LegacyGT.com

3.6R Opinions

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OP,

The truth of the matter is that the 2.5 is a sweet engine and pretty powerful for its size. The further truth is that the Legacy is too heavy a vehicle for the 2.5. While you can manage with the 2.5 in a 3500lb Legacy, it really is better with the H6. If you do a lot of long distance, flat highway driving, then the 2.5 might fit your bill, if you enjoy acceleration at all or need passing power without too much commotion, the 3.6 is what you're after.

I, for one, would love to see a turbo version of the FB25.

Agreed. The 2.5 is a decent engine and will power the Legacy just fine. The 3.6 certainly changes the personality of the car ... not in a racer way, but with more smooth power and nice throaty engine sound.

It comes down to personal preference. Coming out of a LGT LTD 2.5 Turbo, I just wasn't going to be happy with the 2.5 na engine ... 3.6 for me. My wife loves her 2009 2.5i Outback, good enough for her, but I think it's a bit of a dog ... especially when loaded down. We also have a 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS wagon for the boy. Now, that little car can fly, especially with the lighter weight and how nicely balanced it is. Even my wife notices the difference and comments on how fast it goes when she drives it.

Let's see, the 3.6 never feels like it is struggling or straining. Sounds great at full throttle. Still averaging 26 mpg city driving with a heavy foot. Feels more "solid" on the road. No exhaust cut out filler needed on the rear bumper.

They are both great cars, drive a 3.6R and see if it is what you want.

Nothing actually "wrong" with the 3.6r but it was not quick enough for me to warrant the extra money and reduction in fuel economy. It is certainly quicker than the 2.5i but it's about the same as my Toyota Sienna or my brothers Odyssey, so not exactly a burner.

It's why the TLX AWD was so tempting because that car was pretty quick.

As owners of 2 Legacy's, my wife drives a 2015 Limited and I'm a proud driver of 2016 Limited 3.6 there is a definite difference its just a matter of what you want. I personally felt the 4 banger was little on low end of the power spectrum for me.

If having a fast car was a priority for me, then I wouldn't have gotten a Legacy at all.

For me, having a car that's "plenty fast enough" is enough to make me happy as long as other aspects of the car make me happy, and the 2.5i hits on all cylinders. The potential small increase in fun factor just was not enough to justify spending extra money, more frequent gas stops and contributing more to global warming.

Main difference between the 2.5i and 3.6R is your ankle will get more of a workout in the 2.5i as you'll be pushing the pedal down further to get power. Therefore it's a healthier choice. #workout

Kidding aside, the 2.5i does have less weight way out front which contributes to slightly better handling, if that matters to you. I'd love a 3.6R with some headers, exhaust, and tuned but I'm more than happy with what I have.

FWIW my dad who has said he will never, ever buy anything with less than 250 hp was impressed with the get up and go of the 4 banger/CVT combo.

Either way it's a great car with a solid reliable engine.

Agreed^. The low end torque is plenty, even at altitude. Would I like a little bit more grunt? Sure! I don't feel like I am missing out though as I tend to be a relaxed driver now, compared to my more youthful days.

I agree with you there.. I didn't really want the hassles of working a Clutch Pedal in Traffic at my age.. My knees already have taking a beating working on Military Aircraft for 20+ Years.. I enjoy the Relaxed Feel and Now that I'm building a VIP Style Car it suits the Drive Style.. [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

:spin:

The political progressive position should just dump the vehicles buy bicycles. 🐆😆

Seems strange that anyone would look to politicians or political pundits for information about science-related topics when there are far better sources around.

In any case, I know a lot of political progressives (I live in MA, after all), and not a single one holds a view remotely similar to the one you described.

To OP:

Our first Subaru, but I've owned an Evo for many years. The Evo was a great baseline for us in deciding to go 3.6r for my wife. We replaced her 2002 AWD Highlander. For sure she wanted passing power and better EPA than her Yota, which we met.

After test driving the 2.5i vs. the 3.6r I feel the 3.6r is better power/weight ratio balanced for its size. Yes, EPA is less, but overall it felt more complete. Dont get me wrong, the 2.5 is more than capable, but after driving the 3.6r, the decision was clear for us. All in all, it came down to overall value for us....yes we sacrificed in EPA but to this day, we do not regret our decision one bit.

Only one issue I notice is the body roll...car is heavier, so the RSB upgrade is coming in the next week or so.

My wife likes how our Evo handles and also test-drove a 2016 WRX...stiff is ok for her....

The question we asked ourselves was " If we were to upgrade from an Evo to something a bit more mature, with ample power, and luxurious with reliable AWD, what would it be......?"

All roads pointed to the Legacy 3.6r...

Plus, she said, we don't see many 3.6Rs on the road, so she feels a bit exclusive in her choice....

Just our opinion and feedback.

My only issues:

-cvt tranny

-plushy body roll

Not bad issues, just something to add to your decision-making process.

Good luck!!!

