LegacyGT.com

Scruit's engine build thread.

I'm delaying the reassembly until I can examine the AVCS motors and remaining oil line. May just replace them all.

Couldn't work on it today anyway - been sick as a dog for the last 4 days.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Infamous performance filtered oil line would save your turbo next time.

Definitely check the AVCS motors and your oil cooler.

I had the FP Oil line on there, supplied by BNR.

What would the Infamous oil line have done differently?

The subaru ones don't show the filter. but i could be wrong. Infamous uses a custom version of a filter from one of the big manufacturers that flows lots more oil than will every be needed and is 10 micron. so if it gets debris your still have enough oil to the turbo. hence why i have run one for 75k miles.

The subaru ones don't show the filter. but i could be wrong. Infamous uses a custom version of a filter from one of the big manufacturers that flows lots more oil than will every be needed and is 10 micron. so if it gets debris your still have enough oil to the turbo. hence why i have run one for 75k miles.

The Forced Performance oil line has a replaceable 10 micron filter element. I don't have the banjo filter any more.

Really, any good oil will be fine. I used Castrol GTX.

I ran Mobil 5000 or Shell or Exxon dino oil for the first 154,000 miles on the OEM engine. Had no issues from that.

The ej257 got Amsoil European Full SAPS 5w-40 after about 2500 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Spent a couple hours yesterday converting my disassembly notes into assembly instructions, while verifying that I have the parts, tools, fasteners and seals for everything. Then made sure I had the location of the parts listed (shelves numbered) in my spreadsheet, along with having the seals and fasteners together in baggies that were labelled by step# and arranged in correct order in the drawer.

In two hours I got halfway through the list steps. Hopefully I can finish that up tonight and tomorrow, along with running parts through the media blaster where needed (thermostat housing is gunked up with dried coolant and crap on the hose connection, etc).

The spreadsheet has a "Ready?" column and each step is marked as ready when I confirm that I have the part, tools, seals, and fasteners needed for that step. It's a lot of additional work but I have discovered some problems that would have brought the reassembly to a halt:

- The master seal kit does not have any timing seals at all. There are top and bottom rubber seals between the front and rear timing cover in the center section. There are also foam seals that go around the cams at the back of the rear timing covers. I have to get those from subaru.

- My VDO oil pressure sender won't fit under the alternator in the stock location or at the rear gallery plug, so I've had to order the relocation kit.

- Several of the parts need to be media blasted, or cleaned out because they had oil in them. More than I expected.

- Some parts broke while being taken apart, and some fasteners were missing.

Hopefully once this spreadsheet is done and all items marked as ready I can just schedule an install day and won't have any surprises that prevent me completing it. Scheduling for July 4th weekend.

Experience can be a cruel teacher when you can't figure out how shit goes back together...

...or when the install takes you 5 weeks because every time you get started you figure out you're missing something important and have to wait for the special order...

^^ Ever so slightly easier than taking the motor out again to reset them when you find it won't idle properly... ;)
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^^ Ever so slightly easier than taking the motor out again to reset them when you find it won't idle properly... ;)

Yeah. Same with the AVCS solenoids. Pulled them apart, no metal contamination which is good, but I can't get the seals as a kit. Even if I could, I have to worry about the alignment of the actuator on the cams - 1 thousandth too tight and it won't be able to advance, etc.

My local dealer is giving me wholesale pricing these days, so so it, new AVCS actuators on the way. Got the rest of the seals (around the timing cover) on the way too, and grabbed the last couple of bolts I needed (bolts for turbo/UP instead of studs, etc.

Once they arrive I should be good to go with the reinstallation. Still aiming for the july 4th weekend. I finished my task list so this coming week I'll be cleaning parts etc.

Oh, and on OCD... Part of my day job is coordinating upgrades to our company's public-facing website that can include dozens of people from storage, network, server and have to be completed successfully within a specified maintenance window. I'm used to spending 100 hours planning a 1 hour install. :)

Just found the clutch disk I got from FBP is wrong. Checked my order - definitely says 2005 Legacy 5spd w/turbo. Let's see how long it takes to get it swapped out.

They sent me 30100AA883, which lists as 2007+, probably for the SMFW? I have the DMFW which needs 30100AA810. There's a week delay that I'm glad I found out now, not during install weekend.

Swap to the single-mass flywheel while you're in there ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived