LegacyGT.com

Subaru won't offer a Legacy GT, so I bought a Chevrolet SS.

Nope, opposite. The rears wear faster on a RWD car or truck. Staggered fitment for all years, and it does limit rotation options. It's a performance car, there will be additional running expenses. The stock Bridgestone tires are noisy and stiff, I look forward to replacing them with something better. If I can source a front alloy wheel I'll make it a spare and go away from the run flat tires.

Also be prepared for big oil changes. Chevrolet picks up the first two years at 7500 mile intervals, but I changed mine at 5K. The LS3 takes 8 quarts of 5W-30 (Mobil 1 is factory fill), make sure your drain pan can hold that much.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are the tires staggered 245/275 for all years? So, rotation is just side-to-side? And if you get directional tires, no rotation at all??

I've never driven a car with staggered tires - is it as much of a pain as it seems like it might be? Even with AWD, the fronts seemed to wear faster on the LGT - does the same happen here?

You can always grab a square setup and go 275 all around. The lug pattern is 5x120 which is shared by numerous BMWs, so wheel choices are plentiful. I hate not using the stock wheels in the summer since they're light and forged, but I'd really like a set of Apex Race Wheels.

Will 275s fit on the front? Different wheels needed, I assume? :spin:

Also, I've only found a 1.25" Curt hitch. I *JUST* got a 2" setup for hitch + bike carrier for our van.. :confused:

Strongly leaning towards the SS. Half of me wants it, the other half keeps shouting to be logical/reasonable/frugal.. The 3.6 Impala for $27K isn't bad, right? :)

After way more back-and-forth flip-flopping than I've ever done on anything else, I decided to have them open up the front diff of the LGT, and see how much to fix.

If the LGT is dead, or I really don't want to keep it any more, wifey and I have negotiated on a G37/G37x sedan - enough space for the family, and 2-3 year old examples are about half of an SS, but still fun to drive. I don't drive that much currently, and many times, it's in traffic, etc.. Dropping $50k (after tax) on a new car where I can't use 70% of its potential just isn't a good use of $$ right now. Better off spending $22-24k on a lightly used G37 and $2-3k on dressing it up - and maybe a CARB legal supercharger in 2-3 years. Wish my big ass fit into the sport seats, but apparently, I'm not the only one who finds them super-small (was mentioned as one of the few "cons" in a review I found).

We also agreed that in 2-3 years, if I really hate the G (assuming it happens), or if we keep the LGT, I can revisit this decision. Who knows, maybe then, a used SS might be available WITHOUT unicorn tears.

I find it funny that an SS (Commodore) is better than a bloody Liberty GT these days.

What has the world come to lol.

I would've taken a hard look at a new LGT, but that doesn't exist, and probably wouldn't exist spec'ed the way I would want anyway. After my LGT experience, I learned that it's just easier to buy a car that's fast right off the showroom floor. My SS has a nice 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty and it'll run 12s right out of the box on shitty tires.

Plus, I really can't see myself owning a turbo Subaru long term. I know too many people with ringland issues. A buddy just lost the ringlands on his 2015 STi.

I find it funny that an SS (Commodore) is better than a bloody Liberty GT these days.

What has the world come to lol.

because the new Legacy is a big fat bloated pig, and no performance version available either

SS has a REALLY nice interior compared to my Legacy with big power, RWD, and Manual.

Manual transmission is a hard thing to come by in US

If I was still living in Sydney, I'd have bought a BNR34/Stagea/Chaser for sure

After my LGT experience, I learned that it's just easier to buy a car that's fast right off the showroom floor.

I totally agree. I don't understand why people buy 14 and 15 sec cars when they want to run 11's or 12's.

because the new Legacy is a big fat bloated pig, and no performance version available either

I am not sure what your definition of fat and bloated, but the RWD SS is 450-500# heavier than the AWD 5th and Gen 6th gens (5th gen didn't gain weight over the 4th gen and 6th gen is something like 50# heavier than a 4th gen) . I agree their are no really performance version of the Legacy (sorry 3.6R owners mid 15 sec 1/4 miles isn't a performance models)

For the SS's size and power output it is pretty light. Keep in mind that running gear capable of reliable operation for 100k warrantied miles behind a high torque output engine is going to be a bit heavier than the same components from an economy car. Despite the use of lightweight materials where possible the rear end will have a heavy duty diff, and big half shafts. A 6L80E isn't a lightweight transmission you're going to find in a civic either. For that matter even though the LS3 is pretty light and compact for the power output it does weigh more than a Subaru H4.

I totally agree. I don't understand why people buy 14 and 15 sec cars when they want to run 11's or 12's.

I am not sure what your definition of fat and bloated, but the RWD SS is 450-500# heavier than the AWD 5th and Gen 6th gens (5th gen didn't gain weight over the 4th gen and 6th gen is something like 50# heavier than a 4th gen) . I agree their are no really performance version of the Legacy (sorry 3.6R owners mid 15 sec 1/4 miles isn't a performance models)

how did the 5th gen not look bloated compared to the 4th gen?

and if you want to compare it to the SS, one is a full size sedan while other is compact/mid-size sedan

So tonight I finally got around to turning off the traction control completely (doesn't take much) to see what the car does without it. I have been feeling used to the power, and thinking it wasn't really all that powerful when accelerating from a stop like it should be. Yeah..... from a 20MPH roll in 1st gear going full throttle results in instant burnout and much slithering from the rear end, and continued into 2nd gear with a hard shift lighting them up even more. I let off at this point since I was satisfied with my findings.

Traction control and torque management have their hands full when turned on, without them this car is an axe murderer in low gears at low speeds if you want it to be. Obliterates the rear tires at will, even when already moving. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Mine is an auto, so there is no dumping of clutches. I wasn't power braking, just taking off in 1st gear and going WOT at about 15-20 MPH. Not rolling into it, flooring it.

Haven't played with launch control, not sure if the 2015 auto has it.

30 degrees is too cold for the tires on car that has the ability to spin them. My experience at drag strip is that somewhere in the 40's, the tire traction seems to drop off significantly. Even though I make more HP at lower temps, my time slip are better on a 50 degree day vs. a 40 degree day.

(Obviously I am not talking about my 2.5i, which does not reasonably have the ability to spin the tires in the dry.)

Archived