LegacyGT.com

Subaru won't offer a Legacy GT, so I bought a Chevrolet SS.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The SS isn't a track beast like a new V Series Caddy, but the brake pad material is already ok for light track use and the trans has a decent sized cooler. I put a set of Vitesse Shift paddles on my car to replace the tiny stock pieces. They are a worthwhile mod for $100. As you move up into quicker run groups, all you would need are better pads and tires. The Brembos make pad changes a 5 minute affair (per corner).

I would bet a stock SS will lap faster than a pretty well modified LGT, considering the tire compounds were similar.

Reviving this old thread.. Just because I don't know where else to go to start learning.. If wife had agreed to up to ~$40k, and you THOUGHT you would like to do some track events, because there are a few within 3-4 hours driving, etc..

Which car(s) would you consider? Having useable rear seats a big plus. Basically trading off "because racecar" with "because family".

Wondering about:

-trying to avoid Miata/S2000/Corvette because I'm not small, and 4 seats (even if only in a pinch) is more or less a must. The bigger, the better. Also, will be daily driver some of the time, most likely.

-nearly new SS, Charger/Callenger Scat Pack (there are some out there for around $40k)?

-Mustang GT or Camaro SS + track pack?

-somewhat used CTS-V? I've seen a few 2011s and 2012s with 30-35k miles going for $35-40k.

Basically, I want to try a V8 (have always had fours and sixes). Are CTS-Vs, as you mentioned, basically track ready, nothing really needs to be done? How bad are they on maintenance? The sedans have plenty of space, etc.. And I'm sure my wife would tease me endlessly due to the 2000 DeVille sitting next door in her parent's garage..

Thanks for any clues..

Edit: oh yeah, put $1k down on a Tesla Model 3, but that was "just because". Not super early in line, may be interested if they come out with a "ludicrous" option, etc..

Well, Chevy just said they would cover and track related failures on the 2016 Camaro, so thats a plus. A 2016 Camaro SS can be pretty pricey depending on options. A used 1LE may be a better option if money is the major concern. Any year Camaro has tiny small seats and bad outward visibility.

The 2nd gen CTS-V is a monster. The power train is tried and true. You'll need a big budget for tires. I never cared for the Recaros in it. They felt too stiff for my liking.

The only new Mustang I've driven was a V6 coupe, but it felt significantly better than my brothers old 2012 GT Brembo Package. It was tiny in the back.

2015 SS can be had for around $40k cpo now. Good luck finding a manual. There are low mile 14s going for the mid 30s.

Yeah, I saw that about the '16 Camaro..

Unless tires only last 8-10k (versus the 20-25k I get now out of "40k" tires like the Pilot AS3+), shouldn't be that bad.

I like the idea of the magnetic shocks on the '15s, and I think there was one other thing on the '15s, so I'd prefer one of those, but I guess a '14 wouldn't be that bad either. OTOH, I saw a '12 CTS-V sedan with around 30k miles going for $35k..

The 2015 SS adds: MT option with launch control, MRC suspension, rear Brembos, painted rear diffuser, and a few more colors. IMO, some of the colors look out of place on the SS and would look more at home on something from Mopar.

I was getting an auto regardless, so the MT option didn't do anything for me. MRC is great, but I'd hate to replace them out of warranty and they can be a little complicated if you mod the suspension. The rear Brembos look great, but '14s have shown to stop shorter than the '15s by a few feet.

I'm researching summer tires now for my SS. Looks like I can expect to pay around $800 bucks for a really nice set or $1200 for Pilot Super Sports. I doubt I will go with the PSS.

Yeah, I saw that about the '16 Camaro..

Unless tires only last 8-10k (versus the 20-25k I get now out of "40k" tires like the Pilot AS3+), shouldn't be that bad.

I like the idea of the magnetic shocks on the '15s, and I think there was one other thing on the '15s, so I'd prefer one of those, but I guess a '14 wouldn't be that bad either. OTOH, I saw a '12 CTS-V sedan with around 30k miles going for $35k..

NEW 2015 Chevrolet SS - 25% off Sticker! Offer ends April 18th. Molle Chevrolet is located in Blue Springs, MO. Will work out transport if need be. Visit the Molle Chevrolet website for pictures and other vehicle details.

This offer is good for anyone, in or out of the state of MO. You do not have to qualify for any special rebates or incentives. Would love to do have the opportunity to do business.

Heron White

Automatic

With Sunroof

MSRP- 49,440

SALE - 37,080

Contact Kurtis Nauser.

573-639-2329

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/chevy-ss-dealers-pricing/90186-new-2015-chevrolet-ss-25-off-sticker.html

• 8 months later...

Just an update. I've got a bit over 13k miles on my SS now. There's not a day that goes by that I don't 100% enjoy driving it.

I replaced the stock RE50A summer tires with Bridgestone PS04 Pole Positions UHP summers. They are enormously better to drive on than the RE50As.

On Xmas Eve I was walking into CVS when something roared to life in the parking lot behind me. It was a 2016 SS with the bimodal exhaust. Holy shit do I want to figure out how to retrofit those mufflers and the controller onto my car!

Just drove a '14 with 12k miles for $34-35k. Felt pretty nice. Didn't really get on it due to the family + salesman being in the car, but seemed like there was a good bunch of power up top, but you had to really push the pedal to the 3/4 point or more to really get it to giddy-up. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but a little different than the last 12 years with my LGT - may just be the tunes where it feels like anything above 50% throttle is basically the same once boost kicks in..

Just drove a '14 with 12k miles for $34-35k. Felt pretty nice. Didn't really get on it due to the family + salesman being in the car, but seemed like there was a good bunch of power up top, but you had to really push the pedal to the 3/4 point or more to really get it to giddy-up. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but a little different than the last 12 years with my LGT - may just be the tunes where it feels like anything above 50% throttle is basically the same once boost kicks in..

The torque management is pretty extreme in normal driving modes. Put Stabilitrak in Competition Mode and the trans in Sport and make sure the car is starting in 1st gear by using the paddles. You will instantly find the power you were looking for. Just watch the summer tires if it's cold out.

Even with 3 adults in the car, the SS should rip, especially if it's cold out. Right now my car feels like it has 450hp with the cold temps.

The torque management is pretty extreme in normal driving modes. Put Stabilitrak in Competition Mode and the trans in Sport and make sure the car is starting in 1st gear by using the paddles. You will instantly find the power you were looking for. Just watch the summer tires if it's cold out.

Even with 3 adults in the car, the SS should rip, especially if it's cold out. Right now my car feels like it has 450hp with the cold temps.

Thanks. I just switched to manual, and shifted it for part of the drive.. I'm sure there are more aggressive modes out there..

The SS costs what? Around 46k?

How is that in the same price category as a Leggy GT? Seems to me this isn't about a car buyer not being able to buy a certain model but a bunch of car buyers stepping up.

Am I wrong? Would someone cross shop a Leggy GT (if they were available) and an SS?

How is that in the same price category as a Leggy GT? Seems to me this isn't about a car buyer not being able to buy a certain model but a bunch of car buyers stepping up.

Am I wrong? Would someone cross shop a Leggy GT (if they were available) and an SS?

I would have depending on what could have been offered. Although with just a bit over 16K on our '15 SS I think we made a good decision for what we wanted. Car is laid up right now due to winter weather, but we have 2 other vehicles at home.

Resisting the temptation to mod the LS3 is getting harder though. Issues of GM High Tech performance are following me home for some reason.

GM has had several 20% off sales. If you look around, you can find new SSs on the east coast for around $40k. Some people picked up new SSs this summer for around $37-38k. I think we paid $31-32k in '05 for our new LGT Limited - that's $40k in 2016 dollars.

So, maybe a BIT of a step up, but not that much..

I waited as long as I could to see if Subaru offered a new LGT. The sticker on my 05 LGT LTD (250 hp) was just under $30k, the 2010 LGT sticker was $35k ( 265 hp), and a 2016 3.6r stickers at $34k fully loaded, so a new LGT would probably sticker around $37k and have less than 300hp.

Now all of a sudden a new LGT and SS aren't all that far off price wise. When you compare the known performance of the SS vs the probable pseudo sport sedan performance of a new LGT, $46k seems like a bargain for a new SS...but thats if you paid sticker. I purchased mine brand new for a couple grand over that $37k assumed price of a new LGT mark.

Yes.

I haven't done a lot of research but am told that a used reconditioned ZL1 blower and manifold bolt right on and 7-8lbs is safe on the LS3. Not sure what else you'd need for the install and tune but an eBay ZL1 blower can be had for less than $1K.

Then there are cams, intakes, headers, and tuning for naturally aspirated motors and a lot of gains can be made there as well. The rectangle port LS3 heads can flow a lot of air stock, evidently enough to support well over 500hp without porting.

If I lived down there, I would much rather enjoy some JDM goodness from Subaru or Nissan that we don't get here. Not to mention all the R33 and R34 GTR's you can get used down there. Moreso they have models of Subaru & GT-R's that we don't get here.

Archived