LegacyGT.com

3.6R Opinions

As you can see, OP was curious as to what 3.6R owners had to say. This thread has been full of 3.6R owners giving their opinion as to why they believe the 3.6 is a better fit for the Legacy platform than the 2.5. Yet, there is a continual drumbeat by the 2.5 brigade about how their engine is good enough and that they drive the 2.5 for unicorns and puppies. No one cares if you think a 9.0 sec 0-60 and ~17 second 1/4 mile is good for you.

Yea, I admitted your point.

When I pre-order my 15 back in April 2014, that's when the 6th gen didn't hit the dealer until July. I had to test drive a 2014 2.5i which not much different than the 13' and the 15' as for performance. I was stunted about the 2.5i performance coming from test driving other 4cyl makes and few v6 competitors I was testing out during my shopping from 4cyl Fusion titanium, Lexus IS350 and CLA250. But as Op owned a 13' for 3-4yrs now if you feels there's a lack of power then the 3.6R is a great choice! Otherwise the CVT should be improved from previous gen, but it's still annoying for some not patient drivers. Like said the 2.5i an 3.6R is hard to beat for the money if you're shopping for a luxury car within 30k-50k range.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this a response to my post? Can't tell for sure, but I'm guessing it is.

Hopefully, you didn't read into my post that there would be no difference between the two engines when going up hills or with a full load?

What I did say, in essence, was that when I did the cost-benefit analysis, the benefits were tiny compared to the costs.

Obviously, what the "benefits" are and what the "costs" are varies from person to person. And the IMPORTANCE of each benefit and cost differ from person to person as well.

But for ME, if I looked at any of the benefits, two things were true:

(1) The 2.5i was far, far above the "minimally acceptable" line, and

(2) If that particular aspect of performance had been of major importance to me, I'd have been looking at cars other than Legacys.

Kindly note that this is quite different from saying that the 3.6 wouldn't be "better" or that I wouldn't like the 3.6 "more".

P.S. I've driven my Legacy with 5 adults up hills. It performed wonderfully.

Nope, just stating a fact, when my GF drove the 3.6R then a 2.5i up the same hill, her mind was made up, in fact when I told her it was time to trade in her 2008 Ford Escape v6, the first words out of her mouth were, "I don't want a 4 cylinder". She didn't want a car where you hear the engine working under a little stress. We also test drove a Ford Fusion with the turbo, it was noisy too. The 3.6R is the car we will drive when we want a nice ride. We won't take it all the time, I'll use up my other cars first.

Myself I would not buy the 4 when the 6 is available. Both my Legacy GT's are running much more HP then stock.

I us, HP matters more then using gas. We are very happy with the power of the 3.6, we have it on an Outback, it is still enough for the added weight. We have just over 1000 miles on it. You can give the car a quick stab of the throttle when you want to pull into traffic quickly and the car jumps forward.

The other night we took my Spec B to dinner, pulling out into traffic I gave it a bit of throttle in 2nd gear, she say's, "you don't feel that in my 3.6R".

Again this thread is about why we like our 3.6's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As you can see, OP was curious as to what 3.6R owners had to say. This thread has been full of 3.6R owners giving their opinion as to why they believe the 3.6 is a better fit for the Legacy platform than the 2.5. Yet, there is a continual drumbeat by the 2.5 brigade about how their engine is good enough and that they drive the 2.5 for unicorns and puppies. No one cares if you think a 9.0 sec 0-60 and ~17 second 1/4 mile is good for you.

I invite you to re-visit the first few pages of responses to the OP and count how many of them were direct responses to the OP's question. I think you'll find that pretty much none of them were. Not sure why you chose my post to single out, but I guess you had to choose someone. Lucky me! :)

Yes, in terms of what people in general think is "good enough", the 2.5 engine IS good enough (actually, it's far better than that). I think the sales figures and reviews of the car justify that point. It's perfectly fine that you disagree with "people in general". I disagree with them all the time, but not in this case.

But you've made me curious. What 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are good enough?

I honestly have no idea what the "unicorn and puppies" thing is about, maybe I'm missing some inside joke.

As you can see, OP was curious as to what 3.6R owners had to say. This thread has been full of 3.6R owners giving their opinion as to why they believe the 3.6 is a better fit for the Legacy platform than the 2.5.