To OP:

Our first Subaru, but I've owned an Evo for many years. The Evo was a great baseline for us in deciding to go 3.6r for my wife. We replaced her 2002 AWD Highlander. For sure she wanted passing power and better EPA than her Yota, which we met.

After test driving the 2.5i vs. the 3.6r I feel the 3.6r is better power/weight ratio balanced for its size. Yes, EPA is less, but overall it felt more complete. Dont get me wrong, the 2.5 is more than capable, but after driving the 3.6r, the decision was clear for us. All in all, it came down to overall value for us....yes we sacrificed in EPA but to this day, we do not regret our decision one bit.

Only one issue I notice is the body roll...car is heavier, so the RSB upgrade is coming in the next week or so.

My wife likes how our Evo handles and also test-drove a 2016 WRX...stiff is ok for her....

The question we asked ourselves was " If we were to upgrade from an Evo to something a bit more mature, with ample power, and luxurious with reliable AWD, what would it be......?"

All roads pointed to the Legacy 3.6r...

Plus, she said, we don't see many 3.6Rs on the road, so she feels a bit exclusive in her choice....

Just our opinion and feedback.

My only issues:

-cvt tranny

-plushy body roll

Not bad issues, just something to add to your decision-making process.

Good luck!!!

Excellent wrap up in a nutshell regarding the 3.6R from the perspective of someone who appreciates a little bit of performance in a car.

The 2.5 would be tolerable with a 6 speed manual behind it, but with a CVT its a no-go for anyone that appreciates any sort of performance from their car.

Excellent wrap up in a nutshell regarding the 3.6R from the perspective of someone who appreciates a little bit of performance in a car.

The 2.5 would be tolerable with a 6 speed manual behind it, but with a CVT its a no-go for anyone that appreciates any sort of performance from their car.

Thx man. Happy to be part of a great community....cheers!

Go drive a 2.5 up a long incline then do the same with a 3.6. You'll then know why we like the 3.6 much better. The 2.5 is very noisy doing that, it's working harder then the 3.6. Now add another couple people and luggage in the car...get the point ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Go drive a 2.5 up a long incline then do the same with a 3.6. You'll then know why we like the 3.6 much better. The 2.5 is very noisy doing that, it's working harder then the 3.6. Now add another couple people and luggage in the car...get the point ?

Is this a response to my post? Can't tell for sure, but I'm guessing it is.

Hopefully, you didn't read into my post that there would be no difference between the two engines when going up hills or with a full load?

What I did say, in essence, was that when I did the cost-benefit analysis, the benefits were tiny compared to the costs.

Obviously, what the "benefits" are and what the "costs" are varies from person to person. And the IMPORTANCE of each benefit and cost differ from person to person as well.

But for ME, if I looked at any of the benefits, two things were true:

(1) The 2.5i was far, far above the "minimally acceptable" line, and

(2) If that particular aspect of performance had been of major importance to me, I'd have been looking at cars other than Legacys.

Kindly note that this is quite different from saying that the 3.6 wouldn't be "better" or that I wouldn't like the 3.6 "more".

P.S. I've driven my Legacy with 5 adults up hills. It performed wonderfully.

Why the hell is everyone so sensitive about what car we chose? I chose the H6 because... reasons; but I'm not offended that someone else chose the 2.5 based on their own preferences. Gas mileage is a thing that many people care about; if that's priority #1, they probably chose the 2.5. Power is a thing other people care about, they probably chose the 3.6.

So, to get back to the intent of the original post... I bought the 3.6. I love it. I'm coming from an '05 Forester XT, so I'm aware of the capabilities of a good 4cyl engine. I loved the Forester and never had issues with power/acceleration until exhaust valves started to go. Test drove another Forester, test drove the Legacy. When I got in the 3.6 I was impressed with the additional power. Is it a screaming fast car? Of course not, the CVT holds it back too much for that. But It has easy power and I loved the feel of the drive. Would I have been satisfied with the H4? Undoubtedly; but I considered the extra power of the H6 a nice to have, and I could afford the additional cost. Extra bonus, because I do care about things like efficiency I'm actually getting better mileage now than I did during the last several years of the Forester (and don't have to buy premium fuel).

Long story short ("too late!"), I have zero regrets about buying the H6. I suspect people that bought the H4 feel the same. Test drive both, and go with what feels right and/or what you can afford. Base the decision off what *you* want.

I'm thinking of trading in my 13' 2.5 for a 2016 3.6R. Any feedback from 2016 3.6R owners would be greatly appreciated.

Is this... yadayadayada....

As you can see, OP was curious as to what 3.6R owners had to say. This thread has been full of 3.6R owners giving their opinion as to why they believe the 3.6 is a better fit for the Legacy platform than the 2.5. Yet, there is a continual drumbeat by the 2.5 brigade about how their engine is good enough and that they drive the 2.5 for unicorns and puppies. No one cares if you think a 9.0 sec 0-60 and ~17 second 1/4 mile is good for you.

Archived