LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5i N\A Tuning (It has started)!!!

I think you would if your mileage will go down to as low as 15mpg or lower. For me, both performance and mileage are important. If your car will perform much better but at the expense extreme fuel consumption then it is not worth it. If your car performance improve but only affect a little of the fuel economy then it's well worth it. I used to average 27-28mpg too, but it was down to as low as 18-19 mpg at one point during tuning exercise. It's now up to 23-24mpg after my own minor adjustment, but still not as good as before.

When I started the tuning with Ed, it was never mentioned to me by Ed about the objectives of the tune. That's why when I saw these objectives mentioned by Ed in your thread, I reacted. Anyway, Ed is now looking at my customized rom and logs to see what he can adjust to improve fuel economy. Hopefully he can help me tune this.

Just to let you know that my tuning commenced last end of May last year and that was about more than 6 months ago. Again, it was not mentioned to me that I could go back anytime and demand.

Cheers

I would think there was a problem with my car or that Electric SC you had before I go thinking the tune was the factor of getting bad MPG. I mean the 2010 should get better MPG over the 2008 by a bit stock for stock :cool:.

c'mon, do you really think you going to get Excellent MPG with parts added on your car? Many things can throw off the MPG. also why you not go with a turbo kit?:confused: I would never do an E-SC but to each there own. On the other hand like I have said before I would have bought an STI if I was trying to make power. :)

Next Ed was straight up about what this tune was, was going to be about and what we were going to do. He also stated if there was a problem to contact him. I swear the dude never sleeps. Anytime I needed help or had an issue he was on it.:p He seems to be around and the XRT group is very helpful.

Also I am not sure why my post turned on a light for you cause I have no E-SC and would never get one. So I a m still wondering why you did not just email him instead of kind of thread jacking mine:rolleyes:.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

V3 Tune

well I have been driving the car on V2 as you have read. I will be loading V3 tonight after work. we have some great 70 degree weather the next few days :spin:, so I will be doing some testing.

I am Also going to change my tranny fluid. It was changed about 1 and a half ago with Amsoil Synthetic, which made it shift like butter:spin::). It still shifts very smooth, but I think since I have some miles it should be changed. I might do the diffs also.

This thread is starting to give me lel and I'll elaborate why.

I was a 2.5i owner for 6 years, car was awesome for it's purpose a reliable year round daily driver and not a performance oriented car. If you want a better throttle response, what for? To drive around to do your errands faster? So your consumer car doesn't strain to do 90mph? Better gas mileage again for what? When I had my 2.5i I would get 26 mpg mixed driving and anywhere from 30-35 mpg on a long distance trip, for an all wheel drive car that is pretty damn good and if you want better fuel economy than that you're better off buying something of the hybrid nature, or a newer non turbo subaru with an FB series motor.

Now obviously its your car and your money so you do whatever you want to do with it, but let's say this figuratively cost you $200, I could think of a lot of better things to spend that money on than into modifying a non performance oriented car. Like 2 weeks worth of groceries from Whole Foods, insulation for my attic to reduce my climate control costs in my home, or maybe for more important maintenance aspects of my vehicle like my next major service.

That's great for you. Don't give up on your 2.5i. Oh it's about being different that's why I am doing this. I do not see any legacies like mine or 08-09's around. Remember my plans are a R33 GTR Right hand drive. That's what I have been saving for.

V3 - XRT Extreme Racing Tuning

So I loaded up V3 last night after work. I flashed the car, let it run and then went for a nice highway drive to the store with the family so I could not go hog wild.

From the start the car was even freaking better :eek:. the throttle was so much easier and 5 times better to use and very sensitive compared to the throttle controller had on my car.

Also the car seem to be so snappy on the take off, I mean when I touched the gas on the V2 tune it was a nice hole shot, but the V3 XRT tune is nasty from a dig. It almost like the car want to take off like Usain Bolt every time I give it some gas:spin::lol:. I like this cause before the car was a slug so bad.

Note all my other pulls and runs were is 25-32 degree weather and yesterday it was 67 degrees :eek:. So I was very impressed on the way the car ran in this weather. Today it will be 73 so I am sure it will be great.

I got on the highway from a dead stop and gave it hell, the car shifted so damn fast out of first and was just pulling through second. I let out half way through at about 60 which was the speed limit and cruised controlled the whole way. I set it at 60 and saw a steady 26 mpg on flat land which is awesome:).

I am very impressed how the 2.5i is running. I have had no issues, hick ups, problems or anything. Car is solid and strong. Now remember the car is still learning everything. So I like to put on at least 35-60 miles before I go nuts just to make sure all is well. I did send off a log to have checked to make sure all is well.

I do now have the V4 log :eek:, I here is supposed to be even more nasty then the V3 :spin:.

What's Next for future:

JDM Kakimoto Intake Chamber on the way( Including smooth T tube)

Clean MAF (just to make sure I do this twice a year)

AVO Panel (want tot test it out)

Change ATF (Amsoil Syn, I have it in there now shifts very smooth)

Change Oil (Amsoil SS, I have ran since I bought the car)

Tune After Chamber is on the car

Stay tuned for V4 and I have some vids to share. :)

Thanks for all the updates, always an interesting read. My 3.6 is under warranty still or I would def get a tune for it now. I know I should get off the stock tune.

Not sure why the bashing/hate on this thread. At least the car is getting tuned for an overall better drive. I had my Impreza 2.5i for 100k miles. Had I done this I prob would have kept another 100k. Though my LGT and 3. are damn fun to drive. :)

Not like you put a hood scoop on an NA acting as though it is doing something which it is not.

One of the wonderful benefits of ecu reflash tuning, you can always return to stock by a click of a button on the laptop :)

But the stealership can see how many times the ECU has been flashed and void the warranty if they think it's been flashed. They questioned my LGT even though it was out of warranty as the flash count was very high.

Unless there is a way to reset that number??

This thread is starting to give me lel and I'll elaborate why.

I was a 2.5i owner for 6 years, car was awesome for it's purpose a reliable year round daily driver and not a performance oriented car. If you want a better throttle response, what for? To drive around to do your errands faster? So your consumer car doesn't strain to do 90mph? Better gas mileage again for what? When I had my 2.5i I would get 26 mpg mixed driving and anywhere from 30-35 mpg on a long distance trip, for an all wheel drive car that is pretty damn good and if you want better fuel economy than that you're better off buying something of the hybrid nature, or a newer non turbo subaru with an FB series motor.

Now obviously its your car and your money so you do whatever you want to do with it, but let's say this figuratively cost you $200, I could think of a lot of better things to spend that money on than into modifying a non performance oriented car. Like 2 weeks worth of groceries from Whole Foods, insulation for my attic to reduce my climate control costs in my home, or maybe for more important maintenance aspects of my vehicle like my next major service.

Men modify things. It's what we do. It's in our DNA, (sorry ladies). We are just wired that way. Constantly wanting to take what is regular, and make it better. Why is there an aftermarket market? For men, that aren't satisfied with "stock". Why is a $200, off the shelf skateboard not good enough? Because there's nothing separating you from everybody else. So you buy different trucks, and wheels, and grip tape, etc. Why do we buy a massive TV, and say "this bitch needs surround sound"? Because stock/normal usually sucks, and making things better, is what we do." Modding" something isn't always about more speed, more horsepower, better 1/4mile times, etc. Alot of the times, it's about creating a vehicle that feels better to drive, puts a smile on your face, and sets you apart from the rest of the pack. The whole notion that "modding anything without a turbo, is worthless", is stupid. To each his own. When I starting looking into aftermarket items, and tuning for my H6, I ran into a lot of people that thought it was the dumbest idea ever. Yet, if you do some research, you'll find that there is a pretty big community of Subaru owners in Australia doing just that. With some awesome results. One of the guys that's responsible for these results..... Ed. To keep a long story short, with just some minimal effort, what Ed has been able to achieve on my vehicle, is pretty amazing. If you rode in it, you would be pretty impressed. No, I'm not going to blow the doors off an STI, but honestly, if I wanted a 500hp monster, I would've purchased a 500hp monster. As it sits, I've got a respectable daily driver, thats got some mojo, puts a smile on my face, and is an absolute blast to drive. On a side note, I've been to whole foods... $200 for 2 weeks worth of groceries? Maybe if you eat nothing but Ramen noodles!:lol:

But the stealership can see how many times the ECU has been flashed and void the warranty if they think it's been flashed. They questioned my LGT even though it was out of warranty as the flash count was very high.

Not that I am aware of.

On a side note, I've been to whole foods... $200 for 2 weeks worth of groceries? Maybe if you eat nothing but Ramen noodles!:lol:

I'm 27, I own my own house, no wife/girlfriend or kids, I can make $200 worth of food last me 2 weeks :lol:

With what you said, you know they make a turbo H6 in the JDM/AUDM market right? a lot more parts to choose from and it's also not the same H6 engine like the in the USDM market cars. If memory serves me right, the 2.5i and H6 Legacy sold in the US are both made at the SOA plant in Indiana, while the LGT along with all the rest of the turbo platform Subaru's are still made in Japan.

I've never thought you can't modify a car without a turbo, while owning boring non turbo subaru's prior to my WRX, I owned a 98 Z28 Camaro and a 1993 300ZX 2+2 NA as well, plenty of aftermarket parts available on both platforms to make those cars plenty fast. The Subaru EJ25 engine, not so much. Compression ratio's are really high to make more power and their just isn't really many options to modify it. With a V6 and V8 there are many options to have a really fast car with no forced induction. Back in 2009 Rallitek had worked on a bunch of N/A Parts for the EJ25, if you had the Accessport and Camshafts you could get this car close to 190HP. Not many people bought either and they discontinued it shortly after it's release. If someone developed a performance ECU for the car you might have been able to get even more but that never happened either. They also recommended installing a transmission cooler if you had an automatic transmission, but most mechanics or drivers had no idea on where and how to install it :lol:

To the OP, if you could find the Rallitek camshafts still, get them and you'll see better results.

Thanks for all the updates, always an interesting read. My 3.6 is under warranty still or I would def get a tune for it now. I know I should get off the stock tune.

Not sure why the bashing/hate on this thread. At least the car is getting tuned for an overall better drive. I had my Impreza 2.5i for 100k miles. Had I done this I prob would have kept another 100k. Though my LGT and 3. are damn fun to drive. :)

Not like you put a hood scoop on an NA acting as though it is doing something which it is not.

Man I hear you on the warranty, but I would flash the day your warranty is up. I do not believe in buying 100K mile warranties on car's or extended ones. It was a 3300 option on my 08 when I bought it. I told the guy this is a Subaru and said no. lol

Yeah people seem to get all torn cause I am tuning my 2.5i. It's running great. I am having fun, and this is the first mod I have done to the car in 3 years. :eek: I mostly been doing maintenance to it. (timing components, belts, flushes, brakes and new rotors, oil changes) I made sure the car was well serviced by me before I started. oh and I have 14x,xxx Miles on the car :p. I will drive it till its lays down.

It's worth the tune man. That's all I can say. mostly turbo peeps will tel you it's not, and this is coming from a former STI guy. :lol:

I would not worry about this, at the stealership I went to they know me personally. They knew my STI , and know my legacy and outback I have. the lead tech Jason was an STI guy and most of the tech have turboed cars and knew we modded thing. They never gave me a problem. Hell I got many free services on my cars with out charge.

