LegacyGT.com

WRX USA's 09 OBXT Build Thread

WRX USA

38 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Yeah, it sucks. Those of us with 05-06 can’t even use that since the sensor polarity of the 07+ motor/sensor is different. I’ve been looking at circuitry to emulate the TGVs, but need an EE with some PCB design experience to take it to the next step. 

I didn’t realize that, and it seems like they may not have either. Even though it says 07-12 LGT in the description, they think a 2005 will work.

DB15843F-DAAC-4DE0-82BC-E21EC2B0FE8D.jpeg

Yeah I think shralp ran into this recently, albeit before actually trying to install. He was under the impression IAG included physical adapters for both the 05-06 and 07+ hardware, but regardless we’ve since confirmed the polarity difference between styles, which is not easily resolved (i.e. you can’t just swap the positive and negative, the open/closed position is mapped inversely on the 5V scale). I could make a prototype TGV emulator module for either style with relays and resistors, but we’d be better off with more robust solution. That conversation has been ongoing here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRX USA said:

I found out this week that due to changes with the laws any further tuning from Surgeline will require that I switch out the TGV deletes to something like these: https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-v3-top-feed-tgv-housings-with-butterfly-pass-thru-06-14-wrx-07-sti-07-12-lgt-09-13-fxt/. I was considering switching to an ETS FMIC and bigger injectors.

If you want a more budget friendly way (which I don't think you do, haha), you can also opt for '02-'05 WRX TGV's which share the motor/sensor with our cars but are top feed. Here's our thread discussing it. There are fewer and fewer salvage yards that still have these, i got quoted $100/side + shipping from one. In the end, I found a set on Facebook marketplace for $175.00 shipped.

• Like 2

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

1 hour ago, WRX USA said:

I found out this week that due to changes with the laws any further tuning from Surgeline will require that I switch out the TGV deletes to something like these: https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-v3-top-feed-tgv-housings-with-butterfly-pass-thru-06-14-wrx-07-sti-07-12-lgt-09-13-fxt/. I was considering switching to an ETS FMIC and bigger injectors.

Hey guys, following along here as Underdog and I have been chatting on the problem. Yes, similar issue this fall.  A bunk compression check at the shop here in Bend led me to take the track car to Surgeline for  a new short block and bump up to a Dom 2.5.  I'm already running a top feed set up and big injectors so something was going to have to be done about my IAG deletes.  Short story long, Surgeline's pre tear down comp test came back perfectly fine and it never had to go under the knife.  The plan was to source a 3 pin top feed TGV,  an '06 FXT being one choice, and this is what I sourced. Sounds like the polarity issue is still a hurdle and I never had to actually install so can't speak on that.  

I guess I assumed that the only reason IAG lists these as '07+ on the website was because of '05-'06 being side feed for Legacy.  From their pics is seems like everything in the kit is used to bolt on the existing OEM guts?  Presumably there is more to it than that :(  

Edited by shralp
  • Like 1

FYI, I had an email exchange with iWire and this is what they told me:

Hi Enlight,

Happy New Year to you too! Unfortunately, this will not work because the polarity of the TGV sensor and motors are backward from what the ECU expects, and simply flipping the pins around doesn't work. You would need a 3-pin/2-pin combination top feed TGV housing like one from an 02-05 WRX.

Thanks,
Brian
Level 3 Tech

• Thanks 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 8:09 AM, WRX USA said:

How much power do you expect to pick up from the FMIC?  Had the GS TMIC shown to be a bottleneck in similar setups to yours?

On 1/20/2023 at 7:54 PM, Underdog said:

I also have the Tomei poncams in my motor and have been very happy with them, but I wanted to trade off some low end for more mid/upper range. I feel like they would be an odd choice with a vf52-based setup, but I’ve never seen it tried. 

Tend to agree with this since any cam you get will move the powerband higher into the rpm range. 

When I first built my motor I ran gsc stage2 cams with one of jmp's upgraded vf52's.  Even though the vf52 will make power upto redline. You don't want to live and drive that high in your rpm band as it is out of the efficiency range of the vf52. 

Go upto a 20g, 1.5xtr or any bigger turbo to take advantage of those cams otherwise imo. 

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

• 6 months later...

I picked up a set of JDM black pillars that are airbag compatible. I already have the D-pillars and upper tailgate pieces so I will probably list those soon. 

A-pillars

Left 94010AG050

Right 94010AG040

B-pillars

Left 94012AG050 ("SRS Airbag" cover 94067AG110)

Right 94012AG040 ("SRS Airbag" cover 94067AG100)

C-Pillars

Left 94043AG010 ("SRS Airbag" cover 94067AG130)

Right 94043AG000 ("SRS Airbag" cover 94067AG120)

D-pillars

Left 94015AG010

Right 94015AG000

• Like 1

• 3 months later...