Well... Let's see about this...

Isn't it only logical to think that the 3.6R owners would say that the 3.6 is a better fit for the platform? I mean, after all you did choose to buy the 3.6 over the 2.5.

I don't think asking for only the opinion of 3.6R owners is/was going to get the OP the answer he is seeking. By only asking for the opinion of 3.6R owners, he's basically getting a selection bias. That's not going to help anybody.

Lastly, I think it's not really a question a group can answer for the OP. It's a subjective question and really comes down to the values of the OP and his financial situation.

Some people here obviously believe the 2.5 is adequate, while others believe it's not. Arbitrary standards defining 0-60 and 1/4 times further obscure the answer. Everybody has a different definition of what is acceptable.

I think the OP needs to better elaborate on why he wants to make the upgrade and give more details about what he can afford, his driving style, purpose of the vehicle etc.

Nobody here disagrees that the 3.6R is a better motor and more capable. I would also like to think that if money was no object, people would get the 3.6R or another car altogether. However, we don't know the circumstances.

Anyways... End rant... I get annoyed when people assert their opinion as fact and finite. The reality is that it's a complicated question.

Not always. I own both and the Op did asked for the 3.6 owners opinion because I believe he was asking since he already made up his mind and wanted reassurance. Since at the present time the vehicle he owns has the 2.5i and he knows the advanges of the the H-4 . BTW his wife has owns 5th Gen Outback bought recently. I would agree with you fully but the way the question was addressed it leads to To40gawlf assumption.

The 2.5 is just fine and the 3.6 is my personal opinion bring the Legacy up a notch.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

^^^I love these kind of replies...did you really have to say that:eek: Not a damn thing wrong with the 2.5. We all have several reasons we bought what we bought and there is no right or wrong choice. Would you like to apologize to all of the 2.5 owners:spin:

I think most people would prefer the 3.6R if they had the choice. Cost and value are a personal thing. The reality of the situation is most of us would be driving something different if budget weren't an issue.

I think both cars offer good value for the price. If you can afford the 3.6R then go for it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I am not "most people". Money is not an issue for me and I can afford to buy what ever I want. I chose the 2.5 as I found no real value in the 3.6

You must be one of these type's, "cost-benefit analysis" ;) got that quote from Quadrangle above.

When my son was 13y/o, I was thinking about buying a new ski jacket. I said to him, I like it but I don't really need it. He said back to me, Dad, its not about what you need, its about what you want.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max but not a CBA at all. I drove the 2.5...drove the 3.6...originally went looking for a 3.6 thinking that's what I would want. Saw the difference in price...read a ton of reviews...came to the same conclusion as many of the reviews that stated the 3.6 wasn't worth the money and the performance increase wasn't that significant. Just because you can afford something doesn't mean it's the best choice. I'm not a 3.6 hater like many of the 3.6 owners that are 2.5 haters. We all have free will and the freedom to purchase what we want. Regardless of what model or engine you bought...you made a great choice...it's a Subaru!

I guess I am not "most people". Money is not an issue for me and I can afford to buy what ever I want. I chose the 2.5 as I found no real value in the 3.6

Ahh, you sound like a man of wealth and taste?

You guys have me at a loss for words. Seems like just a bunch of mean folks talking $hit...you all must be Democrats;)

Hey now... watch it, some of us are very nice; you just live on the wrong side of the river. I was thinking they sounded more like Trump supporters anyway. :-)

Seriously though, I don't get why everyone is so upset here. You preferring the 2.5 is in no way an insult to me; just as my preference for the 3.6 has no bearing on you. It's not a dick measuring contest (I hope that's ok to say here).

We all bought awesome cars, and if anything the arguing goes to show that we all feel strongly that we made the right decision.

Not always. I own both and the Op did asked for the 3.6 owners opinion because I believe he was asking since he already made up his mind and wanted reassurance. Since at the present time the vehicle he owns has the 2.5i and he knows the advanges of the the H-4 . BTW his wife owns a 5th Gen Outback same as our 6 Gen they bought recently. I would agree with you fully but the way the question was addressed it leads to To40gawlf assumption.

The 2.5 is just fine and the 3.6 is my personal opinion bring the Legacy up a notch.

Just reposted it.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived