LegacyGT.com

HID install - XenonDepot Philips 4300k

I got these high beam replacements a week ago or so; they're fantastic, match the 4300k HIDs perfectly and put out very even light that shouldn't be blinding during the daytime as DRLs. Amazon.com: Car Rover 30W Cree Chips 2S LED Headlight Super Bright 3600LM 4300K Headlamp - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - 9005(H10/HB3): Automotive

How's the fitment of these? They seem to get negative reviews on Amazon by other users with different vehicles... Are these "passive" cooling LED's?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly suggest you only buy LED bulbs from Xenon depot. Steve takes great care of his customers and his products are second to none. Quality and warranty are first rate!

edit: I responded to the wrong thread. I was just curious why XD only sells the LED's for the HB in 6000k. It would make sense for them to sell 4300k as well right?

Edited by Cali2Colo

How's the fitment of these? They seem to get negative reviews on Amazon by other users with different vehicles... Are these "passive" cooling LED's?

Fitment is great. You may have to loosen your battery and move it back to get the driver's side in but once its in all is well. I was a little worried with reading the reviews, but they've been great for me.

Only thing that bothered me is they were a little loose in the adapter (the aluminum bulbs twist lock into a plastic adapter which locks into the bulb socket) but a wrap with electrical tape solved that. (See attached) Wouldn't be an issue, but it bothered me:p I'd give them 4.5/5

And yes they are passive cooling, no fans. Also no ballast/driver/whatever you want to call them boxes to mount either which is nice.

They were the only ones I could find in 4300k that didn't have colored plastic tubes you put over the bulb to make them that color. IMO that's just stupid.

4300k (Left) is much better for visibility than 6000k (Right). I had all my lights with 6000k, which looks cooler and was really bright but couldn't see a thing in fog and didn't illuminate the road well. Road signs and objects really stood out but the road itself, and therefore wet or icy patches, were impossible to see. That's why I switched to the Philips 4300k HID and the 4300k LEDs.

iKLYdof.thumb.jpg.a32a2689ba520a6ec019bad359a6481d.jpg

vDiT1hq.thumb.jpg.9d95cb3010807ab7f38144c82a3f7812.jpg

wkjbl3D.thumb.jpg.25409be26a47848e3f4bb5afe4c07677.jpg

They were the only ones I could find in 4300k that didn't have colored plastic tubes you put over the bulb to make them that color. IMO that's just stupid.

4300k (Left) is much better for visibility than 6000k (Right). I had all my lights with 6000k, which looks cooler and was really bright but couldn't see a thing in fog and didn't illuminate the road well. Road signs and objects really stood out but the road itself, and therefore wet or icy patches, were impossible to see. That's why I switched to the Philips 4300k HID and the 4300k LEDs.

I totally agree! After switching from my 6000k LED's to the Philips 4300k Philips HID's myself, I am much more impressed with the light output as well. With the first big Colorado snowstorm we had a while ago, I noticed that when I drove home, not only was it just blinding light reflecting off of the snow with the LED's, but also there was no snow melting off, and I had to rely on my fog lights to make it safely home (without stopping every 2-3 minutes to clear the snow off the headlights). This made it a no brainer that I needed to switch to something else.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of the 6000k LED's, and during the dry conditions they worked well, but after having the 4300k HID's in for about a month now, I won't switch back. Safety is the biggest reason I bought my Legacy to begin with, and if I'm going to have my wife and 3 year old son in the car, I want to make sure that it's the safest it can possibly be for my family. I have no problem bypassing the cool look of the previous lights for something that will light up the road and help me see everything that's out there.

I have very little car knowledge, so I just want to confirm that I do need the CANbus for installing the HID right?

Nope, you do not. Our cars don't have bulb-out warnings like Chrysler and some German manufacturers have.

Newbie to this forum, but not a newbie with modding. Just wanted to throw a comment and feedbck out about XD...

If this is the same Xenondepot in Illinois that's been around over 10 years, I think you made a great choice.

I say this because I bought a Phillips retro 4300k kit from them well over 10 years ago for my 2005 Evo 8 GSR, and to this day NO ISSUES...I still have not replaced one single HID bub or ballast (knock on wood).

Upgraded my stock halogens 2 weeks after I bought my car new in Nov 2004...

Was very surprised to see their name around the boards...

Good to see they are doing well and still leading the way with quality HID retro kits...

We have a 3.6r now, but if I were to get a retro kit...I'd for sure go with XD.

Some pics...you can see the older ballasts mounted near inner fenders....they've literally been sitting there over 10 years....lol

Just thought I could share something relevant to this post...

(Btw, not being paid to post this...lol)....

FB_IMG_1451822026294.thumb.jpg.922123368b3320236365d00750591750.jpg

FB_IMG_1451822141376.jpg.0dd90b5c34656094a67e470f43f0292e.jpg

Newbie to this forum, but not a newbie with modding. Just wanted to throw a comment and feedbck out about XD...

If this is the same Xenondepot in Illinois that's been around over 10 years, I think you made a great choice.

I say this because I bought a Phillips retro 4300k kit from them well over 10 years ago for my 2005 Evo 8 GSR, and to this day NO ISSUES...I still have not replaced one single HID bub or ballast (knock on wood).

Upgraded my stock halogens 2 weeks after I bought my car new in Nov 2004...

Was very surprised to see their name around the boards...

Good to see they are doing well and still leading the way with quality HID retro kits...

We have a 3.6r now, but if I were to get a retro kit...I'd for sure go with XD.

Some pics...you can see the older ballasts mounted near inner fenders....they've literally been sitting there over 10 years....lol

Just thought I could share something relevant to this post...

(Btw, not being paid to post this...lol)....

Good! that means it time you need a new pair of bulbs! All OEM bulbs are rated for 2000hrs life, if you go beyond that it just become dimmer. Good bulbs never goes out it just get dimmer. So replacing your bulbs you'll get that brightness again.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

@1692 - lol sorry. Glad you're enjoying the kit.

@wicked05 - Thank you for taking the time to post up this feedback -- very much appreciated; We have been the only XenonDepot around since 2001 (trademark). All you would need to do is get new bulbs if you wanted to use the same ballasts :)

Steve

@1692 - lol sorry. Glad you're enjoying the kit.

@wicked05 - Thank you for taking the time to post up this feedback -- very much appreciated; We have been the only XenonDepot around since 2001 (trademark). All you would need to do is get new bulbs if you wanted to use the same ballasts :)

Steve

Thank you Steve. That's why I thought. I'm good for now for Evo.... not broken yet...lol...but will do when time comes.

I may look into LED kit for 3.6r fogs soon.

Yesterday I installed my HID Kit, per suggestions above I did not connect it to the battery directly, and simply used the existing headlight plug. It was really as easy and the most I've done under the hood is add wiper fluid. ( I did discover where the engine coolant goes, and noticed it was at or a little below the low level - so think I'll have to address that later this week) . Lights are a FANTASTIC improvement over the halogens.

Mounting the ballasts was easy as there is the frame that extends over the wheel well is almost the same width. (maybe a fire hazard in a front end collision?? idk)

** Although I wasn't sure what to do with the ?relay? box, so I just kind of tucked it off to the side. **( I don't think it will be a problem, unless I get hit in the front, but at that point I'd imagine the whole thing will need replacing anyways.

Notes: I did the passenger side first because the space wasn't as cramped and it took me a few tries to turn the bulb into the socket the first time... wires, trying not to touch the bulb, or bump it off the housing...etc. The driver side was a little more cramped for hand space. 3M tape worked like a charm, but we'll see what happens when it gets below 0.

I'd recommend this upgrade to anyone, its super easy, took maybe 20 mins, and I still have ten fingers.

DOJ, just as an FYI, you can remove the relay boxes and cables and just use the bulb, ballast and jumper. The relay boxes should not even be in the engine bay. happy to help you if you want to PM me. As long as you used/installed the 3M tape above 65-70 degrees, it will be fine below zero.

@DOJT19 - Thank you for the feedback. If you did not use the supplied relay harness, I'm assuming that you meant "ignitor" instead of relay (the one you tucked off to the side). I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the XenonDepot H11 HID kit, and more importantly are still in possession of all 10 fingers :)

@securityguy - Thank you for your support and assistance -- as always.

Steve

DOJ, just as an FYI, you can remove the relay boxes and cables and just use the bulb, ballast and jumper. The relay boxes should not even be in the engine bay. happy to help you if you want to PM me. As long as you used/installed the 3M tape above 65-70 degrees, it will be fine below zero.

So... I live in Colorado and was going to do this mod. You have me a little worried about the 65-70 degrees comment.

Should I wait until spring/summer to do the install?

You just need to understand that the 3M tape that comes with the HID ballasts, as well as all automotive type tape, should be at >65 degrees F when applying. Tape does not stick well to cold surfaces and it will come loose or completely fall off its mounting location if not applied properly. You can always temporarily wire tie the ballasts to locations inside the engine compartment until the weather warms up and you can use the tape to install them in their final resting place.

You just need to understand that the 3M tape that comes with the HID ballasts, as well as all automotive type tape, should be at >65 degrees F when applying. Tape does not stick well to cold surfaces and it will come loose or completely fall off its mounting location if not applied properly. You can always temporarily wire tie the ballasts to locations inside the engine compartment until the weather warms up and you can use the tape to install them in their final resting place.

I think I'll just wait a couple months then do the install. Not worth it to f*** with it twice. Would rather do it right the first time. Haha