Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The worst part about this is that since the part is so troublesome we cant even sell it to anyone else in order to get some money back. So its either build the car around the DP or count the loss.

Maybe I'll make the most expensive mantle ornament I've ever owned, or cap the ends and make a really cool urn. Cause at this point both of those options are less of a headache than putting it on my car.

This is exactly where I've been throughout this whole mess since my living/financial situation changed and I decided to sell my LGT after I had placed the order for the DP and paid for it. Now I'm stuck with a brand new $600+ hunk of metal that I doubt I could even unload for half that.

This is exactly where I've been throughout this whole mess since my living/financial situation changed and I decided to sell my LGT after I had placed the order for the DP and paid for it. Now I'm stuck with a brand new $600+ hunk of metal that I doubt I could even unload for half that.

I'll bet you could. $300 for a nameless DP. Lol I paid more. It's not like porting the turbine housing is that much more work than swapping the dp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Edited by FLlegacy

Last week in my Fozz (stock TD04 turbo, stock DP, ambient temp 62*, Stage1 tune) I overboosted in 4th gear (4EAT) going up a hill. RPMs were sitting at about 2500 and I floored it to get around a slow moving car. Boost spiked at 17.8 when I noticed and backed off. The target boost of the tune is 16. It looked as though it would keep rising if I didn't back off.

Granted, this is probably not the uncontrollable boost creep problem in the 5th Gen GT with the Nameless DP, but it does show that given the right conditions, even stock Subaru's with tiny, standard fare turbos will creep.

Sell it to an unsuspecting vaping wrx bro.......hahaha

Edited by ChrisCrash
jk....dont do it.....karma....

The target boost of the tune is 16. It looked as though it would keep rising if I didn't back off.

It probably wouldn't. The stock wastegate on the TD04 is quite adequate. Even at stg2 you have to push WGDC very high indeed to push past about 11 or 12psi at redline.

even stock Subaru's with tiny, standard fare turbos will creep.

What if I told you the bigger turbos are less likely to show boost creep? More flow through a larger turbine usually means less wastegating is required, given that other parameters are the same. And remember the larger turbos usually have larger exhaust housings to match, which also helps.

I love older Fozzies. Put a VF-48 or VF-52 on one and it's door to door shit-eating grins. So many smiles per gallon :D

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That shouldn't be fine print, ;)

If some one wants to sell one I'm sure they could, but selling to an ignorant buyer seems funny. But could be more costly than the DP. No I didn't catch that edit until you pointed it out. No harm meant, but it's a really bad idea.

Edited by FLlegacy

So to the guys who used the stock mid pipe, how did you mate to the nameless intermediate pipe?

The OEM spring bolts won't fit in the intermediate holes, the bolts that come with the grimmspeed adapter are way too large for the DP holes and the bolts that come with the dp look too short. Not to mention that they have no give to them like the spring bolts.

What did you do?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by Starks

You use the nameless intermediate pipe and then put the cat back adapter on the mid pipe to intermediate pipe connection. Somewhere around the tail of the transmission if memory serves.

I was able to use the ones that came with the DP, just barely. I had to start them on by hand and then use a ratchet to tighten them on. I didn't use spring bolts and had no issues.

Much easier when bolting on the Q300. Flat flanges are easy.

You use the nameless intermediate pipe and then put the cat back adapter on the mid pipe to intermediate pipe connection. Somewhere around the tail of the transmission if memory serves.

Yeah, the intermediate pipe is on along with the adapter. Which set of bolts did you use? The OEM, nameless, or grimmspeed?

And what's up with the DP bolts. On the driver side there's enough room for the nut to thread all the way down but on the passenger side it won't thread all the way down because of clearance on the locking nut even if I flip the nut and bolt.

Edited by Starks

I used the larger bolts on the DP to intermediate connection. The intermediate to mid pipe I used the Grimm speed bolts I think. Either will work though.

I had one of the larger bolts facing forward and one facing back. It's not fun getting them tight but it's doable.

Okay cool. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I'm also installing the nameless bpv so we'll see how that goes as far as overboost. If it does I'll take it off and see if it persists.

Lastly, I took a short vid to verify that I am able to manipulate the flapper without interference. So any overboost encountered isn't an install issue. Not that nameless would care though...

^ sounds like the flapper still bangs on something, and remember everything in there expands a lot when hot.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.