LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

The 2017 BRZ GT300. The most interesting thing is that I see a dry sump tank in the trunk. Apparently they have a solution to DS the FA20 engine.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Validation of the aero changes I've been making! Check out this You Tube video from an aerodynamicist:

Automotive Aerodynamics Mini-Series Ep.1: Subaru Impreza WRX STi

All the suspension bushings on the car replaced! I used to hate doing this but now with the right tools it's not so bad. The worst is the old ones you have to drill out the rubber then use a power demo saw to cut the metal liner without ruining the suspension piece surface. It would have been easier to torch out the rubber but it was too cold outside to start a rubber burning session.

Whiteline ALK, Caster, and end links. New Energy Suspension sway bar bushings. On the front end links I cut the top bolt back about 30-40% to make it easy to attach/detach. You can see the shortened link in the pic with the Oswald front subframe bracing re-installed.

Tonight I should have pics of the AN lines completed. Getting down to the final few check boxes before first startup!

Edited by Sgt.Gator

All the suspension bushings on the car replaced! I used to hate doing this but now with the right tools it's not so bad. The worst is the old ones you have to drill out the rubber then use a power demo saw to cut the metal liner without ruining the suspension piece surface. It would have been easier to torch out the rubber but it was too cold outside to start a rubber burning session.

Whiteline ALK, Caster, and end links. New Energy Suspension sway bar bushings. On the front end links I cut the top bolt back about 30-40% to make it easy to attach/detach. You can see the shortened link in the pic with the Oswald front subframe bracing re-installed.

Tonight I should have pics of the AN lines completed. Getting down to the final few check boxes before first startup!

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Nice!

Also, holy micro-cracked rotor surface Batman. :eek:

Those rotors have seen some heat :lol:

Yes they have! They are Stop Tech two piece rotors so not TOO expensive to replace.

I'm re-building my STI as an endurance racer so I've add a lot of electrical load. Oil Cooler Fan, Brake Blowers, Diff pump, Diff cooler fan, 2 way radio, Cool Shirt Pump, Extra lights, additional fuel pump, windshield fog blower....and probably more I'm missing.

Then I added on the OEM radiator fan, and all the other oem stuff. When I added it all up at night I'll be using 110 Amps!

The oem 2005 STI alternator is only 90 amps cold. Consider they lose capacity when hot and you should never run an alternator at more than 90% of cold capacity (81 amps), this isn't going to work!

Looking at other OEM alternators:

An OEM Imprezza NA alternator is 75 amps.

A 2005 Legacy alternator is 110 amps but uses a different bracket that's incompatible with the dry sump pump solutions. And I want extra capacity.

So I found DC Power and bought this one:

img_3317_3.jpg

180 amps of awesome, exact drop in plug and play. If you want to run a monster sound system they have a 250 amp and 270 amp too.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-output-alternators.html?q=%2Fhigh-output-alternators.html&make=Subaru&model=Impreza+WRX+STI&year=2005&engine=2.5L+H4+Turbo

Is it lighter than factory?

No, about the same. I'll weigh them both before the install. For now the oem stays on until I get the engine broken in.

A couple of posts with Updates today. First up the tranny cooler and gauges redo;

Tranny Cooler: It's all done. Lines, FMTC, temp sensor, gauge.

I replaced the 6 speed OEM trans oil crossover pipe with banjo bolts and AN lines to a cooler mounted up front. As most of you know, the 2007 and earlier 6 speeds have an internal oil pump with an exterior crossover pipe. ( 2008+ no longer have the pump, you need an entirely different setup for them). The banjo bolt for the rear connection was not too hard to find, but the front one took some searching. The reason was I wanted to duplicate the temp sender I had in the Silver Eagle LGT. If you don't recall, the LGT Wagon race car 5 speed had a trans temp sender in the OEM port on the driver side, all your 5 speeds I think should have it. On the end of the bolt was a 1/8" BSPT plug, which had a 1/8' temp sender in it. I can't find a picture of it now. I don't remember if it was an oem plug or something Phoenix installed. I think it was oem but I can't find the part at parts.subaru.com. On the Silver eagle it had a AIM sender plugged right into the AIM Pista for logging.

On the STI I haven't sprung for a data logger yet. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with an AIM MXL2 eventually, but for now all sensors are going to gauges. There are few AIM Pistas on the market but the sellers are trying to re-coup their cost with overly inflated values for what is now an obsoleted piece of hardware and software.

The front banjo bolt with a 1/8" sensor port I finally found. It's a GlowShift Banjo Bolt Adaptor for 1994-1997 Dodge Ram 5.9L 12 Valve Cummins Diesel engines! It needed just a slight modification, the 1/8" temp sensor wouldn't quite screw all the way into it. There is a small shoulder inside that I drilled out and now it works fine.

On the AN line at the transmission cooler I mounted a pressure gauge so I can make sure everything is working correctly in the pits. This is still theoretical, I haven't started the engine yet to see how this really works.:eek:

The sensor goes to an Autopower gauge in the gauge cubby. I threw out all the gauges that were in the cubby because it was impossible to read them in daylight with dark glasses on. I modded the Autopower gauges by tossing the supplied incandescent bulb for a superbrightleds.com LED.

Now the gauges are left to right:

Transmission Temp - Oil Pressure - Wideband AFR (AEM)

I kept the Engine Oil Temp gauge mounted on the driver side of the dash, it works great.

The oil pressure sensor is mounted to the firewall with a Prosport remote mount getting pressure off the back top port on the block. The AEM wideband sensor is mounted in the downpipe.

