LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5i N\A Tuning (It has started)!!!

Loaded the V1 Tune (In Sport Mode)

Well Last night I loaded up the V1 tune and let me say it was NASTY :eek:. The car ran so well. from the first start the sound of the car was different, deeper like it was just mad for no reason. :spin::mad: I like it. :lol:

I drove through town to the highway and noticed it was even better to drive than the v0a tune. The car was shifting so smooth, and the drivability was still very nice and not harsh. This mean I can drive around town and still be happy.

I got to the highway and some a@@ hat decides to pull my card. So in sport mode I just pressed the gas and it rocketed off pulling hard :eek:. I though to my self, "damn XRT racing hooked it up".

So I get to my open road that's nice and flat and get the first pull in and the car is running fantastic. Pulling strong, tranny is shifting quick. I did few more pulls and headed back home. I did a 2nd and 3rd gear pull in manual mode and the car was just pulling past triple digits with no problem.

well I talked to Ed at XRT and he found some things that needed improved on and sent me the V2 tune :eek:. I am going to load this up soon and get to logging.

Stay tune for more XRT Racing tuning fun :spin:

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the tuning from XRT Racing Tuning is truly a need if you want to have a Great running N\A car. I loaded the V2 tune from Ed @ XRT and started the car right up after resetting the ECU. Car idle great, sounds great. I noticed the car sounds much deeper.

I will give more feed back on V2 XRT tune later, due to the fact that I have not logged it yet.

Now What I will tell you is that I have found that the car is truly at it's best in Sport mode with out manually shifting. I have been driving on the V1 tune in sport mode only and noticed that the motor runs smoother, has great power and shifts very well. I hit the highway and was merging and a new Altima decide to speed up :confused:. So I gave it gas and half throttle, the legacy downshifted fast, and took of and was just pulling the whole time. :eek:

Going up hills, in town driving, highway speeds, full throttle pulls, DWB (Drive By wire) No delay when I hit the gas, better MPG, Quick shifting transmission, better TCU control, and better idle at start and to much more. This tune is needed if you want the car to run great. Not just to make it fast and the furious but to have a truly tune car.

I think people get he wrong ideal when the 2.5I, 3.0R, or 3.6R N\A crowd want to tune our cars. We want a car that is tuned to perform better then stock and add some power. I mostly see turbo guys and a few N\A say it's a waste. It's not a waste. yes you can put tons of money in suspension, and nice wheels like I and most have, but Tuning is a must for any car that you really want to last and perform at it's best and Ed @ XRT Racing Tuning can do this.

If you thinking about it just do it and get a tune. You will not be let down. We are fining up with fine tuning right now on the V2 tune I just loaded last night.

Stay tuned for log details on V2, and more post on how the car is running. I plan to post very often. Thanks

He has gotten all 3 including more engine response. So at least 5 objectives been achieved.

Below are the results I believe that were achieved based on feedback:

1. The ability to control the 4EAT shift by accelerator usage. This makes it feel like a manual to some respect, especially in sport mode.
  2. Firmer 4EAT shifts - quicker shifts
  3. Stable engine and better response - reduce ping and efficient afr, in addition to close-loop to open-loop operations
  4. Better fuel economy through reduce fuel usage in WOT operations and transmission operations
  5. Enhance throttle response through dbw and transmission operations
  6. Additional more torque in low rpm range

Lol and most of all, show the wife it wasn't a fluke :)

What are you trying to get out of this tune? 10-15 hp? Better fuel efficiency? Better throttle response? To prove to your wife that car guys will modify anything? (:lol:)

I am trying to improve the car that it the goal. I had the STI, EVO, Stangs, and those were about power due to the platform. My wifes a big mustang fan and misses the 91 FOX and 98 SN95 GT. Plus it's just fun to tune cars. :)

Also everything you asked about above I have gotten I think. I could have went out and bought what I wanted but after pulling the motor and replacing everything, it pretty much a new car.

He has gotten all 3 including more engine response. So at least 5 objectives been achieved.

