LegacyGT.com

3.6R Opinions

Seriously though, I don't get why everyone is so upset here. You preferring the 2.5 is in no way an insult to me; just as my preference for the 3.6 has no bearing on you.

Yeah, essentially no one (in this thread) who opted for a 2.5 has made the slightest implication that the 3.6 does not out-perform the 2.5. So why people are getting so upset is hard to explain.

To Max: Even if people don't use the phrase "cost benefit analysis" (certainly not a phrase I invented or a new concept), that's what people are usually doing when they make choices. (Some people use the phrase "pros and cons", which sounds less stuffy, but it's the same thing!)

"It's not about what you need, it's about what you want" is a perfect example of CBA, or at least a first pass at a CBA. (The second pass is choosing among things you want when you find you can't always have it all.)

By the way, cost is not the only (potential) downside to the 3.6. It burns more gas, and that IS an issue to many (even though it may not be an issue to everyone). Also, it only comes as a Limited, which may mean for some people that they are forced to get lots of options they don't want in order to get the bigger engines. (Are vegans allowed to buy leather seats?)

What's useful about this thread is that people have explained their decision making processes. Maybe some people will discover a way of thinking that hadn't occurred to them before, but which might resonate perfectly with them.

It's not a dick measuring contest (I hope that's ok to say here).

There is no contest. I win.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, essentially no one (in this thread) who opted for a 2.5 has made the slightest implication that the 3.6 does not out-perform the 2.5. So why people are getting so upset is hard to explain.

To Max: Even if people don't use the phrase "cost benefit analysis" (certainly not a phrase I invented or a new concept), that's what people are usually doing when they make choices. (Some people use the phrase "pros and cons", which sounds less stuffy, but it's the same thing!)

"It's not about what you need, it's about what you want" is a perfect example of CBA, or at least a first pass at a CBA. (The second pass is choosing among things you want when you find you can't always have it all.)

By the way, cost is not the only (potential) downside to the 3.6. It burns more gas, and that IS an issue to many (even though it may not be an issue to everyone). Also, it only comes as a Limited, which may mean for some people that they are forced to get lots of options they don't want in order to get the bigger engines. (Are vegans allowed to buy leather seats?)

What's useful about this thread is that people have explained their decision making processes. Maybe some people will discover a way of thinking that hadn't occurred to them before, but which might resonate perfectly with them.

There is no contest. I win.

;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok, I have to say this, feel like chiming in but I just want to say both motors are wonderful! The 2.5i has good power, and is very fuel efficient when you consider that it is hooked up to an AWD system as well. The 3.6R is super smooth, powerful and has a good exhaust note in my opinion. I can see why people get either engine option. So if we could all put the bickering aside that would be great! So to the OP, buy what you want, you know both engines well and consider your options.

Wow!!! You guy's are passionate about your Subaru's. I originally started this thread to get opinions on the 3.6R as I have a 2013 2.5 with 123,000 miles and I'm getting ready to trade it in. I put approximately 40,000 miles/year on my vehicle and I was considering moving up to a Limited model as it has the amenities to make my many hours behind the wheel more enjoyable. Since I'm considering the Limited I wanted to know how 3.6R owners feel about their car.

I'm just looking for something that's a little more fun to drive. The difference in fuel consumption is immaterial to me.

My sales territory was just expanded into the snow belt of NY state and I'm now considering the Outback 3.6R due to the added ground clearance. My wife has a 15' Outback 2.5 and we both really like it. I really like the Legacy and I'm having a tough time figuring out whether to go to the Outback or not. My Legacy has gone through 6-7" of snow on A/S tires with no problem so I don't know if I need to consider the Outback. What are your opinions??

To each is own and your choices and opinions are your own.

Absolutely true.

But...

Many people wish to do their best to make good choices and have wise opinions. Neither is easy to achieve without facts and solid analysis. Discussions like this help those interested to be aware of facts they may not have known, and to find ways of considering the issue they may not have thought of.

Wow!!! You guy's are passionate about your Subaru's. I originally started this thread to get opinions on the 3.6R as I have a 2013 2.5 with 123,000 miles and I'm getting ready to trade it in. I put approximately 40,000 miles/year on my vehicle and I was considering moving up to a Limited model as it has the amenities to make my many hours behind the wheel more enjoyable. Since I'm considering the Limited I wanted to know how 3.6R owners feel about their car.

I thought you'd started a forum war and then just disappeared!!!

