LegacyGT.com

fredrik94087's 2015 WRX

• Moderators
One point to make with thicker oil is that if you are burning 5w-30 oil, depending on reason for burning oil you may burn less if you switch to 5w-40. This alone would prevent issues due to lack of checking / topping off religiously. If you are checking / topping off every fill up, probably doesn't matter. But for many, dumping in 5w-40 and just carrying on is a great strategy to deal with a motor that burns a thinner oil.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is, of course, useful information with data to back it up that I'd consider.

I didn't say I was going to come back with data, just that I'd look out for this.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I don't want to multi-quote, so here are a few thoughts/facts/etc.

1. People say all kinds of $hit without proof nor actual experience. A lot of EJ folks have used the T6 5w40. After reading a comment by a KillerB employee who has been running it for 30,000 miles on stage 2 with no problems, made me confident enough to use it. I will be using redline 10w40 for track days and the T6 for my 2500 mile OCI. I am now on my second fill of T6. The T6 is approved for the latest diesel vehicles. Don't get scared of the "diesel" label on there. If budget permits, I will run 10w40.

There is no bearing clearance issue that will not allow me to run 10w40 or 5w50. 15w50 and 10w60 is another animal, and it will just not flow as well. I spoke with a tech at Redline about their oils. There would be a slight pressure drop, but nothing that would compromise the motor. It would just not allow the turbo to spool as quickly nor the engine to rev as easily.

2. Mishimoto TMIC: We (my tuner and I) see a 4psi drop on the top end. My tuner has seen the same thing on another WRX. He also tuned one with the PW cooler. Same mods and same tuner, the PW cooler was able to make 25whp more. One of the guys on NASIOC swapped out the Mishi for the PW and gained at least 25whp and had less of a drop off on the top end. I "believe" (if memory serves correct), the same guy that swapped the TMIC measured pressure drop and the Process West has a 2psi drop on the top end. versus the 4psi drop of the Mishi. I don't know about KillerB.

3. Carry on....

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

One point to make with thicker oil is that if you are burning 5w-30 oil, depending on reason for burning oil you may burn less if you switch to 5w-40. This alone would prevent issues due to lack of checking / topping off religiously. If you are checking / topping off every fill up, probably doesn't matter. But for many, dumping in 5w-40 and just carrying on is a great strategy to deal with a motor that burns a thinner oil.

That, of course, being a legitimate reason to use a thicker oil. But if you're not having that problem there may not be a reason to.

Well what you'd see is based on actual numbers vs. feels about the company.

I don't have any feelings one way or the other about the company. I wasn't aware of any issues with this product until Frederick brought it up. Perhaps you've mistaken me for someone else. I don't have any vested interest in this.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I don't have any feelings one way or the other about the company. I wasn't aware of any issues with this product until Frederick brought it up. Perhaps you've mistaken me for someone else. I don't have any vested interest in this.

I think he was saying that you'll only be seeing (and hopefully reporting) actual data rather than subjective "mishimoto sucks" type of info.

I think he was saying that you'll only be seeing (and hopefully reporting) actual data rather than subjective "mishimoto sucks" type of info.

I'm already sorry I mentioned this at all.

I'm not saying you do have feelings one way or the other.... In fact I'm saying the opposite, that if you see a difference it's valuable information and based on reality. I'm saying that if you see something that's real information and that's valuable unlike some of the stuff I see online, like "Mishimoto's just a bunch of china made crap".

I apologize if it came off as the opposite of what I'm saying... My intention was to say data matters not anecdotes. That's all, no accusations, no one specific.

^^^ we are all on the same page.

fahr_side, as you said, please have a look at the psi drop and let us know if you are seeing the same thing reported by others. my gut feeling is that you see the same thing. until Mishi comes out with a different core at least.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

wow I didn't mean to spark up an oil debate topic lol. I do agree with you though, with how often you're changing your oil you could run 7 eleven brand conventional oil and be fine. For every major maintenance and before a track day or getting on the dyno, I use Motul 8100 X-Clean. Outside of that I use Mobil1/T6/Castrol Edge/whatever 5w30 synthetic is on sale at walmart for 25 bucks.

stay away from synthetics that are low in zinc or other wear additives.

T6 is around 1100ppm

redline is 1200 ppm

most brands are in the 600ppm range.

castrol magnalev seems good but no 5w40 or 10w40 for me.

I got a Anarchy Motive Shift Knob a few weeks back, it's nice and heavy but I haven't decided if I like it or not

I like mine...

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/mikeinsac/IMG_0087_zpsqxuj5xbr.jpg

http://legacygt.com/forums/<a href=http://s678.photobucket.com/user/mikeinsac/media/IMG_0087_zpsqxuj5xbr.jpg.html target=_blank>http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/mikeinsac/IMG_0087_zpsqxuj5xbr.jpg

I'm starting to like mine a little more. On the plus side on the cold mornings it's not freezing like my Lathewerks knob was. Shifts do feel great with it, but now idk how i feel about the gunmetal powdercoating because it has a sparkle finish :lol: I know I'm being picky at this point. I might order another one but in a different finish.

I have both a custom latheworks heavy knob and the raceseng slammer knob.

I attempted tobhave the slammer knob leather wrapped. The guy said he spent 4 hours and just couldnt do it. he tried 1 piece, 2 piece, 4 piece. none of them were going to be good enough.

now that the slammer has been scuffed and scratched from the attempt to wrap it, I am gonna give it a few good sprays and put it back on.

it just feels better than the latheworks knob as far as shifting feel.

whew...small ordeal. I was swapping out my wheels and decided to put on the race pads at the same time.

Never changed Brembo pads before. Once I did one, the rest were super fast.

Also, I had a few of these made. needs a small adjustment and possibly thinner aluminum. this one is overkill.

oops...didnt load. will load later.

* cleaned used wheels/tires and removed tape from weights. I will take them to americas tire tomorrow to get a fresh set of 615k.

* changed air filter and cleaned the dirty one.

* sprayed maf sensor with crc maf cleaner.

* installed 4 point harness. had to change a buckle on the 4 point as it did not P&P from 3.6r. The install, however was easier than on the 3.6r.

have day off as waiting on folks to install custom closets.

1638871524_2016-04-2112_54_20.jpg.30c68e8cbfff0e5079ddbda7dd1efb0c.jpg

rotfl...I wish!!!!!!

May 21. Be there or be square.

I will be running Redline 10w40 and will put the ht autos front lip back on there.

I need a front splitter. According to Rallysportdirect, there is one in the works.

your birthday? anniversary? a wedding?

Archived