1. The ability to control the 4EAT shift by accelerator usage. This makes it feel like a manual to some respect, especially in sport mode.
  3. Stable engine and better response - reduce ping and efficient afr, in addition to close-loop to open-loop operations
  4. Better fuel economy through reduce fuel usage in WOT operations and transmission operations

All this above has been done, and the car is driving great. It's much better then the DWB controller I had. I think the shifts would be even better If I changed my fluid again. It shifts very smooth now.

V2 XRT Tuning Update

I have a fresh tank of 91, and have been driving around town and testing things out and the car has transformed. I now only drive the car in sport mode and have to to learn how it reacts. It truly does act like a manual. :)

I was testing the dig factor from a stop, and yes I can take a Z06 for a few seconds :lol:. OK maybe not but it takes off quick. Kinda felt like if thew car knew I was going to hit the gas a split hair before and was off.

Ed is still doing some fine tuning and has V3 ready for me soon with a few small changes. Once it gets warm I will change my tranny fluid and both diffs again. I did them just over a year ago with Amsoil have it made the tranny shift like butter and still has been great

Stay tuned for V3 and more driving updates. I am going to see if my buddy will give me a run in his 09 WRX, full ewag and all the supporting mods. :eek:

I called my insurance company recently and asked about the whereabouts of where my junked 2.5i went after the motor blew and I was able to locate it. The auction lot is willing to sell me back my old 2.5i for $800. If I can get a donor EJ25 and Transmission for it, I may have it back in my hands again and a daily driver again. I love my WRX but I have a 70 mile round trip commute daily, I loved my legacy for that commute. If I can get that car back on the road again for under 4 grand and keep my WRX as my fun car/weekend car I'd be golden. If I do, doing something along these lines wouldn't hurt to do. Interested to see further results

So after driving my 08 legacy2.5i with the XRT tinr and 4EAT , I really love the way the car drive's. I only now drive the car in Sport mode because it seems to run the best in this mode. you can control the way the transmission work with the pedal via the way the car is tuned. The car does really drive like a 5MT when ever you want it to. When taking off slowly the car goes through the gears like normal, and shifts very smooth with no issues.

Now I tested out the take off from a dig and the car sprints off like a gazelle running from a lion.:eek: While doing this the car stays in correct gear so you have the power you need. Hills are so much easier to take. It's like there is no effort when taking a step hill.

This is also great when you want to hit the back roads, curves, PDX events or a Road course.:lol: It allows you to stay in the gear when your driving hard. No one want the down shift the transmission offers when you do not need it.

Now I wanted to make sure the car was tuned , while keeping the daily driver ability. Ed did a Fantastic job of this. I so happy I found him and pulled the trigger on getting the motor tuned and tranny via the tune. If your thinking about this, just make the leap and get it done. You will not be disappointed. :)

Note: XRT does not tune the TCU, It is indirectly tuned.

My car is also XRT tuned, however mine didn't achieved better fuel economy. Gain more power by about 10% but my fuel consumption got worse by about 20-25%.

I think my primary open loop map is way too aggressive, and I have since modify the map to be less aggressive and my fuel consumption have improved but still not on par with my stock rom fuel mileage.

And did you notify me so we can look at it?

Secondly your E-SC comes in so early, its like a diesel engine. When a raptor or other belt driven SC and turbo comes in later, you have full boost as early as 1200rpm. I cannot remember exact rpm, but it surprised me. Hence my reference to diesel turbo. Those areas have tremendous loads and in stock form are suppose to lean. Hence why your stock logs were so poor. http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=575#p1772

It will be hard to lean and with ignition etc. I am happy to see you reduced it, bur how is the pinging? I do not see you post that info on your thread.

And did you notify me so we can look at it?

Secondly your E-SC comes in so early, its like a diesel engine. When a raptor or other belt driven SC and turbo comes in later, you have full boost as early as 1200rpm. I cannot remember exact rpm, but it surprised me. Hence my reference to diesel turbo. Those areas have tremendous loads and in stock form are suppose to lean. Hence why your stock logs were so poor. http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=575#p1772

It will be hard to lean and with ignition etc. I am happy to see you reduced it, bur how is the pinging? I do not see you post that info on your thread.

