LegacyGT.com

HID install - XenonDepot Philips 4300k

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

As @securityguy indicated, I would suggest using the tie straps provided with the kit in addition to the double-sided tape provide with the XenonDepot HID kit.

Steve

I haven't looked yet, but is there a place to hook the tie-wraps. I know people are mounting the ballasts right under the headlight on some ledge. Are there holes anywhere near there?

Not where all of us are mounting the ballasts but there are other locations nearby that you can do a temp install with wire ties until you can use the tape. Not many good mounting locations for accessories as engine bays have gotten so tight over the years.

Not where all of us are mounting the ballasts but there are other locations nearby that you can do a temp install with wire ties until you can use the tape. Not many good mounting locations for accessories as engine bays have gotten so tight over the years.

Gotcha

I'll just wait until May or June. The girlfriend won't die waiting for 4 months. Plus, it'll give me more time to get projector LED fog lights.

Gotcha

I'll just wait until May or June. The girlfriend won't die waiting for 4 months. Plus, it'll give me more time to get projector LED fog lights.

Just warm it up with a hair dryer or something. For sticking something heavy I'd wait until it's warm but the ballasts aren't heavy and the included tape is way oversized. If you're that worried supplement the tape with a zip tie. Really not worth waiting 5 months for the extra visibility!! Just my .02

Gotcha

We've had many customers install them in cold weather without any issues. To be sure you can heat up the surface you're sticking them to and use zip ties as well.

Danny

Danny, just so you understand, where we are mounting these there is nowhere to also mount with zip ties. I agree that you must warm up the surface greatly in cold weather. If you look at 3M's website or any other company manufacturing double sided tape, they will tell you that you must install above 65-70 degrees F for a solid bond to the surface. Edited by securityguy

^^Could use a different location, there's plenty of nooks and crannies around the headlight. I know down lower there's a bar with holes in it, I mounted my turn signal load resistors there.

Got around to installing the HID 4300k Philips kit today. I had the XD H11 6K LEDs installed. I would first like to thank Securityguy with his input and help.

Prior to installation, you need to remove the clear plastic protection bulb case. I also cutoff the rubber grommet which held the wiring. The Legacy lights aren't installed behind a weather proof housing. You may want to keep the grommet on if you think you might change vehicles.

Passenger side, I installed the ballast and ignitor in the same location as Securityguy. On the drivers side, the ballast was the same. However, I installed the ignitor further down the frame, almost below the headlight assy (used 2 pieces of tape). I wasn't able to remove the jumper wiring (included in kit) between the ballast and factory light connector, as others. Without the jumper, the connection didn't lock down. I could pull them apart easily. With the jumper wire, everything snapped and locked.

So here's my pictures comparing the two configuration.

First, XD H11 LED (old)

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2339&pictureid=11099

Now the XD 4300K Philips HID:

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2339&pictureid=11098

I haven't driven the car with the new setup. Just moved the car to take the picts. But, it does look impressive. The downrange does look greater. I also didn't notice a color difference from the old LEDs. Btw I also have XD H11 LEDs in the Fogs, which were on in both pictures. Looking forward for some night driving.

The folks from XenonDepot are excellent to work with and stand behind their products. If you read feedback from others on this site (and other sites), I don't know why anyone would deal with other vendors. XD only for me !

Edited by DA_MAXX
Trying to make pictures visible.

Here's the HID 4300k Philips Bulb assy. Look to install this weekend.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2339&pictureid=11097

Got around to installing the HID 4300k Philips kit today. I had the XD H11 6K LEDs installed. I would first like to thank Securityguy with his input and help.

Prior to installation, you need to remove the clear plastic protection bulb case. I also cutoff the rubber grommet which held the wiring. The Legacy lights aren't installed behind a weather proof housing. You may want to keep the grommet on if you think you might change vehicles.

Passenger side, I installed the ballast and ignitor in the same location as Securityguy. On the drivers side, the ballast was the same. However, I installed the ignitor further down the frame, almost below the headlight assy (used 2 pieces of tape). I wasn't able to remove the jumper wiring (included in kit) between the ballast and factory light connector, as others. Without the jumper, the connection didn't lock down. I could pull them apart easily. With the jumper wire, everything snapped and locked.

So here's my pictures comparing the two configuration.

First, XD H11 LED (old)

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2339&pictureid=11099

Now the XD 4300K Philips HID:

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2339&pictureid=11098

I haven't driven the car with the new setup. Just moved the car to take the picts. But, it does look impressive. The downrange does look greater. I also didn't notice a color difference from the old LEDs. Btw I also have XD H11 LEDs in the Fogs, which were on in both pictures. Looking forward for some night driving.

The folks from XenonDepot are excellent to work with and stand behind their products. If you read feedback from others on this site (and other sites), I don't know why anyone would deal with other vendors. XD only for me !

Is it just me or can nobody see these pictures???

I see them in the advanced reply with the code, but I don't see the pictures on the regular page

Are the pictures visible to others?

I did use the "Go Advanced" option to preview the post prior to posting. Not sure how to correct.

Nope, I don't think anyone can see them. If you edit your post, you can probably get them in again.

I just checked the thread with another browser program without being logged into my legacygt account. The picture aren't present. I do see them, when I use Chrome when logged into the Legacygt forum.

When I wrote my reply, I used the insert image button. It asked for the http link, which I copied from my album. It looks fine when I'm logged in. Not sure how to fix.

Is there a size limit for the pictures? Mine was taken from my Note4.

OK, think I got it. Another try:

Picture of light bulb assy:

288247366_XDHIDLight.thumb.jpg.046824fd59eab5976d9cf5bb03caee08.jpg

Old XD LED light:

1379424298_XDLEDH11.thumb.jpg.c39346428b5cfe79b1291c5f37fd8233.jpg

New XD HID light:

1039848556_XDHIDH11.thumb.jpg.04c796d370d49b1a4f2b14e27912d465.jpg

Edited by DA_MAXX
Correct pictures

Steve, Happy is an understatement for the product. I finally had a chance last night and this morning to drive in the dark. As you've stated before, if you want to produce the most light output, HID is what you want. I was also very pleased with the color, no hint of yellow. The 4300k Philips HID combined with my 6K LEDs (fog) look awesome color wise. As you see in my pictures, there's more light downrange. When I kick the HI (6k LED), the light focus gets taller, don't notice much more downrange. I'm extremely satisfied with my current setup.

Have you folks considered building other light products for the Legacy? Looking for an extreme "Backup" light option. I installed LED license plate lights, look great, but I think it washes out the backup camera in complete darkness. I think I need less bright light on the license plate and a brighter backup light.

Thanks for all you help. XenonDepot only way to go !!