LegacyGT.com

WRX USA's 09 OBXT Build Thread

WRX USA

Yeah, it's a fun conversation to have with friends and coworkers. LA is the perfect market for electric cars, but if you rent it's much harder to find a place to charge. My office is a brand new tech location and the building proudly brags about it's 5 charging stations for 500+ parking spots. The nearest Supercharger location typically has a 30 minute wait from the times I've visited with my friends. If you can't charge at home, an electric car seems like more trouble than it's worth.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Supply and Demand says it will sort itself out. I'm excited to watch it unfold.

Yeah, it's a fun conversation to have with friends and coworkers. LA is the perfect market for electric cars, but if you rent it's much harder to find a place to charge. My office is a brand new tech location and the building proudly brags about it's 5 charging stations for 500+ parking spots. The nearest Supercharger location typically has a 30 minute wait from the times I've visited with my friends. If you can't charge at home, an electric car seems like more trouble than it's worth.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Supply and Demand says it will sort itself out. I'm excited to watch it unfold.

You definitely bring up a valid point. The the rental and multifamily aspect with EV charging is a hard one to tackle.

In my job, I am actually working with utilities to find solutions for problems like this and there are some. Lack of charging infrastructure is totally a problem.

We do have to remember it took some time to build out the gas station infrastructure back in the day, so electric will come along. Tesla has solved for a lot of the pain points for EV owners, by having their own infrastructure that is conveniently located and also having the mapping in the computer that tells you where to charge up. They are the leader, but there are many OEM's getting into the game and we will see many more EV models in 2020 and 2021.

Amazon and Ford just invested a total of $1.2 billion into this company: https://www.rivian.com/

And they are set to release next year.

I totally agree that it's going to be very fun to watch!

You definitely bring up a valid point. The the rental and multifamily aspect with EV charging is a hard one to tackle.

In my job, I am actually working with utilities to find solutions for problems like this and there are some. Lack of charging infrastructure is totally a problem.

We do have to remember it took some time to build out the gas station infrastructure back in the day, so electric will come along. Tesla has solved for a lot of the pain points for EV owners, by having their own infrastructure that is conveniently located and also having the mapping in the computer that tells you where to charge up. They are the leader, but there are many OEM's getting into the game and we will see many more EV models in 2020 and 2021.

Amazon and Ford just invested a total of $1.2 billion into this company: https://www.rivian.com/

And they are set to release next year.

I totally agree that it's going to be very fun to watch!

The charging network is the most critical part of selling an EV. Tesla is way ahead of other manufacturers with their Supercharger network. I drove the 85D from Portland down to San Diego and then over to Phoenix/Sedona at the beginning of the year and I wasn’t concerned about range at all. Like you said, the navigation will route out where you will need to stop and charge along the way, and estimate your charging times. Since I typically travel with my dog, stopping to charge every couple of hours and get out take a walk is something I would have done anyways. It was also nice that I didn’t have to pay for any charging the entire trip.

I have my eye on Rivian as well, and a reservation on a R1T truck. It would be great if they could work with Tesla to use their charging network. I’m hoping they can start deliveries at the end of next year.

Yeah, I rented a Model s on Turo and drove it from Portland, to Coeur d'alene, ID, over to Seattle and back to Portland. 950 miles without a hiccup. And you bring up another benefit. GETTING OUT OF YOUR CAR! It's not healthy to sit for 5hrs driving. That was another eye opener for me that you get out, walk around and maybe even buy a coffee or lunch where you charge. the free charging from Tesla is a baller benefit.

Yeah, I fear that Tesla is going to have a hard time sharing their network with anybody at this point, because it's a competitive advantage for Tesla owners. In the future that may change.

Wow, so you're getting a Rivian too? Or are you going to get rid of the Model S to get the Rivian?

• 2 weeks later...

I found out online that I didn’t pass the smog test that I took last month and thus couldn’t register. In hindsight it was obvious I was going to fail because I don’t have a battery tender on the Outback and the battery died requiring me to recharge it before I took it to the testing station. Of course none of the sensors were ready because the station is less than a mile from my house.

Today I took it on a drive to try and get all sensors to ready. It was a lot more fun than I remember. I forgot how much torque it has and since its dry I have great traction and I think I toasted the clutch a little (instead of spinning the tires, like it normally does in the wet). I ran the tank to nearly empty to get the ethanol out so that while it sits around I’m not concerned about the ethanol gumming up the fueling system.

This is my new Vizsla puppy, Bob, riding shotgun today. My license plate is “VIZ WAG” since I nearly always have a Vizsla with me when I drive this wagon (and truly any of my cars). It was Bob’s great uncle, Austin, before.

wGR8Jrm_d.jpg?maxwidth=2560&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Edited by WRX USA

• 5 months later...

hey man, with those raijins and the 235/45 what do you think about highway cruising rpm? and at your height are your rolled/cut to avoid rubbing? i assume with your shocks you are slightly lower than stock

Thinking about if i should stick with 225/50 or do a slightly wider 235/45 on those raijins when i drop on bc racing coils and trying to avoid cutting anything to preserve resale. Raijins because i want to add brembo fronts in the future and it seems like they are the few 18x8s that look good from enkei that will clear.

