LegacyGT.com

Data Logging, A Basic How To

rallispec

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know the possible values for Ignition Advance Modifier?

Possible values are 0.0 - 1.0, with 0.50 being the value at ECU reset. Finding the addresses and figuring out the data representations are the tricky part. I've been testing a couple of things for Calvin and I suspect you'll see at least partial IAM support on the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

Being extremely interested in datalogging the OBD-II port, and having the AP cable and a laptop, I have researched the subject and find that virtually every reference called for a HARDWARE INTERFACE, except for this forum. As stated by one site,

"ISO, however, is a Godsend. This is because it uses a data-format that a standard PC UART can deal with, the only thing you need to do is to convert the RS232 voltage levels of the PC into the 12V OBD-II levels of the ECU interface."

Before I either muck up my laptop or my car's ECU can anyone comment, preferably about personal experience.

SeeeeeYa,

Since you have the necessary hardware, all you need is the Tari Logging software, available for free here! With it you can log, and then using DeltaDash demo, you can view your logs in a easy to read graphical format!

Also, if you only have USB ports on the laptop, you will need to pick up a USB to serial converter...

OK. OK. Got it. Since I have the AccessPORT I was not aware that DeltaDash was EcuTeK's software. Downloaded the demo version. And after rereading your post I understand. Thanks. Now all I have to do is give it a go! Anticipation....

OK. OK. Got it. Since I have the AccessPORT I was not aware that DeltaDash was EcuTeK's software. Downloaded the demo version. And after rereading your post I understand. Thanks. Now all I have to do is give it a go! Anticipation....

hope you're all cleared up on things.... Technically you dont need the delta dash software to view the logs.. but it can graphically display things which may make it a bit easier to understand.

but other than that, sounds like you've got the gist of things. Just plug the AP cable up the car, plug the other end to your usb/serial adapter and then to your laptop... then just fire up the TARI software and start logging.

For those who are interested, a new version of ECU Explorer is available on the Tari boards. I have verified that it reads load and IAM properly on a 2005 LGT, AJ17A ECU code.

i'm going to download it this weekend and try it out, and then i'll update the first post.

Another note - new release available (1.0.74) this morning that is supposed to fix the lockups some users see when datalogging multiple data items. This seems to be most common with the Cobb AP cable.

Link to the relase notes - http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1131613339/. Note that you may need to be logged in to the TARI forum to download the software.

With a LGT should I see positive or negative value for IAM? At idle I have

-15.98 at point OXFF2688.

Not the right address! You should be seeing a max value = 1 If you do a reset, it will start at 0.5, and then should jump up to 0.7 rather quickly, then after hitting boost for a few seconds, it should max at 1

What is EcuExplorer reading your ECU version? Try FF267C, this one works for mine.

The addresses for load and IAM vary per ECU type. The ECU type will be listed in the left pane of ECU Explorer when connected. This is also printed on the label on your ECU case, but may be changed if you are reflashed.

AJ17A: IAM = 0xFF2688, load = 0xFF50B0 early '05 LGT

AJ17B: IAM = 0xFF267C, load = 0xFF50B0 late '05 LGT

AJ17C: ??? anti stuttering reflash TSB for '05 LGT

I have to borrow a laptop from work but a least I can always load the program there. This hopefully will lead to some map sharing. That's why I snagged the laptop. Another member got a tune from the same tuner I used and got 20 ft-lbs more. So I got the map and logged it. Knock, AFR, IAM and boost all look good. I also monitored EGT but they were a constant value. Then it kicked in. I forgot I pulled the probe.:icon_bigg

Dynamic advance multiplier is the updated name for IAM (ignition advance multiplier) on the 2004+ ECUs. Not sure what you are seeing defined as dynamic advance but you can log total ignition advance as well as knock correction which should give a good picture of timing.

• 4 weeks later...

Time has passed, and I have finally logged some data. After getting the Belkin USB to serial cable driver software installed, installing the latest ecuExplorer software, securing my AP cable with duct tape and my Vaio with the seatbelt I set off to log some data. Success. However, because I wanted to compare my data with results from others I found no way to use the .pdf files everyone uses to share their data here. Simply renaming .pdf files to .csv, obviously, doesn't work. And, file converters do not work because, it seems to me, the files were altered by the initial csv to pdf conversion therefore, etc.

Where am I going wrong here. I'd like to both share some of my logs as well as compare data. So far I don't really like what I see but am unable to determine if it is 'normal'. Certainly, based on various information I've gleaned from our own forums as well as others I question both data values I have logged as well as my car's performance. Until I am sure the data captured is correct I cannot address the car.

I will say this: as has been reported I notice a significant increase in performance after a reset with a gradual softening of that performance over time. After reviewing my datalogs I see what I interpret as reasons why; timing being retarded. On the other hand I have looked at the raw data from pdf files on the formum and it appears my results are similar????!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived