LegacyGT.com

Data Logging, A Basic How To

rallispec

NP! :) Best of luck! :)

Just remember - datalogging is a specific tool. Look at the guys who are/were having trouble with part-throttle hesitation/"stuttering"/"studdering," and look at how their logs differ from the WOT logs.

That's certainly not to say that you couldn't do a few WOT pulls in the middle of a longer "daily driving" log run, but remember, the longer your log, the more you have to look at!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks TSi

Reading and learning much as possible. Got a RR, and reading on what parameters to log etc...but didn't see under what conditions people were logging data. Thanks. Going to do some DD logs, and getting base line data to compare against once I go STG 2.

The tuning generally doesn't change for idle and cruise when you do power upgrades, so 3rd gear pulls are the usual thing for the kind of comparison that you're looking for. See section 12:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5384

^ Forget Section 12 - just read *every* NSFW authored "basic" posts that he's made on RR.com . They're a gold-mine of information. :) The two threads he's linked to in the very top of the thread he's outlinked to are essential reads for beginners as well as laymen like myself: for anyone who is looking to datalog to check the health of the vehicle, and for basic troubleshooting.

Look at how specific and detailed each of his "Sections" describes what you should datalog to see certain performance parameters, and how you should accomplish it.

Pair that with Bad Noodle's basic tuning guide Intro to Subaru Tuning on NASIOC, and, you'll get a good feel for why the datalogging should be broken up as such.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Just hit your areas of concern - for example, if you've noticed some hesitation, or other strange behavior over the course of days, then try to repeat the same.

Alternatively, play it by scenario. If you commute mostly via highway, it would then make sense to get an aggressive on-ramp log, even if you're not at WOT, and a couple of logs of your typical "passing" behavior. And it may also make sense to grab a couple of minutes of your getting to and from the highway, too, on surface streets.

Me? My daily-driving is all in-city, stop-and-go, and even then, it's still only 15 minute's worth. A couple of 3 minute logs takes care of it. :) If there's nothing I'm really looking for, then I try to break up the logging sessions so that I have a good idea of where I did what (i.e. held it at constant throttle or did a few passing-maneuvers, taking off quickly from a stop-sign or traffic light, etc.), to make it easier for me to reference.

Remember, your datalog should have a specific "aim," even if nothing is wrong with the car and you're not looking for anything in-particular. Yes, you can just run the logger for the duration of your drive, but that's going to take a bit of time for you to sort through at the end of the day - not to say that's completely wrong, as there are those among us who choose to do so, but even a 10 -minute drive will generate quite a chunk of data, and that requires patience and concentration to look through. I prefer instead to think of datalogging sessions as being tailored specifically to what you're looking for. So, yes, you may be running a "daily driving" log, but within such a log, you can still break it down into discrete sessions that have specific aims.

Exactly. Ask yourself why you're logging, and then make 2-5 short logs that cover the scenario you want to study.

There are a couple of scenarios where it makes sense to do longer logs, like for MAF scaling or injector scaling. For stuff like that I generally open the log in Excel and make scatter plots so that I can look at the whole log (at least, the parameters I care about most) as a single picture.

• 2 months later...
I've got my LC1 hooked up and reading data. However, in Romraider, it will not read the data the LC1 is sending. I have that parameter checked and I have it set to the correct comport on my laptop, but still nothing. Is there something I'm missing?

• 2 months later...

What's up guys. I'm looking for the proper way to log. Here's what I was planning: 3rd gear pull from around 2000-redline. I have a AP for logging. Problem is, is that there aren't too many places around here that I can pull to redline in 3rd without running the risk of having an unpleasant conversation with Johnny Law. I know 3rd pulls almost to 90(never went past 75-80 in 3rd) so would logging in 2nd be pretty useless? I just want to get a good log so I have everything ready to send to Infamous. Thanks

-Jason

What's up guys. I'm looking for the proper way to log. Here's what I was planning: 3rd gear pull from around 2000-redline. I have a AP for logging. Problem is, is that there aren't too many places around here that I can pull to redline in 3rd without running the risk of having an unpleasant conversation with Johnny Law. I know 3rd pulls almost to 90(never went past 75-80 in 3rd) so would logging in 2nd be pretty useless? I just want to get a good log so I have everything ready to send to Infamous. Thanks

-Jason

Try a second gear pull on an incline.

• 2 months later...
interesting.... im pretty sure i could at least log with RR, Ill have to double check because ive only logged with the laptop once or twice... i cant remember if it was access tuner or romraider that i used.

• 5 weeks later...

im brand new to logging. Im going to start so i can post my logs online when i have issues etc. in order to get accurate feedback from the community. I plan on downloading romraider on my macbook and using an obII cable. Just to be sure, is this the correct cable that i need to connect to my laptop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Diagnostics-USB-OBDII-409-Interface-VAG-COM-Cable-/310283565569?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item483e577a01

im brand new to logging. Im going to start so i can post my logs online when i have issues etc. in order to get accurate feedback from the community. I plan on downloading romraider on my macbook and using an obII cable. Just to be sure, is this the correct cable that i need to connect to my laptop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Diagnostics-USB-OBDII-409-Interface-VAG-COM-Cable-/310283565569?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item483e577a01

That looks like the right kind of cable, but there are cheaper listings. A search for "vag-com kkl" (without the quotes) will turn them up. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-OBD2-OBDII-Vag-KKL-Interface-Cable-Audi-VW-/140476162127

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-VAG-COM-OBD-2-II-KKL-409-1-Interface-Cable-VW-/180626305254

thanks for the help matt! damn those are cheap! id rather pay the extra 18 bucks so i dont have to wait for it to come from hong kong tho... and to double check, cable and romraider is all i need and the disc that comes with the cable is pretty much useless for what we are doing correct?

Archived