LegacyGT.com

WRX USA's 09 OBXT Build Thread

WRX USA

That looks great for fogs, lots of side coverage, and doesn't look like an increase in height above the low beams. Long ago, in the days of manual everything, i would occasionally run my aftermarket fogs only and lights off in the deep tule* fog of central CA. Just worked better with that setup.

*TIL it is tule fog not tully fog

The last time I drove my Outback traction was a serious issue, so I’ve been looking for some wider wheels.

I’ve settled on either TE37’s in an 18x9.5”, and doing all of the fitment mods needed, or BBS RF 520’s (18x9” ET45).

wheelPic_7-7-2020_4347.png

What tires/size are you planning to run?

I’m undecided right now because I’d also like to find some coilovers to replace my aging Bilstein BTS setup. I’m currently running 235/45r18’s on 18x8” Enkei Raijin’s. I’m thinking a 265/40r18. What size tire would you recommend?

Edit: Maybe 255/45r18

Edited by WRX USA

You could always send your bilstein shocks for a rebuild/re-valving. I did that when I got mine. Only sent them the rear ones though.

Since then, I replaced the original rear coils with some 500 lbs/inch Eibach from summit racing, since I usually carry heavy loads. Also purchased these sleeves to adjust preload.

You could always send your bilstein shocks for a rebuild/re-valving. I did that when I got mine. Only sent them the rear ones though.

Since then, I replaced the original rear coils with some 500 lbs/inch Eibach from summit racing, since I usually carry heavy loads. Also purchased these sleeves to adjust preload.

How long did the rebuild take? Understood that you had it done pre-COVID and that may impact their turnaround.

Man, that was back in Jan 2017.. Checking my emails, they said 4-6 weeks from date of receipt. Somehow, I don't remember it took that long.

And what I liked is a technician actually called me to find out what I was looking for in terms of the shock performance. I recall that it is important they know the spring rates of the coils.

Why not. With the power you have, lower would be better really IMO. But then again, I know sometimes you may go and hit some forest roads or something.

I forgot to mention that I did add an ADF lift kit on mine too. I think it is 1.5" front and 2" rear. IIRC, center cap to fender lip is about ~43cm at this time. I need to recheck..

KW Tarmacs with 8k/6k from Myles at Racecomp perhaps? After 6 yrs my warranty rebuild took 12 days door to door down to the KW facility in CA.

Those are KW V3’s?

I still have the Outback spacers installed. Will I need to get rid of those?

The tarmacs are KW V1 so single adjustable. Racecomp does have the the double adjustable KW for the STI on their site, probably best to chat with Myles about spec’ing to your platform but don’t see why not. He would most likely have thoughts on use of spacers

What tires/size are you planning to run?

Sorry I can’t help. I’m in a sedan. I run 245/40/18 Dunlop z2 on 18x8.5 Raijin with RCE T1 and a bunch of suspension and fender mods. (A bitch to fit)

Will be purchasing 245/35/18 mps4s OR MP sport cup in the next few weeks.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:30 PM, WRX USA said:

I decided to add Tomei Poncams to my build:

tom_143062_1

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/cams/tom-143062-tomei-poncam-camshafts

A set of these popped up in Facebook marketplace near me (un-used). What has been your experience with these, i.e. drivability, boost buildup, response throughout the RPM range? I'm in the midst of installing a IAG Stage 2 Tuff block but keeping my VF52. They appear to be the mildest cams out there, which seem suited to my use (road trips, occasional track days, joy rides).

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

3 hours ago, Enlight said:

A set of these popped up in Facebook marketplace near me (un-used). What has been your experience with these, i.e. drivability, boost buildup, response throughout the RPM range? I'm in the midst of installing a IAG Stage 2 Tuff block but keeping my VF52. They appear to be the mildest cams out there, which seem suited to my use (road trips, occasional track days, joy rides).

It’s been sitting for almost 2 years, with the only movement being occasionally backed out of the garage and then pulled back in. I was very happy with the power on my setup but I have issues with traction. The mildness/daily drivability of the Poncams is why I chose them. I plan on getting it back on the road in March-April (of this year).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Enlight said:

I also have the Tomei poncams in my motor and have been very happy with them, but I wanted to trade off some low end for more mid/upper range. I feel like they would be an odd choice with a vf52-based setup, but I’ve never seen it tried. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I feel like they would be an odd choice with a vf52-based setup, but I’ve never seen it tried. 

Is this because you feel a larger turbo would benefit more from these cams? My thinking is that Poncams are a nice upgrade to make while my engine is out. My shortblock has so much overhead that a turbo upgrade in the future will require little else in terms of supporting mods. What turbo are you running?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

25 minutes ago, Enlight said:

Is this because you feel a larger turbo would benefit more from these cams? My thinking is that Poncams are a nice upgrade to make while my engine is out. My shortblock has so much overhead that a turbo upgrade in the future will require little else in terms of supporting mods. What turbo are you running?

I have the twinscroll Dom 1.5XTR, and it's not so much that the larger turbo would benefit from the cams but rather that they work together to make the powerband you are looking for. Stock cams and a VF52 are great for low end responsiveness and a heap of midrange torque, but that will fall off as RPMs increase. Putting a cam with more lift and overlap will allow the engine to breathe better at higher RPM, but the turbo may not be running as efficiently trying to hold the same boost targets at a higher flow rate, which would add heat and reduce power. Happy to take the convo to PM or another thread so as not to derail WRX USA's build thread.

• Thanks 1

I found out this week that due to changes with the laws any further tuning from Surgeline will require that I switch out the TGV deletes to something like these: https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-v3-top-feed-tgv-housings-with-butterfly-pass-thru-06-14-wrx-07-sti-07-12-lgt-09-13-fxt/. I was considering switching to an ETS FMIC and bigger injectors.