1643365487_TransCoolerBanjoBolt.thumb.jpg.99579c95fdac3686aa18464c78596cd3.jpg

1948039503_EngineDriverSidefront.thumb.jpg.654a84c340da01786f4e123d032876a2.jpg

1839010089_2017GaugePod.thumb.jpg.407e3153f91c7a84502660a60b99ede9.jpg

A local welding shop, Precision Welding - did a great job TIG welding an IAT bung in the cold side FMIC pipe in about the same location as where the OEM MAF used to be in the engine bay. (pic). He also cut off the OEM type BOV flange that came in the FMIC kit and replaced it with a Tial fitting (pic). His welding skills are great, he's a former Honeywell Aerospace welder. I have a TIG machine but no where near the skill he has!

The MAF is entirely gone, this is a speed density tune only. So locating the IAT sensor in a place where it will get the least heat soak in the pits while the car is sitting still is important. This location looks like the best.

The new engine is 99% done. All I need for first start is Coolant - Oil- Power Steering fluid- Flush Transmission Oil.

There is a fuel pressure gauge next to the Perrin fuel pressure regulator, so like the transmission oil pressure I gauge it can be quickly checked in the pits to see if everything is ok.

I haven't wired the fans in the trunk yet. I'm debating doing the relays myself or taking the car to a local auto electric shop that does a lot of custom and race car work. But that won't stop me from startup, the engine oil shouldn't get that hot just breaking it in.

Cobb Surgeline is sending me a startup tune to do a 20 minute break in. Then I'll take it to their shop for a real break in tune. I'll run that at ORP for a couple of days, then back to Surgeline for my real racing tunes.

339018702_FrontofSTI.thumb.jpg.0f2aeab35ebed5a13d54d3e053e9118b.jpg

1963626775_IATTempSensor.thumb.jpg.894051db0ead45bdcac810097553cc36.jpg

223970686_EnginePassside2.thumb.jpg.53af922682df235adbd0395918f8d631.jpg

1234876414_EnginePassside.thumb.jpg.eab37eefaa803e83f4e3638f86893a85.jpg

1183839161_EngineOverhead.thumb.jpg.c170053af051443c4718f96a04a25d2a.jpg

1289754423_EngineDriverSide.thumb.jpg.7426ac1a186b51a45d9cdbb6c9d5f808.jpg

1530813222_EngineDriverSidefront.thumb.jpg.9dfeea99cad3bec6e39e367f0c81505c.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Good article on Mark Jager's new Redline Time Attack build. Unreal...

http://blog.jepistons.com/car-feature-mark-jagers-800hp-time-attack-wrx-sti

Interesting way of mounting and ducting his oil cooler.

_D803731.thumb.jpg.c262c2c45f12828e25756a4993f69f2d.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Amazing machine. Crazy that he went through 5 motors before though :eek:

I know the feeling. 4 engines in two years myself!

I met the D Sport magazine folks at SEMA and subscribed to their print magazine. They cover the import market.

Here's the online version of one of their recent magazine articles, it's worth reading.

Subaru EJ257 Bottom-end Breakdown

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/subaru-ej257-bottom-end-breakdown/

Their Facebook page is a good one to follow too.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

And stop the insanity!

:)

Roger Clark’s Sons Set Records in 880hp Time-Attack Gobstopper II STi

http://dsportmag.com/the-cars/roger-clarks-sons-set-records-880hp-time-attack-sti/

And

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/03/gobstopper-evolved-final-form/

You can see what I'm assuming is a dry sump at the bottom of the engine in this image:

rogerclarkmotorsport-2017-jordanbutters-speedhunters-160.thumb.jpg.c25e869052c67ac55755da95e64be585.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

I found the original build thread for the Blue Sake Bomber over on NASIOC. It's interesting to go back to day one when he decided to turn it into a race car. It also helps explain a lot of things!

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2035408

One of his posts: "Today started out with a trip to my favorite place Harbor Freight to pick up some much needed supplies"....he and Boxkita have to get together in Seattle!

Edited by Sgt.Gator

One of his posts: "Today started out with a trip to my favorite place Harbor Freight to pick up some much needed supplies"....he and Boxkita have to get together in Seattle!

If I had started out as an ST class racer instead of Spec Miata, I'd have an open line of credit with "Competition Specialties".

Even Lowe Racing is outfitted by HF.

Sarcasm appreciated. A HF zip tie lasts 1 sprint race, +/-.

Now that's a front splitter to die for!

http://www.farmofminds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/RCM-Impreza-35.jpg

"Every single part of this car, pretty much, is available to buy from us. What’s the point in developing these amazing solutions if you don’t put them out onto the market?"

OMG, I wish he hadn't said that!

;)

Edited by Sgt.Gator

You should become the USA dealer for them.

That front Bi-Plane wing is actually from 3 years ago. They've since dumped it for a more traditional splitter design in the first link we posted.

In other news:

I filled the power steering reservoir. Topped off the transmission.

I filled the DS pump and tank with oil. I put 2 quarts thru the DS pump by spinning the pump gear by hand. Tomorrow I'll use the HD DIY oil pump primer to pre-oil the block.

I ran into one problem. I used my Airlift to fill the cooling system. The first step is to see if the system will hold 22-24 lbs (probably I mean inches) of vacuum. It would not go past 3. 30 minutes later I found the culprit, a loose AN fitting for the Tial EWG coolant. With that tightened up the system would move right up to 22 lbs, but it's supposed to hold that vacuum for 20 seconds without moving. It would not, it slowly leaked down right away. So 45 minutes later I found all the AN fittings for the Tial EWG could use a little tightening. That helped a little, but did not completely solve the problem.

I went ahead and filled the system, I figured it will have a tiny leak somewhere but the only way I can find it is to actually have coolant leaking out.

The goal is first start up Friday night. Cobb sent me a startup tune good for 2500 RPM and no boost.