LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

I like the jolt of full boost power at 3000-3500 rpms. Maybe this Stage2 thing is not for me. That's another dyno graph with peak torque after 4000.

It's been mentioned plenty before, but it bears repeating, a downpipe nets you a bit more HP and not much else. I don't know if it's the stock bpv or just the way the tune is set up, but my car "felt" stronger on the stage 1 ots tune. It's just hard to wrap my head around going back to stock at this point...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the jolt of full boost power at 3000-3500 rpms. Maybe this Stage2 thing is not for me. That's another dyno graph with peak torque after 4000.

after reading most of what everyone has posted, staying at stg1 makes more sense for me. At least until I go full-fredrick and get a fully built motor and STi tranny swap:lol:

Islandborn's Stage 1 to Stage 2 dyno. Stage 2 is RacerX TMIC, AVO DP and Invidia CBE.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4266898&postcount=233

Another look at the 3000-3500 torque

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4267007&postcount=237

Why are these Nameless DP tunes not producing massive boost and torque at 3000-3500 rpms? Is it because in order to control it (read: stop it from overboosting), spool boost has to be bled off at a high rate with the initial spool, leaving mucho powah on the table?

Man, that sounds like a headache but I bet you're glad it's over and resolved.

Are you planning on doing anymore HP mods in the future or is this the end of it?

If you could get your hands on another hotside to correct the port would you go that far?

Any ideas as to why the English tune feels less torque in the lower rpms than the ots?

So... it's not quite over. One of my skidplates is hitting something now. I suspect the mid plate might be hitting the exhaust, since the exhaust is quite a bit larger now. I won't know for sure until I can get under there and actually look around. I couldn't tell from looking under off to the side.

I don't really have any next plans right now. There's things I'd like to do... but I don't have a realistic plan for that right now.

As for the turbo porting, I don't know if my current housing is a lost cause. I was really hoping to see if a proper porting would help with the overboosting with an aftermarket BPV, so I'm disappointed I wasn't able to definitively answer that question. It's entirely likely it would have only made a small difference and I'd still have to resort to the OEM BPV. If I were to consider spending money on replacing the housing... I'd probably also be considering what to do to get into an 18g turbo instead.

I can't really speak as to why the tuner tuned the car the way, but someone who does tune might be able to speak to that.

So, the total holyshitthisisdifferentandreallyloudandeverythingisnewtome-ness has worn off a bit, but it's still plenty new enough for me to still get used to things. I will say this, based on my morning commute: when the power hits, it hits pretty hard. But... in normal every-day driving, the only real chance I have of hitting peak boost with my current tune is if I'm by myself on a highway on-ramp.

Ellesedil, my midplate was hitting the exhaust hanger. Check that spot by the cutout area on the back left of the midplate where it bends up. Sounded like I had an EWG with the way it was knocking when I was at WOT.

Yeah, I was hitting that too with the stock exhaust. I resolved that a while ago. This is a new thing. It could be that the exhaust brace on the Nameless exhaust is a bit different (larger) than the OEM one. Or... it could be hitting somewhere else. I won't know until I can get under there and bang on the plate a bit to see what it's hitting.

Islandborn's Stage 1 to Stage 2 dyno. Stage 2 is RacerX TMIC, AVO DP and Invidia CBE.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4266898&postcount=233

Another look at the 3000-3500 torque

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4267007&postcount=237

Why are these Nameless DP tunes not producing massive boost and torque at 3000-3500 rpms? Is it because in order to control it (read: stop it from overboosting), spool boost has to be bled off at a high rate with the initial spool, leaving mucho powah on the table?

I'm definitely wondering if the boost control issue is affecting lower end torque with the use of this dp. Like are tuners opening the waste gate sooner to bleed boost off before it goes out of control.

I mean, spool time should be the same regardless right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My torque peak is between 3.5k and 4k, I have a couple new logs to look at and plug in to VD but I can't say I expect to see much difference. But really you should look at the area under the torque curve not just where it peaks. I'm not saying it's better but that should be where the change is most noticeable.

We still have not seen logs from Nameless showing WGDC, etc.

Don't think we ever will. Nameless has clearly shown us that they could care less about helping address the issue. They took our money and ran. Lesson learned. I'll never buy another Nameless product again. And if anyone ever tells me they are interested in any Nameless (insert product here), they will get sent to this thread.

Anyone notice how...they still haven't put the DP back up on their site for sale even after their "test"?

I think way too much of this thread was about the differences in the two DPs and that is where it turned, Nameless has proven their was nothing abnormal the GB one. So in their eyes case closed as far as I can tell.

I ran a couple logs, I have to ask if anyone can tell me what exactly the smoothing does in VD. I am trying to figure out a significant power drop from my logs a couple months ago to now.

I think way too much of this thread was about the differences in the two DPs and that is where it turned, Nameless has proven their was nothing abnormal the GB one. So in their eyes case closed as far as I can tell.

