LegacyGT.com

wife wants GT gone

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chuckzul is right. Trying to explain to your wife that you will save alot more money filling up the gas tank on the legacy than loosing 10K from trading in is a longshot. Maybe you should put it all down in math on paper. Calculate how many miles you driver per year. It will cost you about 300 bucks more per year to have the Legacy vs a Civic.

as it's been mentioned already, you can't argue the fact that that money you'd lose by trading in the car wouldn't come near the savings in gas you could potentially get.

thanks....didn't have to type it because you said it.

BUY A MOTORCYCLE!!

Chuckzul is right. Trying to explain to your wife that you will save alot more money filling up the gas tank on the legacy than loosing 10K from trading in is a longshot. Maybe you should put it all down in math on paper. Calculate how many miles you driver per year. It will cost you about 300 bucks more per year to have the Legacy vs a Civic.

Get a credit card with high gas rebate and then show her the credit card bill. Show her how much you saved on the bill and explain to her that the more gas you use the more you save. Voila, the car stays and she's happy knowing you're saving money.

wife wants me to get something more fuel efficient. had the consumer reports out and everything. not only does she hate the fact that it takes supreme, but she hates it's fuel economy.

This is not good. The fact that you're even considering caving is also not good. Tell her that it's not going to happen, and start picking apart her expenses.

I just don't understand this at all. Why does she feel she can dictate this decision to you? If you give in on this, you are setting a very bad precedent. Don't get me wrong; you should try to work it out in a reasonable, compromising manner, but the end result needs to be that you keep the car.

And, as many others have pointed out, give her a little economics lesson about the loss you take trading in a one-year-old car.

This "suggestion" of hers has power trip written all over it.

The price difference between premium and regular is minute. E.g. Price diff is always 20 cents, so lets say you do 25k miles a year @ 20 mpg, so that's 1250 gallons/year x 0.20 = $250/year for premium. W T F??!!

Now, how long is your daily commute? E.g. 50 miles round trip/day X 20 workdays = 1000 miles @ 20mpg = 50 gallons a month vs 1000 miles @ 35mpg(civic) = 29 gallons, at today's price of 3.00 for premium and 2.80 for regular, 50x3.00 = $150 vs 29x2.80= $81.2, for about a $70/month, $840/year diff.

For 100 miles roundtrip with everything else the same, 100(LGT @ 20mpg) vs 58(civic @ 35mpg) gallons for $300 vs $78.4. That's a $2652 diff/year.

1. Just do the math.

2. Weight in the fun-factor of driving the LGT vs savings for the future

3. Just do the math.

I keed I keeed

The price difference between premium and regular is minute. E.g. Price diff is always 20 cents, so lets say you do 25k miles a year @ 20 mpg, so that's 1250 gallons/year x 0.20 = $250/year for premium. W T F??!!

Now, how long is your daily commute? E.g. 50 miles round trip/day X 20 workdays = 1000 miles @ 20mpg = 50 gallons a month vs 1000 miles @ 35mpg(civic) = 29 gallons, at today's price of 3.00 for premium and 2.80 for regular, 50x3.00 = $150 vs 29x2.80= $81.2, for about a $70 diff a month for a 50 miles roundtrip commute.

For 100 miles roundtrip with everything else the same, 100(LGT @ 20mpg) vs 58(civic @ 35mpg) gallons for $300 vs $78.4. That's a $2652 diff/year.

you forgot to add time into that equation as well as fun factor(which is what makes the lgt so nice). hell if it comes down to it trade in the wife and keep the car. the new models of wifes come equiped with a no gag reflex as well as improved stamina, lower monthly payments. i hear the limited version comes with a mute button to use when the nagging starts.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Yeah the whole logic thing won't work. You defending your car by saying maybe you could go to Cost Cutters for a haircut instead of $75 a haircut salon and we can spend to savings on the fuel costs won't probably work. I would tell her how safe the legacy is and how great it is in the snow and how reliable it is and the mediocre mileage and need for the high test is small price to pay.

time spent driving. if you dont look foward to spending time driving the car then whats the point in driving it. i know personally i find any excuse i can to drive the lgt.

Oh, I guess that can be lumped in with the value of fun factor.

But yeah, I know what you're talking about. A few months ago, I would finish a whole tank of gas just driving in one day. :D

I keed I keeed

Speaking of haircuts, you can have her give up going to the hair stylist and getting her nails done.

I went from a car that gets 30-33 mpg to my LGT which I'm getting 24-25 mpg + premium gas. The difference it makes on my 150 mile daily commute is about $20/week.

As others had said, it's a TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) issue. Any other gas-powered non-hybrid vehicle in the same size range as the LGT is not going to get appreciably better mileage in town."Maybe" 30, most likely mid-upper 20s. The beating that you take on depreciation on the LGT will buy a LOT of gas.

For peformance/car enthusiasts, part of the TCO of our cars is the entertainment value. Having to drive soething you dislike because it's cheaper to run can be torture, IMHO.

Sounds like typical female financial thinking.....a $200 pair of shoes "on sale" for $100 is a better deal than a pair of shoes that looks the same and sells for $75 everyday!!

Try explaining entertainment value and how important it is to an enthusiast to a total no-enthusiast though. They just don't understand. It can be done, but generally, you have to tread very lightly and show that this is one of those things that is VERY important to you. Not so hard, right? Wrong. It's not something that is "rational".

:(

c-lo.....Tell me it ain't so!!! My wife has driven my car once in 6 months....Rode in the car def. less than a dozen times in that same period. Every time she does ride in it she bitches:lol::lol:

So you know what I do...make it more uncomfortable for her..coilovers are next.

Seriously your wife chose to have that smelly a## piece of Sh*t VW....You wanted the Leggy;) Drive her car on the weekends & yours during the week...thats what I do.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

c-lo.....Tell me it ain't so!!! My wife has driven my car once in 6 months....Rode in the car def. less than a dozen times in that same period. Every time she does ride in it she bitches:lol::lol:

So you know what I do...make it more uncomfortable for her..coilovers are next.

Seriously your wife chose to have that smelly a## piece of Sh*t VW....You wanted the Leggy;) Drive her car on the weekends & yours during the week...thats what I do.

That's exactly what we do.

Thank you all for your support. All points well taken. For those thinking I'm wearing the skirt, you are quite wrong. sorry if my posting mislead you. I have no intentions of getting rid of the car.

A motorcycle is definitely a possiblility, I've had one in the past. forgot about the finanical hit, will mention that tonight. To defend my wife, it's not a power trip. She's VERY $$$ conscious at times.

I am interested in the AP, I've seen threads on it before, would someone give me the link to it so I can learn more about it?

carlo

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived