LegacyGT.com

Data Logging, A Basic How To

rallispec

Some USB->serial adapters don't actually show up as a COM port to Windows until a USB device is plugged in. Try doing this before starting the program so that it can autodetect COMs properly on startup.

Okay i'll try that.

Thanks for the help

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would this cable work? The schematic is included and it is only $30.

http://www.intrepidcs.com/ValueCAN/obdIICable.htm

I searched and didn't this product.

I don't think that will work. What you've linked is really a cable for reading CAN protocol off an OBD-2 physical interface. Take a look at this link http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?virboard=ecuexplorerabout;num=1128666075 for a list of cables known to work. At $80, the Tactrix cable is still the cheapest option that allows datalogging and provides the right voltage for future reprogramming.

Okay now i'm getting the message Accessport comm. failed (code ox5b4)

I have tried using the othe USB port with the same result. I am also specifying the correct comm port for each usb port per the device manager. Anyone have any ideas? That code means another progrm is trying to access that port. Is there a way to identify what program is accessing it? I don't have anything else connected.

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

Please disregard my last post. I found the anser by searching. Go figure. Seems rather backward to me to have to flash the car before updating the AP with maps. Oh well. I will 'Marry' the AP to the car tomorrow. Then hopefully I'll be good to go

Some USB->serial adapters don't actually show up as a COM port to Windows until a USB device is plugged in. Try doing this before starting the program so that it can autodetect COMs properly on startup.

Yes that's what mine does, it won't see it until you plug in the USB -> Serial......works like a charm after you set it up once.......

I am new at this. I attempted to do some logging with ECU Explorer. Everything seems to be working. Capture was okay. Turned on the defog switch a few times but none was saved. Where did I go wrong?:confused:

Will appreciate any input.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

What did you exactly use? More detials on what you tried?

1) Connect AP to your computer howerever

2) Did EcuExplorer show that your car was connected ?(when you connect it changes from "disconnected" to showing "My Legacy........................." (Key has to be on 2 clicks forward or engine running)

3) Select your parameters

4) before you go anywhere, change your log directory so you know where they are go'n

5) Hit the "Insert" key on your keyboard look in the start bar at Tari's handle it should now show "Logging" Hit the "instert" key to stop it....(this will show that logging is work'n)

6) Check to see a log has created

7) Do the same, but now turn on the defogger option in the software. Hit the Rear Defogger button, look at the start bar on CPU, it should say "logging" hit the RD again it it will stop logging and save the logs.....I only use this when I am start'n and stop'n logs when moving, much safer ;)

Please disregard my last post. I found the anser by searching. Go figure. Seems rather backward to me to have to flash the car before updating the AP with maps. Oh well. I will 'Marry' the AP to the car tomorrow. Then hopefully I'll be good to go

Actually you don't have to "Marry" the AP first! There is a documented procedure for bypassing this. Search the board for the exact process. But it is something like:

1. Connect AP to PC

2. Keep power unplugged to AP

3. Hold the AP's UP/Down arrows simultaneously

4. Power up the AP

5. Hold the arrows until the menu screen appears, which will allow you to choose "sync to pc"

6. Then offload the outdated maps, and replace with the new ones.

Ahh. I didn'yt know that. Oh well. I'm going to marry it during my lunch break today. But thanks for the info

~Will

Scans..........it was a "first timer error". I was looking for the log files in the ECU Explorer directory but it was saving the log files in my C: drive instead. I am going to have to change the logging folder. Thanks.
"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

for the most part -- i'd say that generally you want to log durring WOT, you can log anytime, (sitting in your driveway, for example) - but it's not going to give you as good a representation of whats going on as you get at WOT.

I log for no reason at all, other than to have a baseline of data collected for future reference.

Some people log before and after modifactions, to see what changes have happened... When you log is really up to you, depending on what you want to use the data for.

• 2 weeks later...
So people say that logging in 3rd or 4th is better - why is that?

1. Hit target boost

2. Higher load achieved

3. Slower rev rate, which more accurately depicts the current conditions to the ECU. Which lets you see what the ECU is trying to do. Also stabilizes the readings

4. More fun!:icon_mrgr

2 things I don't really understand from the ecuExplorer manual:

1. it says it does not support drive-by-wire ECUs...?

2. how does logging of the digital data in the lower window work? I don't get logging e.g. the wiper switch or whatever.

someone help me out. This is an amazing program though - incredible to be able to get this for free. I'm going to try a few more logs in the next couple of weekends.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Well I know I use running it through the defogger switch. I do this because then you can just hit the rear defog button to start and stop the logging without having to look at the laptop :D

When I do pulls I do:

1) Street 1 - 4 Stop logs

2) Highway - 3rd gear from 2k - redline - stop the log

3) Highway - 5th gear cruise then pull - stop the log

4) Highway - 3 - 5th hard pull - stop the log

ECT.......so I'm always stop'n and start'n the logs, makes it nice not to have to look at the laptop.....that's just me though :D

2 things I don't really understand from the ecuExplorer manual:

1. it says it does not support drive-by-wire ECUs...?

2. how does logging of the digital data in the lower window work? I don't get logging e.g. the wiper switch or whatever.

someone help me out. This is an amazing program though - incredible to be able to get this for free. I'm going to try a few more logs in the next couple of weekends.

1. This pertains to the ability to directly manipulate the ECU tables! Ala Ecutek or Protuner. This will soon be a reality for the DBW ecu's.

2. Logging of digital data I believe is useful for troubleshooting the can bus, or components on it.(It also was needed to monitor the rear defog switch for starting/stopping log recording).

Archived