LegacyGT.com

HID install - XenonDepot Philips 4300k

Can we put 55 watts on the low beam? Heared something like if i put 55w it might melt the projector housinh? Is this true?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Depends where you live,but yes this is true. If you live in the south or Arizona for example, 55W in the summer could lead to that.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55W HID kits being sold by other vendors typically use a 50W ballast mated to a 35W bulb. The 50W ballast ends up overdriving the 35W bulb, which causes to burn hotter and will 100% cause the bulb to burn out prematurely -- which could be the least of your problems given that the bulb had been burning hotter may have damaged your headlights by now..

No vehicles that come with HID lights from the factory come with a 55W system -- only 35W.

buyer beware.

Steve

• 1 month later...

HAs anyone installed an HID kit on an earlier model? I have an '08 and just got a kit. Was wondering if I have to drill the dust cap to do the install or if there's a way to wire through without drilling.

If I do need to drill the dustcap, what size drill bit do I need to use?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HAs anyone installed an HID kit on an earlier model? I have an '08 and just got a kit. Was wondering if I have to drill the dust cap to do the install or if there's a way to wire through without drilling.

If I do need to drill the dustcap, what size drill bit do I need to use?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just from what I've read the rubber grommet on the bulb wires fits in a 7/8" hole. I'd poke around the 4th gen forum and see what you can find.

I did a bi-xenon retrofit on a friend's car, we just poked holes in the rubber caps to run the wires thru.

Good luck with your install!

Just from what I've read the rubber grommet on the bulb wires fits in a 7/8" hole. I'd poke around the 4th gen forum and see what you can find.

I did a bi-xenon retrofit on a friend's car, we just poked holes in the rubber caps to run the wires thru.

Good luck with your install!

Thanks for the info. I searched HID Installs and this was the best that came up even with the 4th generation. But I'll keep looking and see what I can find. I'd rather not drill the dust caps, but if it's the only way to install then I can and will.

Quick question to clarify, no need for ballast and extra wiring for this HID kit? Just straight plug and play with stock wiring and HID bulb?

You're going to use the ballast, just not the relay. So plug your original low beam power source into the ballast, and your HID bulb into that and enjoy!

• 1 month later...
Also to clarify, everyone here is ordering the 4300k PHILLIPS bulb right?

DanG,

I have my finger on the trigger to purchase but have read just like you and other's...The DRL add -on I understand we may Not need it after all! Some say you can order with out the $18.00 add on and the Lights will not flicker? My Question is If I order with and It's not needed can I return...or should I just order without and get it later??

I just don't understand this +$45 for Phillips bulb... And some info that is being posted on here. So I was swaying between this kit Vs Morimoto's h11hid kit. So I gave TRS an email....

"Hello Dan,

Thanks for the email! We wouldn't recommend ever installing an HID system without the appropriate wiring harness. Working or not, that's not the correct way to install equipment like this. I cannot speak on intensity differences when comparing other brands to Morimoto, but I can say that those aren't likely Philips bulbs you're referring to. Philips is an OEM bulb supplier and provides factory HID vehicles with their bulbs. They don't actually manufacture any aftermarket, rebased halogen bulbs. At best, those bulbs may use the same piece of glass that Philips uses, but Philips didn't make that bulb.

That being said I do have an example of our kit compared to another popular one on the market that a customer provided a couple of weeks ago, see attached.

I would anticipate the quality of the Morimoto to be considerably higher than any other equipment though.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with!

Zach @ TRS"

@DanG_Legacy:

(1) Xtreme ballast are low-draw, and can safely be powered directly from the OEM headlight wiring (They only draw 4.5A on a cold start). It looks like the response you received was a generic response, which indicates that you would most likely need to use a relay harness with their product. I know that TRS had some SERIOUS cold-start issues with their ballasts (which a relay harness would have solved), but that is limited to the design/quality of their product. I don't know if their problems have been resolved, but their "blanket" statement DOES NOT apply to our product when it comes to your Subaru.

(2) Philips bulbs - I had this exact issue come up on a different forum. Please view this thread for your piece of mind that you are in fact getting genuine Philips bulbs:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/79246-comprehensive-review-xenondepot-4300k-hid-kit-2003-limited-v8-4wd-5.html

In short, don't fall for gimmicky marketing fluff.

Steve