I also use my 2.5 as a rep car, however my company has a fuel consumption limit and the 3.6 falls outside the max allowable requirement.

One thing to keep in mind given you spend so much in the seats is that - comfort of the seats. I have he cloth seats and they did take a good 5,000-10,000 miles to beak in and get comfortable. They are still quite firm after ~20,000 miles. I think the leather in the gen6 is better in this respects but certainly something to keep in mind.

I'm just looking for something that's a little more fun to drive. The difference in fuel consumption is immaterial to me.

The 3.6R is 200(?)lbs heavier car than the 2.5 and the Outback is heavier again. Save the $ on the 3.6 and instead spend it on a supercharger kit and suspension/handling mods for the 2.5 [emoji13]

This is the path I'm heading down with my 2.5. With tune only (no supercharger) you'll get close to a 3.6R in straight line performance and with suspension/brakes upgrade you'll pick up the difference in braking and handling.

My sales territory was just expanded into the snow belt of NY state and I'm now considering the Outback 3.6R due to the added ground clearance. My wife has a 15' Outback 2.5 and we both really like it. I really like the Legacy and I'm having a tough time figuring out whether to go to the Outback or not. My Legacy has gone through 6-7" of snow on A/S tires with no problem so I don't know if I need to consider the Outback. What are your opinions??

I don't have snow so it wasn't a consideration for me, however I do see a lot more of the new Outbacks on the road compared to the Legacy(Liberty).

If you're going to add one option make sure you include eyesight. Makes driving in traffic so much more easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger73,

I'm still here.

Good idea on the supercharger but I don't think the CVT in the 2.5 will hold up. The Forester XT turbo uses the new High Torque CVT because the standard CVT wouldn't hold up. The 3.6's also use the new CVT.

The seats in my car are still like new and are as comfortable as the day I drove the car off the lot. I'm not sure if the leather seats will hold up as well.

Yes agree on the standard CVT/supercharger not being a good mix and that's one of the reasons why I didn't go down this route (cost of the s/c being the other consideration). I'm happy enough pushing the envelope with a tune/remap but supercharging would be too much for the standard CVT I would think. You'd then need to upgrade the CVT which doesn't make economic sense (just buy the WRX....).

I'm not sure how much of a hurry you're in and if you guys are getting the Levorg over there but this will certainly be on my shopping list next time I change cars in a couple of years.

I'm not sure how much of a hurry you're in and if you guys are getting the Levorg over there but this will certainly be on my shopping list next time I change cars in a couple of years.

The Levorg isn't coming to the USA.

The Levorg isn't coming to the USA.

Yeah I wish it was but I've heard it's basically a WRX Wagon.. it's smaller than the Outback but almost the same size as a WRX Stretched into a Wagon.. [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I think its coming down to body style. We just got our 3.6R Outback and love the car. I have driven my 05 GT wagon for years in all kind of weather, the car is 1" lowered. No problem with snow.

The 3.6R Legacy is a pretty nice looking car. Nice exhaust tips.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

:offtopic:

2.5 sucks nuff said.

Mine does. It sucks lots of air past 4k rpm right up to redline, which happens REAL fast!

It blows too.... lots of pressurized air into the combustion chamber.

The six sucks...get the 2.5

I did.

Kinda feel sorry for y'all arguing which NA motor is better.

Just messing with with ya, but man , is it a fun car to drive. Too bad it's the wifes daily driver, not mine.

:cool:

If my memory serves, last time I was on the Outback site, there was a strong argument for the 3.6 in the OB , especially if you're dealing with hills or mountains.

It seems the weight was the issue ... now I have to go look up the weight difference between the Leggy and the OB and see if that is even valid.

(edit: Comparing between equivalent trim models , the OB is 125 to 148 lbs heavier than an equivalent Legacy.

Not a great amount, IMO.)

As far as ground clearance in snow , I've had the low slung GT in 6 or 8 inch snow (on snow tires, the GT's shipped with summer tires) , on the highway and was fine.

Christmas eve day, basically empty roads, divided hiway , hauling about 50mph where I'd normally do 70+. It was a blast for about 2 or 3 hours.

If it had been 18 inches of heavy a$$ slush, then I'd probably want my truck back.

personally I would not do it unless your current car is paid off... I have driven both the 2.5i and 3.6R and there is no way I would trade up to get a flat 6. I would just wait and save a little more and get it outright. with the outback I would get the flat6 as it will not struggle as the 2.5 does when climbing moderate grades...

Archived