Nope, I didn't notify you since I only decided to change it recently. At first, I didn't care too much about the fuel consumption, I thought maybe it will improve through time, since I won't be doing 2nd gear pull anymore after your tuning exercise is complete, but I was wrong.

I thought it was just my heavy foot causing it, tried to drive in a controlled manner in the highway but still can't replicate my good old fuel mileage. When the car was stuck on traffic jam, it was terrible, so I decided to flash back my old stock rom for a few days and I could immediately see the big disparity in fuel consumption. I noticed even on highway cruising, I could see my WBO2 AFR at 12.xx:1 ratio.

Since using the stock rom, the car didn't drive too well, so I decided maybe I have to learn and understand my rom and modify some of the table. So far so good, pinging was only minimal.

Btw, my e-SC has changed, it will only activate whenever I drive more aggressively by stepping the accelerator hard. It is not always turn on now and I could turn it on if I wanted to. Boost can now reach more up to 4 psi in an instant, it is not for diesel engine anymore. Because of the new e-SC, I have some modifications in my intake tubing, it has slightly smaller diameter now, hence my MAF scaling also have changed. If you want, I could send you some logs.

Yes I read the forum. I saw it. Its good to see a change. The old SC is like for hill climbing in a jeep. And yes you can see it for smaller displacement engines.

Send a log. Let me see what it looks like. In old logs, your idle and cruising wasn't rich.

Cheers.

My car is also XRT tuned, however mine didn't achieved better fuel economy. Gain more power by about 10% but my fuel consumption got worse by about 20-25%.

I think my primary open loop map is way too aggressive, and I have since modify the map to be less aggressive and my fuel consumption have improved but still not on par with my stock rom fuel mileage.

Look every car is different, and runs different. I am not here to hate on you but getting better gas miles is my least worry. If I get a mile or 2 less or well :cool:. I am tuning my car for many things, MPG is the least.

To all that are going to tune, MPG should be the least worry. the 2.5i gets better gas miles then a turbo car any day. I got 28.6 on my legacy with 140K miles. If I got 26 so be it. If I wanted better I would go find my old 98 corolla that got 33 with 186K miles. Tuning for better performance in general should be the main goal.

also if there is a problem wit your food you would tell the cook or waitress. same with a tune. Talk to the tuner.

So I got a chance to go out and do some pulls sunday. I will tell you this, you car is missing this tune from XRT. I went out and left the car in sport mode only (This is all I drive in now). I holds the power in corners and does not down shifts which is great for not dropping the power.

Pull 1

This pull was from a 2nd gear Sport mode. I was full throttle the whole time and there was no problem pulling from 20 MPH to 1XX mph. There are not stalls, hick ups, trans is smooth, and car sounds great.

Pull 2

I did this one in Maunal mode in 2nd gear and it was even better on this V2 tune, the car pulled very strong with no issues all the way through 3rd to 4th gear. I saw a small pause in the high RPM rage before and it was no issues. Ed at XRT took care of the small issues.

Note: I never really drive in manual mode, and see no reason to with this tune.

Pull 3 (Dig or Die)

I did this from a dead stop, Soon as my foot touched the plastic I was off, Car move faster then a Z06 through the 1st and 2nd gear :eek::lol: (Joking), but the car just pulls and pulls.

I have the V3 tune ready I flash and will do so very soon. I do have a 4 month old and work :rolleyes::lol: so time is a bit limited.

If some of you wondering, I do have tons of money in suspension and bla bla bla, wider wheels (18s), sticky tires. I am in winter mode but will go full summer in a month. It's also going to be 71 this week :eek:, where did winter go in February.

Stay tuned for my updates on V3 form XRT.

I hate to say this since I read that you already ordered it, but I wouldn't change the stock intake. It's already a cold air/ram air setup, and the metal from the new intake will absorb heat from the engine bay, and the filter will be in a location that will suck in hotter air as well. I think a high flow filter for the stock intake is a better option.

