LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

yeh, it's a relatively minor thing, and maybe i overeact a bit 2 posts up, but I don't think so; it's a trend i see in subaru's reaction to f-ups that they should man-up and accept responsibility for.

the wording of this tsb is appropriately apologetic for the admitted and well understood fault, right up to the point where they exclude probably 90% of the cars affected by it; the result of it all is something i find particularly insulting.

with respect to the notion that original warranty coverage = applicability: really, these aren't the kinds of things 3 years or 30K will change/impact.

also these are relatively inexpensive remedies (despite the inflated retail pricetags) that just highlight soa's miserly attitude up to and including indifference to their best customers.

btw, my car does have the filter blank built in, but is outside the covered vin sequence; I'm sure there are many in the same boat.

They DID "man-up".

Very few were built with the original PITA replacement kit. It was already unobtanium when I ordered in 7/2004.

It isn't impossible with the original setup, the TSB just makes it easier, a la the later kit (which I eventually had installed).

I don't see your venom. They did fine, and IMHO more than they could have done for the original kit.

If this is their "worst" prblem (which it's not), they are far ahead of every other mfr.

Ron

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my venom comes only partially from ripping apart my dash every interval to change a filter that SOA acknowledged culpability for, cowtowed obsequiously for in writing to a small percentage of the affected owners, and simply slammed the cashier drawer on the remainder. the remaining bulk of my venom comes from seeing this relatively minor issue for what it is: a trend, that is applicable, in soa's mind, to more serious issues like the oil pickup, etc.

they will have "manned-up" when all of the models affected with all of their admitted faults have been offered remedy at their expense, rather than falsely limiting which models are affected, and forcing those customers to either pay for remedy, or live on with the inconvenience/consequences.

i don't ask for much, and hardy ever bitch about subaru as a mfr.; but i hate being lied to, especially in a bold way such as this. now that i feel it affect myself, even in a small way, i feel a right to vent.

bottom line: my car has the problem, and is not covered by a tsb which apologizes for the exact fault it has, and offers coverage to some affected models. why should I have to pay for the remedy, while others with the same fault are apologized to, and covered?

Interesting, mine was an early 05 as well but the in cabin filter was a dealer installed option, not a factory option. Later I learned about the TSB here for the retrofit kit, requested it and had it upgraded under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

i bought my car with 7000 miles on it as SOA exec car. Since then, I drove it 45k more and decided it was about time to swap out my cabin filter.

i was very curious to see how disgusting it would be...

to my disbelief...

not only was it clean... but actually missing :eek:

I have an 05 LGTL 5MT wagon. How do I find out if it has a cabin air filter? Thanks.

sorry. i should clarify. the cabin air filter slot was there, but there was no filter to be found. i was able to put in the fram 10132 no problem. i am guessing the last owner went to have the feet smell fixed, and their fix was to remove the filter and not replace it :confused:

sorry. i should clarify. the cabin air filter slot was there, but there was no filter to be found. i was able to put in the fram 10132 no problem. i am guessing the last owner went to have the feet smell fixed, and their fix was to remove the filter and not replace it :confused:

Sounds lke typical dealer SOP.

Ron

Can I see the air filter if I pull out the thing in the glovebox?

if you pull the 'owner's manual cubby' thing out and shine a light in, you can see the filter tray behind the metal dash support, which, if you have small hands that you aren't afraid to scratch up a bit, you'll find you can reach in and pull the plastic filter tray (that your filter would sit in if you had one) out juuuust enough to tell you what you know in your heart already: you gotta take apart the whole shebang to get it done ;).

you'd want to take it all apart anyway, at least the first time, to clean out all the crap/dust that has been accumulating in there for lack of a filter.

• 1 month later...
very very short list of affected cars :confused:

yeah, no kidding. mine definitely didn't have the air filter, nor did it have the conversion kit, but i'm not listed in the qualifying vin list. wtf?

yeah, no kidding. mine definitely didn't have the air filter, nor did it have the conversion kit, but i'm not listed in the qualifying vin list. wtf?

Because the original owner had to pay to have the option package installed (like I did).

I tried to order it in late July '04, but they already stopped production of the original package, which only had to affect a few cars, since production on the new '05 didn't start until June '04 IIRC.

It wasn't avalable again with the new conversion package in early '05, or sometime around then (don't recall exactly when I had it installed).

Ron

i bought my car with 7000 miles on it as SOA exec car. Since then, I drove it 45k more and decided it was about time to swap out my cabin filter.

i was very curious to see how disgusting it would be...

to my disbelief...

not only was it clean... but actually missing :eek:

LOL, I bought my car at 25K miles...family owned...not mods done. I decided to put the Zero/Sports cabin airfilter in and the shop that installed it said there was no filter there at all too! :mad::lol::mad:

My 05 wagon didnt have that update panel or whatever so they had to take apart my center console too. He said it was a PITA to do so.

I seem to recall someone posted a money-saving piece about the cabin air-filter. He said "the cabin air filter for the (Insert Car Manufacturer Name Here) is the same size as the Legacy's, and it's cheaper"... Does anyone recall that post? Could you direct me to it?

thanks,

Jim

• 1 month later...

I just got my car from 2 previous owners, and after 3 days of driving my dash is COVERED with dust. This will be tomorrow's project, as I LOVE diy stuff! I'll probably put a few layers of duct tape around the filter I make to seal it to the edges, unless it doesn't seem necessary when I get in there.

Word!

Thanks for the write up! I did mine last night, took about an hour. Should not have done it in the dark with a flashlight...As soon as I replaced the filter, the air was so much cleaner. Here are pics of the filter and my replacement.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs176.snc1/6620_553023290134_40301268_32966053_3022055_n.jpg

And here is the replacement.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs196.snc1/6620_553023305104_40301268_32966054_397819_n.jpg

Archived