LegacyGT.com

fredrik94087's 2015 WRX

I had the cobb catted and resonated pipe on there with the STI resonated midpipe.

I went to Travis for a tune. We hit 330wtq, but he couldn't go above 260whp.

Now, the STI resonated midpipe should be straight through (just like the dinky one on the intermediate pipe of the WRX). I assume the car would have behaved the same way with the WRX midpipe.

He recommended opening up the catback as he believed that was a bottleneck.

Honestly, the Corsa sounds awesome. It has a hint of an "exotic" tone to it.

I keep telling myself and others: If I were to do it all over again, it would be Perrin Oil Cooler, Grimmspeed or KillerB TMIC (both with Charge Pipe), and a protune.

You will be making more power than an STI, AND you can easily go back to "factory" other than the oil cooler and TMIC in case $hit.

Suspension/brakes/etc...up to the individual.

Some say the Invidia Q300 is quiet, but from the Youtube posts, it doesn't seem any more quiet than the corsa exhaust. But, the Corsa exhaust just sounded sonorous. It was the best sounding exhaust from youtube vids.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the Q300 on my 3.6R... Not really quiet, it droned like a mother-f until I got an extra resonator. That's part of why I'm so interested in quiet. But then again it wasn't designed for a 3.6R. I was thinking cobb catted, resonated j pipe (this guy - http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/exhaust/subaru-ss-3-j-pipe-resonated-wrx-6mt-2015-2016 ) into something quiet. The non-resonated version sounds pretty awful.

Brakewise - I'll probably move up to the STI brembos. I experienced brake fade a couple of times during hard driving in the Legacy, so it'll happen eventually. Not sure if it's an immediate. I may go for power first. I'm definitely going to be autocrossing this WRX, I was autocrossing the Legacy, so some upgrades will be in store.

I got rid of the cobb catted and resonated because it is a 200 cell count.

The grimmspeed catted is 300 cell. It has "less" smell and is a one piece.

I knew the WRX brakes were inadequate when I found myself in a situation where I needed to make an emergency stop and was surprised how bad the brakes were.

Do you plan on getting wheels that clear Brembos? KNS has a kit that works with the WRX and does not need "brembo" clearance.

I believe the stoptechs and AP brake kits do not need additional clearance. Check with Nick at KNS.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/2675_2015+Subaru+WRX+6MT//6_Big+Brake+Kits

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Mine comes with 18s, I'm getting the 2016 premium. I've seen them clearing 4 pot front brembos already. So it should be OK.

The wheels it came with apparently were the STI non-BBS option.

Also good to know on smell... I'm not going to tolerate my car smelling like a lawnmower.

• I Donated

Guys, the problem with the stock Subaru brakes is the pads. The calipers and rotors are perfectly fine for 99% of people out there.

I'm looking hard at the new Hawk Street Race pads. Effective from 100*F to 1200*F, which means they will be fine after the first stop of the day even in cold weather, and will be fine even in most track environments. I had Hawk HP+ on my Spec.B and was very satisfied with them, despite the very corrosive brake dust and high level of noise, because they stopped like nothing else, even on a cold morning. But the HP+ are only good from 100*F to 800*F or something like that, so the Street Race pads should be even better.

Guys, the problem with the stock Subaru brakes is the pads. The calipers and rotors are perfectly fine for 99% of people out there.

I'm looking hard at the new Hawk Street Race pads. Effective from 100*F to 1200*F, which means they will be fine after the first stop of the day even in cold weather, and will be fine even in most track environments. I had Hawk HP+ on my Spec.B and was very satisfied with them, despite the very corrosive brake dust and high level of noise, because they stopped like nothing else, even on a cold morning. But the HP+ are only good from 100*F to 800*F or something like that, so the Street Race pads should be even better.

Upgrdaded rotors and Carbotech pads were enough for track days in the Legacy, and would be better in a lighter WRX.

For street duty, the Brembos are hands down better than any factory spec rotor/pad combo you can put on a WRX.

That was the main reason for the Brembos. And, if and when the WRX makes it to a track, the Brembos will outperform my old setup (by adding Carbotechs to the Brembos)

• I Donated
I dunno. You don't need to justify the Brembos (they are still Brembos, after all), but I kind of doubt they provide any substantial advantage on the street over, say, Stoptech pads on stock calipers and rotors.

I spoke with a tuner a bit, he said based on his experience the stock catback (After the J-pipe and midpipe section) is not all that restrictive, and realistically I'd only be leaving around up to 10WHP on the table. So it could very well be worth it to keep the car quiet. But he also recommended I just jump straight to new intercooler, TGV and EGR deletes, and a boost solenoid. The damages are in the 4k range with a dyno tune... So it's something to think about.

He told me from what he's seen with our cars intake temperature is the biggest factor limiting potential power.

wait for the grimmspeed TMIC. the killerB unit is already out, but it would be nice to get the best one.

AND, get the Perrin thermostatic oil cooler. I repeat...get the Perrin thermostatic oil cooler.

Also, wait 'til 5,000 miles or so before going all in with mods. Check your oil levels regularly.

The guys that experience any type of oil consumption tend to be the ones that get in trouble.

So far, I have practically zero loss. I think the only oil I am losing is from wiping off the dipstick every fill up.

I am at 12,500+ miles. I just did my 2500 mile oil change. Car is still running smooth. 5,500 miles on stage2+

If you experience oil loss, keep on top of it and keep a log with the dealer until you can resolve it.

Signed up for Laguna Seca...Saturday, May 21, 2016 (yes, this year).

speed ventures.

$hit...march 19...not enough time for prep...aaaaaaand...too much work going on.

• I Donated
Are Turbo XS things that terrible? I can wait... I'm in no rush to get stuff done, the car still needs to be broken in.

Dunno if they are in general, but that TMIC is mediocre, from what I've read. Much better options out there.

there is a tmic comparison thread of turbo xs and killerb comparison on nasioc.

if you dont mind not having a front stb, get the pw verticooler.

you can get an accessport and flash the ots map after 1000 miles and your first oil change.

log and get familiar with your car and tables until 5000 when you go stage2.

it was a learning process for me coming from an NA car.

• 2 weeks later...

what's your thoughts on the process west Verticooler? I'm starting to stockpile for a Stg 2 build and IC and chargepipe are part of that build. Right now I'm looking at the PW Verticooler or the MAPerformance Stg 2 kit with everything in it including intercooler.

However now I'm thinking full cobb 3" TBE, Verticooler or KillerB IC, KillerB Chargepipe and Cobb SF intake.

The rza - We have a Cobb Big SF intake in stock that qualifys for free shipping. PM me if interested

I really like the PW verticooler as its great at keeping intake temps down. The killer b is nice but it seems more of my customers have gone the PW route thus far.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

The rza - We have a Cobb Big SF intake in stock that qualifys for free shipping. PM me if interested

I really like the PW verticooler as its great at keeping intake temps down. The killer b is nice but it seems more of my customers have gone the PW route thus far.

Dave

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, at the moment an intake is low on my list of priorities to do since it really provides more of an advantage in sound than function on these cars. My next priority of things to buy is a Cobb SS Catback, then Verticooler and charge pipe, and then j-pipe.

I'm getting retuned again by EFI logics for my Stg 1ish set up (TGV, EGR, EBCS) and one of the biggest things mikey told me to get done in the near future either before or after the tune is get a CBE and I'll enjoy it that much more.

same car same dyno with full bolt ons...verticooler adds 25whp easily over the mishimoto tmic. my tuner has seen it first hand and at least two members on nasioc have posted similar result.

Archived