LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

Also, I think I have like 35 buckets lying around right now. I need to measure them to see what I have exactly.

How about you toss them in a flat-rate box and send them all to me. I'll sift through the lot and catalog all of them for you (bucket # and actual thickness), I'll take the ones I need, donate all of my unused ones back into your big set, and then send them all back to you accompanied by a crispy $20 dollar bill.

Seriously, think about it ;)

So much for having an easy time with the buckets. Yikes!

Valve lash on 8/27/16 post-rebuild (all valves are new) without the timing belt installed, no re-arranging or grinding (yet):

Intake

Cyl 1, 11-front (0.0015"), 12-rear (0")

Cyl 2, 21-front (0"), 22-rear (0")

Cyl 3, 31-front (0"), 32-rear (0")

Cyl 4, 41-front (0"), 32-rear (0")

Exhaust

Cyl 1, 13-front (0.014"), 14-rear (0.004")

Cyl 2, 23-front (0.0155"), 24-rear (0.0155")

Cyl 3, 33-front (0.010"), 34-rear (0.012")

Cyl 4, 43-front (0.012"), 44-rear (0.011")

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some rocket science to perform.

I can't stand these reported measurements in imperial units :hide:

Edit: actually I just re-read your post and saw that you posted them in metric as well. But no unit provided. Come on man. You're an engineer right?

Teasing ya.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

• Moderators
How about you toss them in a flat-rate box and send them all to me. I'll sift through the lot and catalog all of them for you (bucket # and actual thickness), I'll take the ones I need, donate all of my unused ones back into your big set, and then send them all back to you accompanied by a crispy $20 dollar bill.

Seriously, think about it ;)

Sent you a text.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The end of today's work. Kinda slow-going because one of the voices in my head told me the motor would look better with a fresh coat of paint on the dip stick tube and black coolant lines.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160827/356350d55661083fe624c67ef10a33bf.jpg

Wow... that's pretty. Kind of starts making voices in my head tell me the same thing.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Excellent progress!

Looks like the next step is to install cam seals and gears. Friendly heads-up at this point. It is easy to mess up the dowel pin alignment on the avcs gears -- I almost got bit, but got lucky.

There is a mark on the cam gear that shows the position of the hole for the dowel pin. That helps align things from the outside if you side mark the angle of the dowel on the block. You may also want to make a trial fit of the gear without the seal in place and note how far back it goes when it engages properly.

You have to use the cam bolt to draw the gear in the last little bit, but the body of the gear is unhardened steel and the pin is hard -- if you draw it in even slightly out of alignment there will be trouble. Try to get it part way in by hand.

Worst case scenario means you will need a new avcs gear, which is $$ and will cause a delay in progress. Once the gears are on and torqued the belt install should go smoothly.

Until I get the valve clearances set I'm pretty much in a holding pattern on everything else Subaru related. I'll pay extra close attention to the dowel pin alignment when the time comes.

My brother's truck broke down this week and needs looked at, my parents' suburban is leaking oil from the rear diff, the rear air suspension in my wife's van hasn't worked for a few months and needs looked at, my wife would really like the CD player fixed. It'll be a nice weekend. Bed Bath & Beyond, maybe we'll go to Home Depot and pick out some new tile. I don't know if we'll have time.

I should have all of BarManBean's buckets in a few days, then the Subaru games shall resume. I upgraded my drill press (aka "bucket mill") setup with an X-Y axis vice and a few new end mill bits, and I've been playing around with that to see if a square end milling bit will work to grind buckets instead of exclusively using small dremmel grinding stones. I was making good progress on a scrap piece of steel last night and then the capacitor popped... I can't find anywhere local that carries them in stock so I fed a few more dollars to the Amazonian beast and two new caps will be here tomorrow. She's already dropped of four shipments this week... I may have a problem.

Edited by StkmltS

capacitor popped? :confused:

Some motors, like the one on my drill press, have run capacitors that energize and keep the motor running. Other motors use start capacitors just to get them started. Its electricity, nobody knows exactly how it works. Kinda like our ECUs :lol:

Start cap on the motor.

Can you actually mill the hardened face of a cam bucket? I would think this is a grind only proposition.

With the proper equipment it can be done, but with what I have it's a long shot. It all depends on how hard they are. A few of my buckets need .010" or more removed so I'll start by just trying to mill off a thousandth and see what happens. After last night's practice session the best I'm hoping for is to just be able to rough them down with the end mill and clean up the last few thousandths with a grinding stone to get a good surface finish. All of this is assuming that I can't pull exactly what I need from BmB's set.

WARNING: Brilliant idea approaching...

We have a hardness tester here at work. Tomorrow I'll bring in a couple of buckets and measure how hard they are. I'm curious to see the difference between one that's been ground down and one that hasn't. It'll also tell me if I should expect to be able to mill them or not.

Edited by StkmltS

• Moderators

Something like 37 buckets headed your way, you should have them by Saturday.

If you want to wait on the hardness testing (:dm:) I think there are a number of buckets in my collection that are in the 500+ sizes. It's more likely that you will need smaller buckets from what I've seen, but hard to say really.

Long story short, I'm probably sending you a bunch of duplicates. Might be worth measuring / cataloguing them and seeing what you have the most of and then sacrifice one or two for testing.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Something like 37 buckets headed your way, you should have them by Saturday.

If you want to wait on the hardness testing (:dm:) I think there are a number of buckets in my collection that are in the 500+ sizes. It's more likely that you will need smaller buckets from what I've seen, but hard to say really.

Long story short, I'm probably sending you a bunch of duplicates. Might be worth measuring / cataloguing them and seeing what you have the most of and then sacrifice one or two for testing.

Good idea.

The mic and bore gauge are nice and comfy in this little guy and they'll be leaving tomorrow.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/aebe4bf684814cf8946fb634a3d064a2.jpg

All that red paint has to be good for 5-10HP. ;)

You do realize you won't see much of that...

Maybe, but at least checking the oil will be a little more fun.

Speaking of fun... playing around with buckets to get the valve clearances correct isn't enjoyable.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160904/d372e2f5a8e02d39994ad830403f9e0f.jpg

Maybe, but at least checking the oil will be a little more fun.

Speaking of fun... playing around with buckets to get the valve clearances correct isn't enjoyable.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160904/d372e2f5a8e02d39994ad830403f9e0f.jpg

Especially in inches :hide: