LegacyGT.com

HID install - XenonDepot Philips 4300k

regarding color temp, here's a thread that explains how 5000k and below is best: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?206640-Colour-temperature-in-HID-lamps

Also, there is a reason that our eyes actually are able to use a warmer light better than cool lights, but I cannot find the source I read so you can take my word for it or not.

has anyone tried the XD HID high beam kit? do they dim for DRL (can HIDs dim?)? would the color stay constant?

Edited by aotus

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DanG_Legacy - This is a pretty good thread showing the differences:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/692009-xenondepot-xtreme-hid-kit-review-5000k-4300k.html

@DA_MAXX - Thank you for the feedback! I hope you're doing well!!

Steve

Perfect, exactly what I needed to know! I'm glad I made the correct choice. Next stop would be the H11 LEDs... :cool:

i installed the 4300 kit in my 2016 today. The lights look nice, once they warm up. For about 30 seconds the light is blueish. Also, the ballast makes a slight buzz that I don't care for. I only notice when the hood is open and the engine is off.

That's because they are "pre-aimed" by Subaru to illuminate corners as you turn. Apparently they thought they could slip that by and make them blink on when turning and call it "steering responsive" and we'd all be fooled into thinking they actually move like in higher end cars...well, I guess it worked, because even the tech guy at my dealer was thinking that it meant they move, until I clarified for him. :eye roll:

That's because they are "pre-aimed" by Subaru to illuminate corners as you turn. Apparently they thought they could slip that by and make them blink on when turning and call it "steering responsive" and we'd all be fooled into thinking they actually move like in higher end cars...well, I guess it worked, because even the tech guy at my dealer was thinking that it meant they move, until I clarified for him. :eye roll:

Steering response, one fog light illuminates the corner as you turn. You would think both fogs on would provide more illumination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They marketed this quite well also... When I was thinking about purchasing mine, one of the videos said 'fog lights that follow the road as you travel' when it should have said 'turn your wheel more than 20 degrees and they pop on, even on slight turns, making people think you have a fog light out! But don't worry, they're not really fog lights, they really just light up that patch of gravel you can barely see in front of the car anyways!'

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I installed my Philips 4300K conversion kit today. Thank you to everyone who has shared their knowledge on this thread, it made installation a breeze and I was finished in about 10 minutes! They are hellaciously bright! :)

Steve - I'll be buying more from you in the future. Great product!

Well I just got done replacing my LED low beams with the XenonDepot HID kit. For the most part it was easy with a couple of small issues the folks at XenonDepot help out with. First I tried to plug the wrong connector into the cars wiring headlight connector. Pins had different spacing so they did not fit. Must be a common call since the tech on the other end quickly set me straight. I also had to switch pins on one of the connectors and it took me a while to get the locking pins to release. Anyway the lights are working and I have not headed onto the roads at night to see how many people flash their high beams at me. Since I do not trust the double sided tape I used extra tie wraps that I had to lock the modules tightly to the frame.

Price for an 06 2.5i sedan?

Click the link Steve has posted everywhere. A XD Xtreme HID kit for your car is on sale for $154.99. 4300K Philips bulbs are extra ($45.00 USD), but they are worth every penny.

• 6 months later...
I am looking to upgrade of hids but I hear it's good to do the drl disable but can't seem to find how to disable them. Sorry if I sound like a noob but I'm new to the Subaru world

DRL disable is unnecessary as our low and high beams are separate bulbs. Unless you're planning to put HIDs in the high beams, which pretty much everyone recommends against doing due to repeated on-off being hard on them.

I am looking to upgrade of hids but I hear it's good to do the drl disable ...

Disregarding the issue of legality, if you're planning to replace the OE halogen high beam lamps with HIDs ... don't!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png