I would sweep, the interior got a light coating of delicious garage dust.... do that 7 times and you're black leather is grey. :spin:

Ps- I win!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160917/3f39d78b19ea41563015196c20df9077.jpg

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Found it in a bag with the three bolts I thought were MIA.

So far ZERO missing pieces for the entire project!

So... IS IT RUNNING YET?!?!

I went to bed around 4:30 and apparently about 4 hours is all my mind wanted me to sleep. I'm like a kid waking up super early on Christmas morning.

Before I crashed last night I pumped about 5 quarts of oil into the crankcase via the stock oil pressure switch location. This morning there's a small wet spot right under the center of the motor. I held off crying until I got under the car... it was just a slightly loose oil drain plug. Excuse me while I go change my pants.

So let me guess, no torque marking on that plug, right? ;)

Can't wait for the all's clear post!

+2 - inquiring minds want to know what's going on. We're, what, +9 hours past scheduled light-off now?

ASA though - take your time, and go over it all one more time, then post the video.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I turned the motor over using the starter for about 30 seconds and there isn't a single drop of anything on the fresh piece of cardboard. So far so good.

I'm putting in the spark plugs and first start will happen before 4pm EST.

I should have included adult diapers in my budget.

Eh, I can't relax quite yet. I have water (only) in the coolant system to keep my garage clean in case of leaks. I ran the motor up to operating temp and then shut it off and checked the fluid levels. I let it cool down and then started it up a second time to run for ~20 min while my dad and I started our cigars and bourbon. About 15 minutes into it the water started boiling and leaked out somewhere near the turbo. I assume it came from the remote reservoir cap. I wasn't "exactly" paying as much attention as I should have been and I haven't looked at the log yet to see how hot the motor got. I've ran it up to temp twice since then and it hasn't repeated itself. Hopefully the leakage was just the combination of air in the system and water-only and I don't have a cracked hose anywhere.

Time for oil change #1 and replacing the water with coolant.

I'll post pics of the oil later tonight.

The video of the first start vid (and my happy dance) will be uploaded to youtube in a few minutes.

Edited by StkmltS

just watched it. Again good job man :).

just in case: on btssm, I'd personally keep an eye on misfires, make sure that both ocv are in sync and both around zero when cruising, and the other obvious parameters: fuel trims, fkc, flkc, actual boost and boost target. should also check your timing at idle just to confirm it is reaching aroung 12.5 deg IIRC for a manual. in any case, it sounded pretty good on your video.

Thanks guys, this has been a fun journey that wouldn't have been possible without this forum and everything you guys have helped with. I might cry...

I just took the granny wagon for an exhilarating 1.0 mile drive around the block and it's awesome to have the car moving under it's own power again.

Tomorrow I'll give her a nice bath and rubdown and figure out why the BtSsm boost/vacuum gauge is stuck at 0. But first, I'll give myself a much (more) needed shower and enjoy a peaceful night's sleep.