Honestly, I kind of agree with this, despite my experience. The exhaust is doing what it was advertised to do and nothing more. It has a potential problem with aftermarket BPVs, but only if you can't handle the boost that it builds up as a result. I think the only person that really went with a more extensive build with a Nameless downpipe was Swannee225, right? Did he ever upgrade his BPV?

The good thing to come out of all of this is that the advice on installing BPV's changed from "sure, go ahead, it doesn't change anything" to "wait, they are actually engineered boost leaks and your tune should account for it."

The issue I see in my logs when I load them in VD without smoothing is the power fluctuates pretty badly, which kind of makes sense to how the car feels. but I don't understand how the boost is consistent and so are the AFR and MAF readings. If it was passing that much compressed air through the BPV wouldn't it show in the way of reduced airflow at the MAF or something?

Here are the graphs and the datalog, if anyone sees something please point it out to me.

145643413_3-8-17log2smoothing0.thumb.jpg.65d17fdc87fb97727a9af7073f123a22.jpg

11485650_3-8-17log2.thumb.jpg.856d21a521accbca145d4ee11da955e8.jpg

datalog2.csv

Edited by FLlegacy

The issue I see in my logs when I load them in VD without smoothing is the power fluctuates pretty badly, which kind of makes sense to how the car feels. but I don't understand how the boost is consistent and so are the AFR and MAF readings. If it was passing that much compressed air through the BPV wouldn't it show in the way of reduced airflow at the MAF or something?

Here are the graphs and the datalog, if anyone sees something please point it out to me.

The only thing I noticed is that boost isn't actually consistent in a more strict sense. It fluctuates about 1 PSI. At 0.574 seconds, it's 19.67. At 2.05 seconds, it's 18.69. At 2.435 seconds, it's 19.75. Then it starts dropping back down. Couldn't tell you if it's an important distinction or not, but I noticed it and thought I'd point it out in case it's relevant.

I wonder how many members who purchased another brand downpipe had boost issues and if they had an aftermarket or oem bpv.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Start a Poll on the main page, but I recall reading about issues with the invidia and avo DP as well on some members cars. Whether they ran oem or aftermarket BPVs I don't know.

This issue is not specific to this downpipe, as I and others have already said but the oversold promise of no overboost became an issue for some, understandably so. However, it's hardly like we all have a worthless pile of crap part, its a very well made, high quality downpipe, it just so happens that it requires some modification to work as advertised, surprise!

Exactly. I'm kind of just curious since it pretty much is no different than any other dp that is on the market. We all paid a premium for something that obviously does not deliver without having to possibly spend a lot more for it to work. So far that premium seems to be really following the company's name because it's no different than running any generic DP.

Exactly. I'm kind of just curious since it pretty much is no different than any other dp that is on the market. We all paid a premium for something that obviously does not deliver without having to possibly spend a lot more for it to work. So far that premium seems to be really following the company's name because it's no different than running any generic DP.

Not exactly, you paid for a DP made with premium CAT, piping, and parts and that is what you got. The materials on our DP are not the same as that ebay special, and I would bet the workmanship isn't either. AVO and invidia both are not cheap either. $600 for the invidia set and nearly that just for the AVO catted J-pipe.

It sucks it isn't a bolt on affair like promised, sort of, but your speaking like its complete junk, and its not.

I wonder how many members who purchased another brand downpipe had boost issues and if they had an aftermarket or oem bpv.

I have an Nvidia Catted downpipe and would see peak boost around 15.5lbs with stock BPV and 16.2 with a GFB BOV. No overboosting issues with this setup. Thinking maybe if it was a catless, but that the HFC provides enough restriction to keep it at bay.

I'm not saying its not made with quality parts. The DP is gorgeous and all. But I haven't seen any complaints with any other branded dps in terms of craftsmanship. But just like you said, it doesn't work as promised. Which to me puts it in the same category as just another DP. And with premium I would also expect some premium customer service which I'm pretty sure everyone could agree with is has been horrible. If they had been active and contributing with this forum from the time peope started having issues, I beleive feelings might have been different. But instead they hid and were real shady about the whole situation. I'm pretty sure of this was GS or Perrin, they would been on the forums and actively trying to help find the problem/solution.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point but it just really gets me mad when I gave up a perfectly good nvidia DP that was creeping, which I got at a great price, and bought this to find out I would need to port or use my headers regardless. So that money could of been used to install everything by now. And I'm sure that the others that missed out on deals on other dps or or had to spend extra to get theres to work feel about as cheated as I do.

You were one of the lucky ones to not encounter the issue, but I'm pretty sure if you had, you would understand why some of us are feeling the way we feel.

I have an Nvidia Catted downpipe and would see peak boost around 15.5lbs with stock BPV and 16.2 with a GFB BOV. No overboosting issues with this setup. Thinking maybe if it was a catless, but that the HFC provides enough restriction to keep it at bay.

Are you running aftermarket or stock mufflers? Mind posting a 3rd gear pull so we can run it through virtual dyno?

Fwiw jojorios I'm also not running a full TBE, which helps immensely I'm sure, if I get an aftermarket bpv I'll report back, still kicking that idea around.