LegacyGT.com

HID install - XenonDepot Philips 4300k

I did look at the philips. However, I was not excited with only 200 lm output. I believe I put in a brighter lumen bulb but it's doesn't have the directional beam. So that appears to be factor?

andrew_l_s did you replace your license plate lights with LEDs?

Edited by DA_MAXX

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did look at the philips. However, I was not excited with only 200 lm output. I believe I put in a brighter lumen bulb but it's doesn't have the directional beam. So that appears to be factor?

Not 100% sure what bulbs you're referring to, but lumens are not exactly a "standardized" unit of measurement. 200 lumens from company A could be very different than 200 lumens from company B.

Usually high end companies like Philips are very conservative in their Lumen readings. So the lower brands may claim higher Lumens than Philips, but in reality Philips are brighter.

I'm not sure if this helps at all because I can't really tell what you're talking about, but I figured I would chime in

... lumens are not exactly a "standardized" unit of measurement.

The Lumen is a precisely standardized measure of luminous energy per unit time. This is not the same thing as luminous intensity or "brightness." 100 Lumens concentrated in a narrow beam is much brighter than 100 Lumens emitted spherically ... i.e. distributed uniformly in all directions.

I agree that some lamp manufacturers seem to be much more ethical with their Lumen ratings than others.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The Lumen is a precisely standardized measure of luminous energy per unit time. This is not the same thing as luminous intensity or "brightness." 100 Lumens concentrated in a narrow beam is much brighter than 100 Lumens emitted spherically ... i.e. distributed uniformly in all directions.

I agree that some lamp manufacturers seem to be much more ethical with their Lumen ratings than others.

Notice the quotations around "standardized"?

You know exactly what I meant.

Thanks for the correction.

andrew_l_s did you replace your license plate lights with LEDs?

It's not just about output, direction is important too. I have LEDs with backward firing diodes in my front turn signals and rear converted extra backup lights as well, which fill up the reflectors and distribute the light out quite nicely.

I have natural white LEDs from superbrightleds.com in my license plate. I highly recommend them if you're looking for high quality stuff.

andrew_l_s I'll have to give directional ones a try. My concern with LEDs in the license plate area, is that they wash out the camera in extreme dark conditions. The camera picture is bright white. So I'm thinking of running less output on the license plate area and more from the backup lights. Thanks!

andrew_l_s I'll have to give directional ones a try. My concern with LEDs in the license plate area, is that they wash out the camera in extreme dark conditions. The camera picture is bright white. So I'm thinking of running less output on the license plate area and more from the backup lights. Thanks!

The camera is aimed away from the lights. Mine are rated at 85 lumens so they're extremely bright for license plate lights, no issues with washed out camera picture. I have these in natural white: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-can-bus-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1127/

***Note that our cars do not need canbus compatible ones. It won't hurt using them though, only difference is they have a small load resistor. The canbus ones are cheaper and come in natural white so I went with them.

Philips typically rates their lumens with "effective lumens" whereas a lot of other manufacturers simply use "raw lumens." Basically... Philips gives realistic real-life number of lumens, whereas other manufacturers overrate the output and use theoretical numbers.

Steve

How does the 4300k look when compared to the LED surround on the headlights? Looks like 4300 is the way to go but am looking to match those up as close as possible :)

Also, if I were to go with the LED fogs, is 5k or 6k better in your guy's opinion?

Edited by h4xit
Fogs question

How does the 4300k look when compared to the LED surround on the headlights? Looks like 4300 is the way to go but am looking to match those up as close as possible :)

Also, if I were to go with the LED fogs, is 5k or 6k better in your guy's opinion?

Where do you live? Do you live in a place where snow, rain, and/or fog are common? If so, you want to stay away from higher K ratings. You'll experience too much reflection from the light. With that being said, 5000K should give you the most light output (I think). Steve from XenonDepot can give you much better input.

Hopefully he replies soon

h4xit - 4300k is definitely the best in terms of light output, however if you are looking for a "crisper" color without compensating too much functionality the XenonDepot 5000k HID kit is definitely a good option. Several members on this forum have them and are quite satisfied.

Steve

Where do you live? Do you live in a place where snow, rain, and/or fog are common? If so, you want to stay away from higher K ratings. You'll experience too much reflection from the light. With that being said, 5000K should give you the most light output (I think). Steve from XenonDepot can give you much better input.

Hopefully he replies soon

I live in Seattle - rain definitely common :). I'll grab the 4300k, thanks for the input

h4xit - 4300k is definitely the best in terms of light output, however if you are looking for a "crisper" color without compensating too much functionality the XenonDepot 5000k HID kit is definitely a good option. Several members on this forum have them and are quite satisfied.

Steve

Sounds great. I'm assuming if I end up needing the 5000k I can always buy and swap out the lamps? Sorry, totally new to headlight mods :)

Edited by h4xit

Okay. Sorry it's not the HID feedback. But back to backup lights. I just replaced them with the JDM...50W, 950Lm bulbs. Big difference from the old LEDs I had. The cam is not washed out.

XD please make a 2K Lm or better..btw.. The 4.3k Philips is still awesome !

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine installed today. Incredibly easy install - I was like "wow, no way it is this easy" but it was. Literally plug stock harness in by the lamp, other three cables to ballast and away you go. Plenty of room under the hood to work too. Glad I saw here that you don't need to use the relay - which, by the way, why don't we?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160204/e116b04cca6619eb1042b9e8343a8f51.jpg

Stock

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160204/4b212327677da8620262a7a4f15cec28.jpg

4300k Phillips HID

Glad I saw here that you don't need to use the relay - which, by the way, why don't we?

Stock halogens draw 55w of power while HIDs only pull 35w. It's less strain on the electrical system than stock.

Stock halogens draw 55w of power while HIDs only pull 35w. It's less strain on the electrical system than stock.

Thanks man. So even 55w HID lamps would work without the relay? Not that I plan on getting those. 35 are killer as is

Got mine installed today. Incredibly easy install - I was like "wow, no way it is this easy" but it was. Literally plug stock harness in by the lamp, other three cables to ballast and away you go. Plenty of room under the hood to work too. Glad I saw here that you don't need to use the relay - which, by the way, why don't we?

4300k Phillips HID

This turned out great! Enjoy the lights :)

As for the relay harness, your vehicle doesn't need them because it doesn't have any CANbus system or "light out" indicators. Additionally, it's not needed since the HID system is 35W and your halogen bulbs are 55w so the HID lights are more efficient.

Danny