I have two GT's and a 2009 2.5i - I didn't think I would ever mod the NA but now I am sitting here reading this and thinking... perhaps I will.

Yeah I was told by nay sayers also. Do not tune the N\A, it the best from factory :lol:. Yea sure it is. Guess I should tell that to big V8 guys and drag car guys that mod their N\A cars also.

I hear this crap from turbo guys mostly :cool:. Look I never got told not to tune my mustangs, or my RSX-S and they were N\A. You will not be let down. I talk with a group of guys all day that have been tuned by XRT and most of the group is N\A. 2.5i, 3.0R and 3.6R, these guys are grins ear to ear. :)

Don't let people tell you what not to do to your car. I always do what I want and never listen to other telling me about tuning or modifying car's. I been doing it since I was 16 and I am much much older and wiser, along with learning so much about cars.

Hit up Ed talk to him about it, ask question, read reviews. :)

I hate to say this since I read that you already ordered it, but I wouldn't change the stock intake. It's already a cold air/ram air setup, and the metal from the new intake will absorb heat from the engine bay, and the filter will be in a location that will suck in hotter air as well. I think a high flow filter for the stock intake is a better option.

Oh geez, the old "I would not change the stock Intake cause of heat and this and that :cool:. First I have already change the Intake long ago. It small changes like removal of the silencer and the crap wrinkle tubing.

No let me tell you what I have now. I have the stock black box up top that still gets warm or hot to touch. I replace the tubing with a smooth one piece tube to the airbox. I have a K& N filter, (might just by the AVO to change out), along with the RAM air part still attached (I will not remove) and no big silencer part in the fender.

So far I have had no issue and ran the for 3k miles, with better MPG before tuning even started. I plan to add the Intake chamber, and add a hose from the opening of the bottom of the black box to the fender to suck in colder air.

Yes ,I know all about how good the stock intake is for N\A and turbo cars, and the power the stock box can handle. I had an STI and I know all these things people say and tell me. Go out on a limb and try to be different. That's what truly sets your car apart from another legacy.

:lol:

Also I have been talking to people that have this and are tuned with the K chamber and the hear is not an issue. :) remember I am not tuning the car for max power, and hard corer racing. I pretty sure if a drop in performance from the minimal heat I get will not be noticed since I am tuned, and by the way making more power.:lol:

I have also touched the Box after a 2 hour back road run and its not to bad. Sitting in traffic on a 100 degree days is the problem. If you keep moving this will be fine.

Look every car is different, and runs different. I am not here to hate on you but getting better gas miles is my least worry. If I get a mile or 2 less or well :cool:. I am tuning my car for many things, MPG is the least.

To all that are going to tune, MPG should be the least worry. the 2.5i gets better gas miles then a turbo car any day. I got 28.6 on my legacy with 140K miles. If I got 26 so be it. If I wanted better I would go find my old 98 corolla that got 33 with 186K miles. Tuning for better performance in general should be the main goal.

I think you would if your mileage will go down to as low as 15mpg or lower. For me, both performance and mileage are important. If your car will perform much better but at the expense extreme fuel consumption then it is not worth it. If your car performance improve but only affect a little of the fuel economy then it's well worth it. I used to average 27-28mpg too, but it was down to as low as 18-19 mpg at one point during tuning exercise. It's now up to 23-24mpg after my own minor adjustment, but still not as good as before.

When I started the tuning with Ed, it was never mentioned to me by Ed about the objectives of the tune. That's why when I saw these objectives mentioned by Ed in your thread, I reacted. Anyway, Ed is now looking at my customized rom and logs to see what he can adjust to improve fuel economy. Hopefully he can help me tune this.

also if there is a problem wit your food you would tell the cook or waitress. same with a tune. Talk to the tuner.

Just to let you know that my tuning commenced last end of May last year and that was about more than 6 months ago. Again, it was not mentioned to me that I could go back anytime and demand.

Cheers

Archived