LegacyGT.com

3.6R Opinions

^^ I'd also suggest anyone look seriously at upgrading tires, because they will transform the car's behavior. If you work at it, you might succeed in getting your dealer to give you decent credit for the take-off Goodyears against a Continental, Pirelli or whatever suits your fancy. The alternative is being dissatisfied with stopping, steering, road noise, handling and possibly wet/snow traction for thousands of miles. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want performance modifications to the 3.6R, go to the 5th Gen 3.6R mod thread. Check out the guys with Raptor headers and tune. They are dead even with stage 2 WRX's so its not like the 3.6R can't be made a crap ton faster without forced induction.

Regardless, the 2.5i is a smidge more balanced and not quite as nose heavy but the 3.6R has significantly more torque which can be useful.

Yes I am one of those guys, but I am not one to truly talk nuts and bolts. I am a newb. Talk to Fredrick or Perscitus about it if youre curious.

• 2 years later...
Nothing actually "wrong" with the 3.6r but it was not quick enough for me to warrant the extra money and reduction in fuel economy. It is certainly quicker than the 2.5i but it's about the same as my Toyota Sienna or my brothers Odyssey, so not exactly a burner.

It's why the TLX AWD was so tempting because that car was pretty quick.

For me, having owned both, it wasn't about the extra quickness, it was about the ease that the 3.6 does everything. It lopes along, it merges effortlessly into traffic without much gas pedal. The low end torque and throttle response in the 3.6 is a HUGE difference. When I had the 2.5i (I've had two) I had to step on it pretty hard to merge into traffic. I had to drive the 2.5i a lot harder to do the same thing. The 3.6 feels like a much more grownup car.

In the city I got a solid 25mpg from the 2.5i. I'm averaging 27mpg in the 3.6.

For me, having owned both, it wasn't about the extra quickness, it was about the ease that the 3.6 does everything. It lopes along, it merges effortlessly into traffic without much gas pedal. The low end torque and throttle response in the 3.6 is a HUGE difference. When I had the 2.5i (I've had two) I had to step on it pretty hard to merge into traffic. I had to drive the 2.5i a lot harder to do the same thing. The 3.6 feels like a much more grownup car.

In the city I got a solid 25mpg from the 2.5i. I'm averaging 27mpg in the 3.6.

I debated tirelessly on the 50th 3.6. But fuel economy got me (averaging 38.1mpg with 20% city 80% hwy).

I debated tirelessly on the 50th 3.6. But fuel economy got me (averaging 38.1mpg with 20% city 80% hwy).

Nice mileage! I could never get close to that unless I was at about 55mph on the highway.

I love my 3.6..... drove a 2.5 and was reminded of my TDI before I nozzled and tuned it...

My time with diesels is done, and this past winter I enjoyed the quick warm up, all wheel drive and no worry start up in the frosty Canadian winters! With 4 blizzaks on, it is an awesome ride!

Mileage....8 to 9.5 l/100..... after 20 years with diesels it’s a bit of a shock. No regrets, love the machine!

Nice mileage! I could never get close to that unless I was at about 55mph on the highway.

I too am curious. Is this from the computer, or are you doing the math when you fill it up. I'm looking at about 21mpg this tank, for an all city cycle.

Maybe it’s the altitude or gas he is using? My past few months average has been 21 with mostly city driving. I’m sure my area has switched away from winter blend by now. Going on a trip in a month, hope to see 28/30 again. Wonder if I do need new plugs. About to hit 66k on the odometer.

It all according to when, how, where, you drive. I get GREAT gas mileage but majority of my driving is open roads and the vehicle was bought for a cruiser.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

It all according to when, how, where, you drive. I get GREAT gas mileage but majority of my driving is open roads and the vehicle was bought for a cruiser.

Agreed. I get 27+, (car reports) 29. But lots of back roads and 50 mph cruising to and from where I need to go. I avoid Denver like the plague...

I m a 3.6 owner. I don’t feel 3.6 is a fast car or sporty at all. However, if you are looking for a little more power than traditional 4 cylinder engine family sedan with the benefits all wheel drive. Yes, 3.6 is a good option.

Sticker price of a fully loaded 3.6 is around $36000 in SF Bay Area. Which is not cheap in that segment.

If you are looking for fast and sporty sedan, I would pick Audi A4 or STI. Both options are AWD available.

Good luck for your car shopping and have fun for the test drive!

An Audi A4 isn't really in the same price range as a 3.6 Legacy. An A3 is probably more comparable pricewise and then you are in an entry level sedan.

BTW, I'm sure you know, but never pay sticker price! The sticker on my 3.6 was $36k and change, I paid just over $30k before sales tax and all the crap.

I m a 3.6 owner. I don’t feel 3.6 is a fast car or sporty at all. However, if you are looking for a little more power than traditional 4 cylinder engine family sedan with the benefits all wheel drive. Yes, 3.6 is a good option.

Sticker price of a fully loaded 3.6 is around $36000 in SF Bay Area. Which is not cheap in that segment.

If you are looking for fast and sporty sedan, I would pick Audi A4 or STI. Both options are AWD available.

Good luck for your car shopping and have fun for the test drive!

Not sure why would you mention the sti, 3.6r and a4 are daily drivers, the sti not so much.

I drove both (2.5 and 3.6) last week then went away and considered each one for a while. The only disadvantage I can think of to the 3.6 is the poor mileage. But I need passing power on 2 lane roads so I bought a 3.6.

Your "model comparison" matched my buying experience as well. What I have found is that "sensible" driving can reasonably lessen the "poor mileage" gap between the two choices ...especially on long highway trips where I personally find the 3.6 is in no way a gas guzzler.

I own both the 3.6 and the 2.5. 3.6 car puts the 2.5 car to shame in all areas but for fuel economy in which the nod obviously goes to the smaller engine. The 3.6 gets 28 according to the math, which is 1 mpg less than the car's novelty computer indicates. So I concur with many statements here, if it's in your budget do the 3.6. It outclasses the 2.5 in all areas that matter to me. Until it's gone. Then I can only hope the 2.4DIT Ascent engine gets a home in the Legacy in 2020.

To be fair, most 3.6s are fully loaded. Also, my area 3.6 are mostly stick around the MSRP and not much able to negotiate. You know Californian always looking for outdoor and urban abilities. So, around $35k range are able to get and A4 with premium package.

Back to the topic, it is really depends on the buyer’s driving preference. To be Sporty, I would pick STI, it is around the price range to get a STI. It’s fun, fast with lots to possibilities to mod. If you are looking for a bit sporty, not planning so spend much$$ with a little luxury to fit your age range, then I would pick A4 premium package.

To be fair, most 3.6s are fully loaded. Also, my area 3.6 are mostly stick around the MSRP and not much able to negotiate. You know Californian always looking for outdoor and urban abilities. So, around $35k range are able to get and A4 with premium package.

Back to the topic, it is really depends on the buyer’s driving preference. To be Sporty, I would pick STI, it is around the price range to get a STI. It’s fun, fast with lots to possibilities to mod. If you are looking for a bit sporty, not planning so spend much$$ with a little luxury to fit your age range, then I would pick A4 premium package.

I really shake my head to someone is criticizing a vehicle because of this and that, for the money you can get this instead or that and then purchase the Basic level. This statement is from an ex A100 - A6 owner who really enjoys the cruising of the Legacy 3.6R.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived