LegacyGT.com

Subaru won't offer a Legacy GT, so I bought a Chevrolet SS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOOOLLLL

but hey, enjoy the better MPG

now with Stg 1 I get 28 mpg and I'm putting down 283 to the wheels. I'll take it. If I had a winter beater, no doubt I would have bought the SS. But the WRX for being my one car year round, best choice I had.

Le sigh..... must resist temptation to modify LS3. I have friends that know how to do significant motor work like cam swaps. Must not give in this winter when the car is parked... and my tax returns and profit sharing come in.

I drove my friends the other day, I really wish I got one instead of the WRX.

I'm still shocked at how well this car drives, the power is very good but the chassis balance and response are what make the SS exceptional.

The fact I just wrote that statement about a GM product is even more shocking to me. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would consider a Chevrolet sedan to dynamically excellent, well made, and luxurious I would have said you were full of shit. If you then told me I'd buy one... I'd laugh right in your face.

I'm still shocked at how well this car drives, the power is very good but the chassis balance and response are what make the SS exceptional.

The fact I just wrote that statement about a GM product is even more shocking to me. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would consider a Chevrolet sedan to dynamically excellent, well made, and luxurious I would have said you were full of shit. If you then told me I'd buy one... I'd laugh right in your face.

The ATS and CTS definitely put GM on my radar. I much prefer to drive my SS over her ATS turbo. I get pissed when she blocks me in the driveway.

Awesome car, but smaller than the SS by a good margin. No bueno for me. Plus MSRP is $60k.

Chevy SS:

It stretches 195.6 inches long, 74.8 inches wide and 58.7 inches tall, making it roughly the same size as Cadillac's range-topping XTS. To briskly move the SS' considerable mass, engineers dug around the Corvette parts bin and pulled out a LS3 6.2-liter V8 that makes 415 horsepower and 415 lb-ft. of torque.

CTS V-Sport

16 ft. 3.5 in. (195.5 in.)

Front Track: 5 ft. 1.4 in. (61.4 in.)

Rear Track: 5 ft. 1.7 in. (61.7 in.)

Wheel Base:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I tried finding a good CPO V-Sport but couldn't find the right car at the right price. I wanted to look at the premium option package car, but they were more scarce and higher in price than I wanted to spend.

I also read some mixed reviews on tuning the engine since it is more difficult than just turning up the boost due to torque management and power being based on load demand. Seemed a bit beyond the capability of a lot of aftermarket tuning providers.

I'm happy with my choice, I like the LS3 and I like the aftermarket potential for it if I go down that road at some point.

Also going by interior room I recall the CTS is smaller inside than the SS particularly in the rear seating area.

I mean on the inside Rando. The SS makes much better use of the available space, even though both cars share almost the same exterior dimensions. My SS feels roomy, even to my giant frame, whereas the CTS is a very snug fit, especially in the back seat.

If I have a few beers at dinner, my wife can drive home and I'll sit shotgun, in front of the rear facing convertible seat in the rear.

Just read a review of the new M3 and the writer at the end said he'd take the SS over it any day of the week. Due to performance being very close and the extra $24k or so you'd pay just doesn't justify it unless you have the $ to burn.

I'm still reading about new performance cars and still the performance of the SS is typically within a second of every test except straight line speed. Mod the SS when you have a desire to do so and you'll still have a very competitive high performance sedan and usually for thousands less even after your mods.

Still a no brainer. Unless a desire for AWD, a lighter chassis, of better mpg, would have you looking at anything else.

Still loving mine and finally have an intake on order. I'll get it tuned once it's installed.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

The $24K difference in price between an SS and an M3, should you have the cash lying around, would buy you a very stoutly built bored and stroked LS3 with forced induction. You'd make up that difference in strait line speed very easily at that point.

Archived