LegacyGT.com

Data Logging, A Basic How To

rallispec

If anybody can help me that would be awesome.

I have a (cheap $15) serial cable - USB cable plugged into my AP cable plugged into my laptop. I open up the tari-logger, but it always displays disconnected.

When I plug in my USB cable (connected to the car through the AP cable) I get the computer saying it found new hardware, but it prompts me to look for a driver.

Don't know how to get a driver for it, or really what I should do to get things going.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anybody can help me that would be awesome.

I have a (cheap $15) serial cable - USB cable plugged into my AP cable plugged into my laptop. I open up the tari-logger, but it always displays disconnected.

When I plug in my USB cable (connected to the car through the AP cable) I get the computer saying it found new hardware, but it prompts me to look for a driver.

Don't know how to get a driver for it, or really what I should do to get things going.

Go to the Tari website, look under the OBD forum, there is info there about drivers.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Still can't figure this stuff out.

I'm not computer illiterate, just need a littl ebit of help to get my COM port working with my cable.

If anybody has time this afternoon to troubleshoot this thing with me (on-line or over phone) that would be awesome.

I promise when I get data-logging I will post my results.

it should of. did you install the software for the serial/usb adapter? and did you recalabrate the datalogging software to look for it on the differant COMM?

Yes, yes, yes, played around for 6 hrs on it.

Some computer expert that I talked to said some hardware configs like what I was doing just don't work.

My PCMI to serial connection works though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, read the thread through from beginning to end. :icon_bigg

Please pardon my ignorance, but let me start off with a very simple question.....

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

1)A laptop with a serial port, or

2)A USB to serial adapter (or PCMCIA to serial adapter)

3)OBD to Serial cable. I have been using the cable supplied with my Cobb AccessPort. Other cables are available for sale at http://www.tactrix.com/

1) - check. :)

It's the next three that's got me going ---> :confused:

So I go to the tactrix page, and click on the OpenPort 1.2 cable. Looks like the right thing to buy. Supports the Tari ECU Explorer, supports my vehicles.

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=31

So, this is a OBD-II to USB cable, right?

With this cable, would I still need the various serial-port adapters?

In other words, am I missing something, and that I cannot use this cable DIRECT to my computer's USB ports? I need to instead configure:

computer -> serial port -> serial-to-USB cable -> OpenPort 1.2 -> vehicle OBD-II

Or am I simply misunderstanding what brothe rallispec wrote, and instead, that this simple OpenPort 1.2 cable will allow me direct link between my laptop's USB port to the vehicle's OBD-II for logging?

Please help...somewhat very confused! :oops:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Ah! Thanks, bruddah! :D

Yet once again, READING > ALLEN! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Can these cables be bought at a local store such as staples, or circuit city? Or just online? Thanks

I haven't found one. There are some engine code reading things at auto parts stores that have obdii cables, some of them are permanently attached and some appear to be a standard serial cable connection. If you find one somewhere, let me know, I just can't spend $80 on a cable. I guess I'm cheap.

I just want to log, I don't want to flash my ecu.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Hey guys.... I'm new to logging. Wanted to get started. Read the first 5 pages then skipped to the end.

How to the professional tuners log data?

They must do it differently. With all the parameters to choose from it would be time consuming to only do 10 at a time and try to get a view of everything.

And so what if I am doing an E-Tune with a tuner from accross the country. How can I send him my data logging if I can only do a few parameters at a time.

Thanks

And so what if I am doing an E-Tune with a tuner from accross the country. How can I send him my data logging if I can only do a few parameters at a time.

^ Talk to the tuner - they should tell you which parameters they MUST have, and which would be "nice to have, also." :)

-------------

All-right, I am some kinda stupid.... :redface:

Currently trying to get my TacTrix OpenPort 1.2 USB-to-OBD cable to work. Downloaded the necessary drivers, still no-go. Just finished re-installing the Tari DL1 software on my wifey's laptop and running through all the update files - let's see if this gets me anywhere tonight.

Any tips/guidance would be appreciated! :D

So, can we get some common things to look for in the log?

For example, I saw a -2 KC...after letting off a WOT run. Did some searching and found out it is common and okay for a -2 or -3 KC to appear, along with ignition timing in the 40s (which it was).

Anything else like this that folks know?

Here's one, what is an okay range for A/F Correction #1 and is there anything to look for if there is a big jump in the %? Got some -14% to-18% just as revs come up and clutch engages. KC is 0 or 1, and ignition timing jumps from high teens into the 30s as car starts moving.

^All-right, I am some kinda stupid.... :redface:

Currently trying to get my TacTrix OpenPort 1.2 USB-to-OBD cable to work. Downloaded the necessary drivers, still no-go. Just finished re-installing the Tari DL1 software on my wifey's laptop and running through all the update files - let's see if this gets me anywhere tonight.

Ah...stuipd me! :redface: Using ecuExplorer did the trick! ;)

Ah...stuipd me! :redface: Using ecuExplorer did the trick! ;)

odd that it worked with ECU explorer and not Tari.. but oh well.. that's life.

i've got the ECU explorer walk through typed up --- need to edit the original post to include it....

^ I know, I was most puzzled.... I almost ended up returning the cable, until I happened on a post on the Tari Forum in which another Scooby onwer was having difficulty getting DL1 to work with his late-model vehicle. Another poster cited that DL1 was dated software, and that he should in-turn try ecuExplorer.

So, I thought, why the heck not!

And BINGO! :D

----

BTW, thanks a ton for your walk-through! :) It really got me going on this whole thing!

i cant get it to save a second datalog. The first one worked just fine, but i did more interesting log w/ knock timing and a/f ratios and it said it recorded but no spreadsheet was in my folder :(.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Archived