LegacyGT.com

Scruit's engine build thread.

On older cars I'd unplug the coil pack and pull the fuel pump fuse.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my Blackstone report back. This was after I removed the turbo to fix the oil return hose leak and I managed to convince myself that the bearings were bad. I sent the turbo to Bryan at BNR and an oil sample to Blackstone.

Bryan said the bearings were in great shape and showed no signs of starvation or contamination.

This is backed up by the oil report:

It does not appear the bearing problem made it into the oil - at least not any microscopic metal. The oil filter may have caught larger stuff; from what we're seeing in the 2-15 micron range, the oil is still clean. This was a longer run than the last and copper and silicon both improved.

The FP oil line filter screen was clean too.

The low oil pressure will be dealt with by bumping my idle speed. Dave at Cryotune already took care of that for me.

So, back to assembling everything. Tonight I removed and heat-wrapped the CNT catted downpipe. The Invidia catless up-pipe is already wrapped. I have a turbo blanket to install when the turbo goes in. I have a new oil pressure gauge to install - much nicer one with a 270deg sweep instead of 90deg, (cost $100 instead of $25) and it uses a much smaller sender so I can dispense with the oil pressure sender relocation kit.

I also just plumbed the sensor of a vacuum/boost gauge (same company, 270deg sweep from 30" to 30psi) so I just need to finish running the wires into the dash area and then hook them up. I rechecked all my vacuum lines, all look good.

Next step is to put the turbo back in. Given the condition reports on the turbo, oil and engine it looks like I'm back on track.

I *really* wish this was a project car, not my DD. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Quick update. 7500 miles on the engine, all is well. No more leaks or concerns of any kind with the engine. Just had it serviced at the dealership today and the only issues noted as a leak on a front axle seal (aftermarket driveshaft - never again. Subaru driveshaft will go in next week) and every couple of months I get the catalyst efficiency code. I have a catless UP so that's not a surprise.

I've been told that all 2005 axles for legacy's are the same. so you can buy a OEM reman. Also was told dealers won't sell you a reman if you tell them you have GT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived