LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're really suggesting he buy more stuff from Nameless IN THIS THREAD?!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just to reset context here, the only part we have concerns about is the downpipe. To keep up with the song analogy, every artist has a song that could be better. I've yet to see anyone complain about their other parts, like their axle-backs.

Edited by Ellesedil

Just to reset context here, the only part we have concerns about is the downpipe. To keep up with the song analogy, every artist has a song that could be better. I've yet to see anyone complain about their other parts, like their axle-backs.

My double walled tips on my axlebacks have cracked 2x. Repaired by them the first time under warranty, and they are cracking again. This is common. And a complaint.

My double walled tips on my axlebacks have cracked 2x. Repaired by them the first time under warranty, and they are cracking again. This is common. And a complaint.

That... is actually something I haven't seen anyone post on here. Perhaps I simply wasn't paying attention, and sounds like it could be a reason they moved to the single-walled design.

I thought it was the product and the poor customer service in resolving the issue?

It seems that people are happy with their handling of the situation. My bad.

Edit: (Actually I could share the poor customer service experience my wife had when she bought their bpv for my birthday last year if you'd like another example).

Edited by Starks

I thought it was the product and the poor customer service in resolving the issue?

It seems that people are happy with their handling of the situation. My bad.

Edit: (Actually I could share the poor customer service experience my wife had when she bought their bpv for my birthday last year if you'd like another example).

You mean the one that's not compatible with their downpipe? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup! That one!! [emoji58]

I got one of those too. I used the credit they gave us for forgetting to install the wideband bung. Should've been a sign of things to come.

I think we can agree that contacting Nameless or constantly putting them down is getting us nowhere other than allowing us to vent our frustrations.

Agreed. Misery loves company lol. A guys gotta have somewhere to vent. Def can't vent to the wife about this one.

Given that Nameless does very little in the LGT market, continued complaining here isn't much motivation to fix this. But if for example this story got onto other forums with say, more WRX and Toybaru owners, that might change things up. Just sayin'
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Given that Nameless does very little in the LGT market, continued complaining here isn't much motivation to fix this. But if for example this story got onto other forums with say, more WRX and Toybaru owners, that might change things up. Just sayin'
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^except that the only forums that give a fart in the wind about us is this one. The wrx communities probably have thousands upon thousands of positive experiences with Nameless, we have a handful with a true negative experience (only counting those who installed and had an issue). Not even enough to bring down an eBay rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

^except that the only forums that give a fart in the wind about us is this one. The wrx communities probably have thousands upon thousands of positive experiences with Nameless, we have a handful with a true negative experience (only counting those who installed and had an issue). Not even enough to bring down an eBay rating.

That depends on how persistent you are. The steady dripping of water etc.

Personally I'd have gone down there months ago and stuck that dump pipe up some Nameless employee's ass by now, flange first.

That depends on how persistent you are. The steady dripping of water etc.

Personally I'd have gone down there months ago and stuck that dump pipe up some Nameless employee's ass by now, flange first.

It's not that simple, not every install has resulted in overboost. So far it seems to be the full turbo back with aftermarket bpv and otherwise stock turbo which is resulting in boost creep.

I had the same problem with a high flow DP installed. So, i'm not a mechanic, but is it possible that the problem is with the exhaust housing of the turbo not being able to handle extreme amounts of flow more than it is a poorly designed product for Nameless?

Far as I can tell (having done zero research or testing of my own), that's exactly what's going on. Most of the displeasure stems from the fact that Nameless claimed that there wouldn't be any boost control issues with their downpipe, as well as their lack of transparency and/or responsiveness.

Yeah, that's fair. Would have been hard for Nameless to foresee an issue if they don't have much experience with Gen V's - But shitty service is shitty service i guess.

Sorry, but experience is exactly what R&D gets you. If you are sloppy and only test on one car, or one hardware configuration, it's very easy to make mistakes like this. To compound this sloppiness with big claims on solving known issues with this car is pretty stupid. The lack of follow up after the fact is simply appalling.

On top of things, there still could be a design issue when you start scaling up with additional parts. An open flapper is still going to be in the way of the wastegate dump tube. But we don't know for sure yet since we don't have anyone who has properly ported the turbo to make the wastegate more efficient while running an aftermarket BPV.

Sorry, but experience is exactly what R&D gets you. If you are sloppy and only test on one car, or one hardware configuration, it's very easy to make mistakes like this. To compound this sloppiness with big claims on solving known issues with this car is pretty stupid. The lack of follow up after the fact is simply appalling.

R&D - Fair point. You're not wrong.

On top of things, there still could be a design issue when you start scaling up with additional parts. An open flapper is still going to be in the way of the wastegate dump tube. But we don't know for sure yet since we don't have anyone who has properly ported the turbo to make the wastegate more efficient while running an aftermarket BPV.

Excuse my ignorance for a moment - BPV and BOV are the same thing yeah? Because i have done the port on the turbo and i run a Turbosmart BOV.

Or are you saying that no one using this DP specifically has done it?

Sorry, but no. They promised a solution to boost creep with this part and this part alone. I don't recall any provisos about which BPV was installed or exhaust or that it had to be in conjunction with a ported exhaust housing. But hey, my memory isn't what is was eh?

At the risk of sounding like I'm making more unfulfillable promises I will reveal something I have in the works. A customer has ordered an 18G hybrid turbo with a ported wastegate so I can hopefully make a video tutorial on that. Okay, that wasn't really exciting.

We are also working with our turbo builder to source a larger wastegate flapper to test. If the larger flapper fits I'll be hogging the port out to match. This might be more the permanent solution to the problem. It might also make the flapper more likely to foul the dump pipe and/or easier for the exhaust gas to push open.

Another idea that occurs to me is a spacer the shape of the turbine housing to space the dump pipe away from the turbo a few mm. Might give the gas more room to escape around the flapper. Cheap and easy to test...