You can also reflash back to stock, or play dumb and say you took the neg terminal off lolol :lol:

I'm 27, I own my own house, no wife/girlfriend or kids, I can make $200 worth of food last me 2 weeks :lol:

With what you said, you know they make a turbo H6 in the JDM/AUDM market right? a lot more parts to choose from and it's also not the same H6 engine like the in the USDM market cars. If memory serves me right, the 2.5i and H6 Legacy sold in the US are both made at the SOA plant in Indiana, while the LGT along with all the rest of the turbo platform Subaru's are still made in Japan.

I've never thought you can't modify a car without a turbo, while owning boring non turbo subaru's prior to my WRX, I owned a 98 Z28 Camaro and a 1993 300ZX 2+2 NA as well, plenty of aftermarket parts available on both platforms to make those cars plenty fast. The Subaru EJ25 engine, not so much. Compression ratio's are really high to make more power and their just isn't really many options to modify it. With a V6 and V8 there are many options to have a really fast car with no forced induction. Back in 2009 Rallitek had worked on a bunch of N/A Parts for the EJ25, if you had the Accessport and Camshafts you could get this car close to 190HP. Not many people bought either and they discontinued it shortly after it's release. If someone developed a performance ECU for the car you might have been able to get even more but that never happened either. They also recommended installing a transmission cooler if you had an automatic transmission, but most mechanics or drivers had no idea on where and how to install it :lol:

To the OP, if you could find the Rallitek camshafts still, get them and you'll see better results.

Naw don't want cam shafts, I did that long ago on other car's. I do sell the mishimoto oil coolers, along with all types of other parts. So far my trans is very good with the high temp rated Amsoil fluid. It's rated pretty goo and I can go with there race version that many trophy trucks run, but I no need that high protection. :eek: lol

I might get the cooler, if things lean that way plus my price is cheap to buy it. Also I not out there racing and tracking the car, It sits at work form9

hours, then 6 mile drive home, and sleeps till 7 am hahah. But when I go to meets, and hit back road runs, thing will be much different. You would be believe how I keep up with many STI\WRX that out power me before my tune. my suspension is nutz

...I'd like to see you keep up with my WRX

I'm running powerwise: Grimmspeed ECBS, Accessport, Torque Solution Billet TGV and EGR Delete, IAG AOS, Kartboy lightweight crank pulley...ProTuned by EFI logics @ 275whp/310tq

Suspension/Handling: JDM Bilstein Inverted Struts w/RCE Yellow Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway, 17 x 8 Workemotion CR KAI wrapped in 245/45/17 Conti DWS, Kartboy Short Shifter plate, Bushing mated with STI STS, Kartboy Shifter Stop, Perrin Steering Dampener Lockout. Summer wheel setup TBD but will be going with something along the lines of 18 x 9.5 with 255's

I would do good, I talking many corners. Power means nothing in max twisties. Ia lso go out and do back roads and corners when I am bored. practices is key.:lol:

alas, look at my edit and you can see my suspension setup. I want to know what fantasy world you live in where people mistake your car for sounding like an LGT and can keep up with a WRX/STI in back roads :lol:

...I'd like to see you keep up with my WRX

I'm running powerwise: Grimmspeed ECBS, Accessport, Torque Solution Billet TGV and EGR Delete, IAG AOS, Kartboy lightweight crank pulley...ProTuned by EFI logics @ 275whp/310tq

Suspension/Handling: JDM Bilstein Inverted Struts w/RCE Yellow Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway, 17 x 8 Workemotion CR KAI wrapped in 245/45/17 Conti DWS, Kartboy Short Shifter plate, Bushing mated with STI STS, Kartboy Shifter Stop, Perrin Steering Dampener Lockout. Summer wheel setup TBD but will be going with something along the lines of 18 x 9.5 with 255's

This is very nice power, not close to my old 04 STI, but still nice. It's all about driver man. That's all I can tell you.

Now back on topic of 2.5i tuning. :)

Archived