LegacyGT.com

wife wants GT gone

The AP isn't the solution. Judicious use of your right foot is. Run the numbers.....how much do you spend in gas each month?? Instead of a motorcycle, you might be better off picking up a '90 Civic.....same cost and it might pay for itself in a few months at these current gas prices.

My fiancee was driving 110 miles roundtrip from Front Royal to Ashburn a few years back. She had a Dodge Durango R/T - about 14mpg on premium. I bought her a '92 Civic VX for $2K - it gets 50mpg. It paid for itself in 3 months...that was when gas was half the price it is now. It's safer than a bike too....at least you have some sheet metal and can ride it year round.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the "damage" is already done. You will take a $5000 depreciation hit as a quick guess if you sell it. However if you purchase a new car I am guessing unless you buy a little Civic you will only get an average of 27 MPG.

150,000 miles/21 MPG = 7150 gallons

150,000 miles/27 MPG = 5550 gallons

leaving a difference of ~1600 gallons

at todays prices ~$5000 in fuel.

So realistically I don't see the saving except perceived at the pump.

I love our LGT 5spd wagon, my wife test drove it on her own. I purchased it over the phone and my first ride was at delivery. She does not look back one day at her old Honda Civic which only got 29MPG average, our new LGT gets 23.7 MPG.

My fiancee was driving 110 miles roundtrip from Front Royal to Ashburn a few years back. She had a Dodge Durango R/T - about 14mpg on premium. I bought her a '92 Civic VX for $2K - it gets 50mpg. It paid for itself in 3 months...that was when gas was half the price it is now. It's safer than a bike too....at least you have some sheet metal and can ride it year round.

Go for the beater car. Unless she's goign to complain about the added insurance costs.

she drives a TDI which gets great gas mileage

Gas Mileage < Fun Factor :)

+ Diesel stinks, & is really dirty.

+ Its not like your hanging out at the titty bar and coming home drunk. :rolleyes: Which you might do if you didn't have the GT to relieve your stress.:D

I think that her request is unfair. Is your gasoline bill a substantial part of your monthly expenses, are there other places where you could cut your overhead?. How many miles per day do you use your car for and how much do you pay for gas each week?. If you must use a car to commute to work and you are commuting over long distances, the Legacy typically gets about 27 mpg at speeds below 70 mph. If you are city commuting, you might consider getting something with a small 4 cylinder engine that gets 30 mpg on regular gasoline and costs the same as the depreciation hit that you will take if you try and sell the car. I don't know what type of woman she is. Some are sane and rational, explain it to her in plain numbers. Is her goal to save money or to dominate you. Its your relationship.

I drive 60miles per day, average 21mpg and I drive my car 3-4 days out of the week. I'll take her car the other 2 days.

I have to find some kind of a comprimise because I have no intentions of getting rid of the car. I'll probably look at the beater as an option.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

C-lo, if you get the beater, make sure that she picks it out and praise her for her unusually uncanny common sense. This will ensure domestic harmony and stroke her mass media induced sense of innate superiority. Better than a $100/hour+ marriage counselor. No?; and you get to keep your fun ride.

I'm Stage 2 93 and computer says 23.7 mpg avg. I don't WOT everywhere, but don't baby it either (that would kinda defeat the purpose of adding more power). If (rounding) 24 mpg ain't good enough for her and her black smoke belching, environmentially unfriendly (even I have 1 cat left in my car), global warming (;)), well, I just don't know what to tell you.

well she started the argument and made it about the car's gas milage. If it is about money, make it about money. If it is about some political BS like foreign oil, then make it about energy/pollution/scarce resources/etc. and not just the gas your car uses.

women like to have emotional reactions to things and fight being rational. Make her choice to ahve a fight about this emotionally unappealing, but do so by not picking a fight but turning her own BS against her.

If it's just a money issue, break out the hit you'll take on trade in, broaden tthe topic to other things like where the thermostat is kept this winter. Women HATE the place being a little colder. Basically get nethusiastic about saving money, and target thigns you do together that she likes more than you do. While negotiations go on about this you can do things like insist you beth get to keep one thing that you like, and yours is your car and we'll find the savings in other things. Like going to the movies, cutting back the cable package, dinners out, cranking back the thermostat from 72 to 68 this winter, etc. Suggest you btoh change to hairstyles that do not require the use of a blowdryer if not already applicable. Start line drying clothing in the apartment/house rather than use a clothes dryer. There are TONS of things that save youa few pennies here and there that just plain are not worth the savings. Start integrating them into both of your lives so she gets the point. To her, a car is unimportant and just gets you from here to there. She doesn't value an enjoyable car, so spread the reasoning to things she does enjoy and value. Unless she is a paragon of virtue, odds are she's got something.

But basically, if it is about household expense, make it readily apparant that it will NOT just be your job to cut household costs. The real truth is that if you can't afford the car, the time to argue about it was BEFORE you bought the car, and the horse is out of the barn already. So unless you just came home with it without discussing it, she has to take some responsibility for it too.

If it is about politics and watching too much evening news, well... you'd have to be more specific about what pushes her buttons before folks can supply you with ammunition for that one.

The real truth is that if you can't afford the car, the time to argue about it was BEFORE you bought the car, and the horse is out of the barn already. So unless you just came home with it without discussing it, she has to take some responsibility for it too.

+1, total WAPCE.

I keed I keeed

+1, total WAPCE.

no, definitely not the case. affordability was never the case. gas prices going up is what I think got her on the wagon.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Did she actually calculate the increase in monthly gas expenses since prices starting going up? Probably not.

Find something she would never give up and tell her I'll give up the car if you do the same. It is very important that you're 100% sure she won't give up that thing.

I keed I keeed

my wife forced me to get the car on the right after she drove my LGT!

http://www.pbase.com/frankcoti/image/44345706.jpg

Sometimes if I got to drive a bit further than her, I grab the more

fuel efficient rex and she the LGT... so we are both happy in the

process ( makes for a nice change ). My wife is a firm believer that

you only live once so may as well enjoy yourself in the process and

it's sure when we arrive at the house together at night and have all

the neighbours gawk at us ... :D:D:D

but really, did your wife even ever ...*cough*... TRY the LGT???

Archived