[edit]: enkei reporting the 18x8, 5x100, et45 give only 2mm clearance for big brakes.Thoughts?

Edited by kaitanium

hey man, with those raijins and the 235/45 what do you think about highway cruising rpm? and at your height are your rolled/cut to avoid rubbing?

No issues with highway cruising RPM but I also have the longer gearing in the SpecB 6MT. I have done no trimming, rolling or cutting.

i assume with your shocks you are slightly lower than stock

About 1/2”-1” lower than stock.

Thinking about if i should stick with 225/50 or do a slightly wider 235/45 on those raijins when i drop on bc racing coils and trying to avoid cutting anything to preserve resale. Raijins because i want to add brembo fronts in the future and it seems like they are the few 18x8s that look good from enkei that will clear.

[edit]: enkei reporting the 18x8, 5x100, et45 give only 2mm clearance for big brakes.Thoughts?

I had the version 7 STi wheels on before and I think the tolerance is even tighter. The Enkeis seem to have plenty of clearance and my Brembos look as good as when I put them on.

oh yea forgot you had the 6mt. I guess that helps. Im hoping my revs wont be at 4k if i do my road trips on 235/45s. btw, who did the conversion for your again? Or did you do yourself? I remember you were in norcal before. Hoping to find a shop here that knows what they are doing. I never have any clue who to go to for my larger mods that i cant do myself.

Whats your spare tire like? stock?

Your info gives me confidence to make the go ahead with those raijins! Enkei said ~2mm clearance but you are saying "plenty" so hoping enkei is just being conservative. Thanks!

Your revs shouldn't be near 4k while highway cruising with 235/45's unless you're really bookin' it. I run 18x8.5 Raijins with 245/40s in the summer and I'm right around 3.5k at 80mph.

gotcha. i was just exaggerating a bit. Someone once told me that these engines dont mind running high revs but they are susceptible to heat. Not sure if thats an accurate generalization or not. I do see my temp guage go up when doing long highway climbs/grades.

i assume with 245/40 you are rolled/cut? (if lowered)?

My engine temp has always stayed consistent and I've never seen it go above half-way up the gauge even when I give it the business in summertime. I've heard that generalization as well but personally haven't experienced it myself. Depending on my driving and season I'll see my oil temps fluctuate from anywhere between 90°-113° celsius.

All 4 corners are rolled, koni shocks, swift lowering springs and whiteline com c top hats up front for some extra adjustability. If i remember my alignment specs correctly camber is front -1.2 & rear -1.7. The fronts never rubbed after the roll and com c top hats. Rears would rub if I had a ton of cargo or 3 grown adults in the rear, sometimes 2 depending on the adult.

oh yea forgot you had the 6mt. I guess that helps. Im hoping my revs wont be at 4k if i do my road trips on 235/45s. btw, who did the conversion for your again? Or did you do yourself? I remember you were in norcal before. Hoping to find a shop here that knows what they are doing. I never have any clue who to go to for my larger mods that i cant do myself.

Whats your spare tire like? stock?

Your info gives me confidence to make the go ahead with those raijins! Enkei said ~2mm clearance but you are saying "plenty" so hoping enkei is just being conservative. Thanks!

The swap was done by IQ Autoworks in Campbell. I was lucky enough to have the donor SpecB on the next lift to make sure they got everything that was needed. They probably still have my 5MT and rear diff, and even the motor out of the SpecB. I traded them my parts to offset their labor, and because I knew they would just be taking up space in my garage.

I still have the stock spare, which I probably need to reassess if I get bigger tires. I took out the storage tray above the spare to get more space and maybe I should ditch the spare.

• 2 weeks later...
Saw you in the wagon yesterday. Maybe leaving costco. Could see that you're still enjoying it!

Yup, I was dropping off a part at Car Toys for my Tesla. I was smiling but my pup was freaking out because of the noise and vibration. Also, that was the first time in months that I’ve taken it out of the garage.

Edited by WRX USA

• 1 year later...

Extensive work, beautiful car. Just wanted to pop in and say that this is very inspiring for when I go and start modding mine. Ive been wanting to do the IAG stage 2 tuff as well, but will wait until my stock engine starts to give way a bit more. Currently i lose a good amount of oil when the car cold but no gasket failures yet.

Hope you are doing well and the car still gets some love from time to time.

someting you dont have !:)

[ATTACH]265412[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]265413[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]265414[/ATTACH]

I know this is a very old post.. Is anyone here able to advise on how to make these buttons functional? I was not able to figure out what parts I would need to make the middle and right buttons functional.

I know this is a very old post.. Is anyone here able to advise on how to make these buttons functional? I was not able to figure out what parts I would need to make the middle and right buttons functional.

As far as I could determine, you need to have a button in that spot and not a blank.

• 2 months later...