LegacyGT.com

fredrik94087's 2015 WRX

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

process west verticooler and the mishimoto tmic.

Mishimoto just released a new thread yesterday. They are making TGV deletes. About half a dozen guys are ripping mishimoto a new one.

They are the last company to the table with regard to tgv deletes.

Here is the link:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2764215

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Subscribed for the crucifixion. Who's gonna be the first to mention a V2 TMIC fir all their disappointed V1 customers.

I think it should be you, GTEASER.

Actually, I encourage every one of you to post on that tgv delete thread asking about a V2 tmic.

Worst case they close the thread and we win a battle.

Instead of wasting time re-creating the wheel (tgv delete), they should be focusing on improving the psi drop of their tmic.

I am waiting to see stage 2 dyno graphs of killerB and eventually grimmspeed. I will buy the better one.

Process west wrote back to me saying they dont believe any strut tower brace can clear their verticooler. Too bad because it is proving to be a good product.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Process west wrote back to me saying they dont believe any strut tower brace can clear their verticooler. Too bad because it is proving to be a good product.

Is a strut tower brace actually needed? Looking at pictures of the 2015 engine bay, it looks like the strut towers are attached to the firewall.

I can't tell you how many people keep saying it is not necessary.

I will remove the STB this weekend and see how the car does without it.

I got the ohlins and stb at the same time and the small wobble went away (high speed cornering...off road of course). I can't say if it was the Ohlins or the STB. With the Fortunes I had some wobble. I also had the wobble with the OE suspension.

I did the deed. :lol:

On NASIOC....

Maybe actually doing R&D instead of rushing marginal product to market to capture unsuspecting customers before all the other respectable products that actually net real world performance improvement hit the market.

A V2 TMIC would be a good place to start.

And I responded...ROTFL!!!

jupitersj: What issues does their tmic have?

fredrik94087: The last time we went down this road, there was a kid that got his panties all in a knot and a thread was closed.

I don't want the same thing to happen to this thread. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

Well, I asked Mishimoto about the issue with the TMIC and what they plan on doing.

I got a reply from them:

Hey Fredrik,

Thank you for your email!

Have you ensured that everything is securely fastened in your setup?

Unfortunately, as we regret to say, it sounds like there may be an issue within the tune itself. Do you experience a pressure loss like this in OE tune or the stage 1 you have?

How much boost are you running in stage 2? I will speak with our engineering team to see if there is anything else they suggest checking.

Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Sooooo... I wrote back and included my tuner in the e-mail:

I will make it very easy for you. My tuner is Travis Barnes of Snail Performance. He knows how to tune the FA20. I am including him on this e-mail.

He and other tuners are seeing the same issue with the power drop off of the Mishimoto TMIC at stage 2 and beyond.

The TMIC drops about 4 PSI at full boost. When I was at stage 1 and we didn't have enough airflow, the drop was not as noticeable on the dyno graph.

I will be getting another intercooler.

I would like to ask for my money back for the Mishimoto TMIC and return it

YES!!!

The closed thread opened up, and Mishimoto re-posted the deleted message!!! ROTFL.

I am copying and pasting in case the mods delete it.

Here is the thread link:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667243&page=47

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by nofear72784 http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=automotive&keywords=mishimoto&linkCode=ur2]Mishimoto[/ame] Top Mount Intercooler 15 WRX

-15X10X4 --- Theoretical CI 600

-25.1lbs!! --- EXTREMELY Dense Core

-The End Tanks are cast aluminum and on the d/s it chokes the ends of the core by causing the lower 1/3 to squeeze through a .48" space and make a 90deg bend into the tank then another 110 into the throttle body.

A Bruker S1 Titan 800 Metal Analyzer was used to identify the core material.

-Unable to identify it's alloy number (never happened before but could have been possible contamination from paint in the core) so I cannot say with certainty it's Thermal Conductivity it's chemical makeup shows ferrous metals so there is steel in the alloy.

-Inlet and Outlet are 2.5"

-@ 16psi 1.78 psi pressure drop

-@ 20psi 3.51 psi drop

Temperature delta and flow are being withheld for reasons stated above.

Process West 2015 [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062O27VI]TMIC[/ame] Specs:

-15.75x8x5 --- Theoretical CI 630

-18.4lb Core --- Well evenly placed fins and nice tank design

-Core is Aluminum Alloy 1100 -- a very high thermally conductive material used in high end commercial heat exchangers

-Inlet 2 3/8"---Outlet 2 1/8"

-@16psi 1.28psi drop

-@20 psi 1.58 psi drop

Temperature delta and CFM again withheld for now. I will say it was flowing 1/3 more CFM from 13psi to 21psi. It easily maxed out the stock turbo with cold to the touch outlet temps. I did not have the IR gun with me at Bren's so an exact temperature is not available.

Now flow bench data gives you an idea of potential performance. The withheld data aligned so eerily with what we saw on the dyno I was surprised. Good ideas on paper sometimes don't translate in real life. Chris can verify this as I sent him the numbers days before the dyno run. It performed nearly exactly as predicted.

I hope this helped the many members that were having issues and questioned this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062O27VI]TMIC[/ame] as the cause. This was only meant to compare A to B so please do not ask me to test manufacturer "X's" core as that was not the point of this and I am not being paid to perform R&D. I consider the issue solved. The bottleneck has been found and 1 of possibly many suitable solutions found. Always ask your tuner what they recommend.

I actually have 292whp/332wtq. Not sure why I was fixated on the other number.

Here is the video of the dyno pull.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0dU_yvIsA]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0dU_yvIsA[/ame]

• 1 month later...

Been a while...some back and forth...some wishy washy stuff.

Still at stg2+ all bolt-ons.

Finally got a few body pieces added on...trunk lip, rear diffusor, front lip/splitter combo.

Here is a shot, but more at:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds/134490233-2015-wrx-base-build-list-jodedor.html#post4610593

20160210_161839.thumb.jpg.5316fa5377c7bd427a074befa5ff6625.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Installed Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX. I was getting very tired of the factory Bluetooth

I still need to get an adapter for the steering wheel controls.

i contemplated just a head unit with no nav but bluetooth and streaming would not be as good.

almost went for the Blaupunkt 940. it has an integrated mic and the usb/aux is in front. couldnt wait as they had the pioneer on hand and I had an hour to install before going home (covert operation FTW)

both have 22w RMS...which is better than the POS unit in the hase WRX. the sound was instantly better. next step is the kenwood factory speaker upgrade.

the pioneer unit needs an external mic which was tucked front and center just above the storage. the usb and aux were routed to glove box but I will have them flush mounted next to the mic. pics after.

True...I just didn't want them to open the car up too much. I called the wife on the way home. She said it sounds about the same as when I am talking on the cellphone.

Anything is an improvement over the Bluetooth in the base WRX. I suspect the Bluetooth in the HK system is better like it was in the Legacy.

My phone would not connect automatically. Sometimes it was not found. Sometimes my phone was just dropped while streaming music.

When I used the Bluetooth, everyone complained of a LOT of background noise and static.

Needless to say...I am a LOT happier with the Pioneer. It has decent power with a built in Mosfet amp. Plenty of adjustment with crossover/eq/etc. I think I finally got the sound to where I want it. It sounds close to the HK in the Legacy as far as sound quality. Less speakers and less power, but close.

correction...it is the 7100 NEX not the 8100.

Hmm...maybe I didn't update...

Too many things changed and I didn't stay on top of it.

The catback is Corsa. It sounds great with the intake and jpipe.

Alright, I took a few minutes and put a summary on the first page.

So did you have the J pipe for a while with the stock catback? I'm reading mixed things about whether that's something you can do with our generation WRX (Nasioc is so full of crap-posts). Most of what I'm looking for is "Stage 2" but quiet.

I don't even have the car yet and already I'm plotting mods lol.

Archived