LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

I am assuming that is a matter of adjusting the duty cycle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

If the effective spring leverage is reduce too much the wastegate puck will stay open longer or may not be able to even not close at high boost levels. If the wastegate does not have the ability to close with the boost taper that 5th Gen LGT see, the high rpm boost levels might be actually lower and one might not be able to adjust it higher without an actuator with a stiffer spring. When you starting porting the turbo housing this can also affect it as well.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ideally it looks like you need to move the flapper arm more close to the actuator. From the video you posted it looks as though the flapper arm damn near hits the exhaust housing. Then you would need an actuator with longer throw and a shorter arm. It is a lot of trouble to go through, at least until we have done some actual flow tests to see if any of this is worth doing.

Shooting from the hip here...

But what about cutting the outside lever, adjusting the angle slightly further away from the housing (so it has more throw), then using an adjustable wga to adjust preload tension and angle to counter the potential reduction in slower spool?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What we need is a member with uncontrolled over boost to try porting the wastegate and see what the results are. A few degrees more opening might* help but IMO I don't think it's hurting much if any.

What we need is a member with uncontrolled over boost to try porting the wastegate and see what the results are. A few degrees more opening might* help but IMO I don't think it's hurting much if any.

Looks like they could take more material here, right?

IMG_0971.thumb.JPG.9ba627231234aa2027e6aee6acd4457d.JPG

Edited by Ellesedil

It could definitely be smoothed out especially the leading edge of the wastegate to help the gases make that turn. Otherwise it is pretty hard to compare to Mcg video but it looks like it could use some more work. Hopefully Fahr-side will chime in, he has the experience here.

Looks like they could take more material here, right?

Yes, the upstream side can be hogged out much further and the downstream side should not be touched at all.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

If the effective spring leverage is reduce too much the wastegate puck will stay open longer or may not be able to even not close at high boost levels.

Agree the flapper may be blown open during spool and perhaps at high rpm.

If the wastegate does not have the ability to close with the boost taper that 5th Gen LGT see, the high rpm boost levels might be actually lower and one might not be able to adjust it higher without an actuator with a stiffer spring. When you starting porting the turbo housing this can also affect it as well.

Yes, but the problem here is that the cars are running past the desired boost target at zero WGDC so the flapper is already as far open as it will go at this point.

I would approach the issue by first porting the wastegate and then trying to get an actuator with longer travel. I personally wouldn't try modifying the flapper arm. Failing that I'd put the stock cans back on. I'd suggest using a restrictor plate in the midpipe if you can't bear to put quieter cans on.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yes, the upstream side can be hogged out much further and the downstream side should not be touched at all.

So, I've yet to really play with turbos myself, but it sounds like you're saying they may have taken material from the wrong side of the wastegate?

So, I've yet to really play with turbos myself, but it sounds like you're saying they may have taken material from the wrong side of the wastegate?

Well, I wasn't going to go criticize the work like that but okay. He's removed very little from the area immediately upstream of the wastegate itself. He's smoothed off the downstream side which I explained earlier just helps gas pass by the wastegate and head into the turbine, which is counterproductive. Then he's gone and cleaned up or polished the area about 90* to the wastegate port which will make no difference whatsoever. So yeah, not a good example of how to port a wastegate.

This is all a big learning process for me, so I can understand things better. I appreciate the info.

I think this whole thing has been a learning process for everyone involved even Nameless and English, which is probably one of the more positive outcomes of the situation. Starting to think I sound like a broken record at this point but it just sucks that we all thought we were buying a finished product but instead we're essentially beta testing it. At least we all definitely learned that you can't believe everything you read on the internet :lol:

So, I asked and received a log from English of my latest run.

As a result of the work they did on my turbo, they actually added about 1 PSI of boost. You can see it here in the log: 21.4 PSI @ 4329 RPM. The dyno is showing peek power and torque at 287/341. The car has 92 octane gas in it.

2012 LGT Nameless Stg 1+ECU Mapping_170223140508.csv

Edited by Ellesedil

I think this whole thing has been a learning process for everyone involved even Nameless and English, which is probably one of the more positive outcomes of the situation. Starting to think I sound like a broken record at this point but it just sucks that we all thought we were buying a finished product but instead we're essentially beta testing it. At least we all definitely learned that you can't believe everything you read on the internet :lol:

I agree I feel like they didn't do any r&d on the product and now we are forced to spend even more money to make it work. I personally don't want to run my car at 20psi and I don't want to install my old leaky bpv back on the car and overwork the turbo and create more heat not to mention I already purchased and installed their bpv. I also agree with what gteaser said about not making power sooner because they are compensating for too much boost early on. I had plans to buy their axle back for my car but I don't feel like they deserve more of my money at this point and will be looking somewhere else for an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...so the cliff notes of this seems like port the stock turbo/wastegate and add the mods to support >= 20psi (keeping the oem bpv seems like a non starter imo) if not just as a preventive measure.

Well, I'm not sure I'd call my wastegate "ported" at this point. I'm still hoping some proper porting will help. They didn't really remove too much material, despite rounding the far edge of the wastegate.

So, I asked and received a log from English of my latest run.

As a result of the work they did on my turbo, they actually added about 1 PSI of boost. You can see it here in the log: 21.4 PSI @ 4329 RPM. The dyno is showing peek power and torque at 287/341. The car has 92 octane gas in it.

That's not a good log mate. WGDC at zero the whole way to redline? Boost target zero? Either the log is messed up or data has been... edited. And sorry, but that is not what I'd call a good porting job either.

Edited by fahr_side

From February 13th...

As Ryan already announced we will be at English Thursday doing some back to back tests with the down pipe. We have had some stupid crazy weather here that has put this on the back burner(tons of snow which is normal) and also English now finally can save the logs so we can actually show you data when we do the test.

Basic game plan. Ryan will drop his car off and it goes straight on the dyno. Do a few pulls then log. Pull the car off get it on a lift and swap the down pipe to the new one then right back onto the dyno for more pulls. Record those logs then compare the two and graph them together then show and tell.

So stay tuned boys!

From February 17th...

Will have some news for you guys later today when I get back in the office and have the logs. I must say these motors can make some POWER!

Today is February 24th and still no data, just anecdotal circumstance.

We got a couple weird looking dyno graphs comparing the old tune on the old downpipe and a new tune with the new downpipe, but no logs showing data with the old downpipe and that same tune with data generated by the new downpipe. That's the apples to apples we need.

Edited by GTEASER

That's not a good log mate. WGDC at zero the whole way to redline? Boost target zero? Either the log is messed up or data has been... edited. And sorry, but that is not what I'd call a good porting job either.

yea WTF?