LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is alot of work to get to the cabin filter.. WTF

If you've not done the retrofit yet you are correct it's a PITA. But once it's done changing the filter takes maybe about 5 minutes.

Are they still offering free retro fits from the recall?

AFAIK it was never free, unless you had one of the rare, very early, '05s. I ordered mine with it, and didn't get it since they put them on hold back in 7/04. Had to pay the next year to have the new kit installed.

Ron

AFAIK it was never free, unless you had one of the rare, very early, '05s. I ordered mine with it, and didn't get it since they put them on hold back in 7/04. Had to pay the next year to have the new kit installed.

I bought mine a year ago. This is all covered earlier in the thread but mine was made in 10/04 so had only the filter carrier and no way to easily access it. When I decided to take it apart to see if it was worth buying the part for the retrofit I discovered that the glove box back that is supposed to have the access hole in it already had the outline for the hole on the back of the casting. A little careful work with a saw and I had the correct part. I had only had the car for a month or so and with a black interior it was easy to notice the difference in the amount of dust on the dash even in that short time of comparison. Changed mine again yesterday. I should have timed it but I think it took about 5 minutes.

what's the retro???

Basically it's a hole in the glove box back below the manual cubby. In order to get the glove box back out you have to start loosening or removing things at the rear of the console and work your way forward to the right side of the control panel. Once the hole is in the panel and everything is back together changing the filter is simple. Apparently Subaru has some sort of kit that replaces the glove box back with a new one and I seem to recall somebody saying that there are some other parts that comes with it as well. It's pretty easy to check and see if you already have the hole or need to make one.

yea mine was empty too just the holder. bought the filter from fbp and it didnt fit rite...wasted 20 bucks ,next time im cutting out the purple 3m hvac filter.

That's what I did. I got 6 filters for about $20. I've changed them about every 7500 miles and am now down to 2 remaining.

Haha, you're crazy if you pull that all apart every 7500! 2005's are such a PITA :(

:confused: It takes me <5 minutes start to finish to change the filter. I could probably let it go somewhat longer but in that amount of time and for what it costs me, the filter has gathered enough dirt and debris to make it worth making the change.

• 1 month later...

Here's something I found on google "how to replace the cabin air filter on 2009 subaru legacy"

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmphotos/CAF.pdf

I left that black L shaped piece out until I swing by Home-Depot and pick up a big piece of filter material.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

:ugh: i feel like firebombing someone's house for this!

who'd the designer and who's the douche who allowed this to pass?

took me 5-min to replace the cabin air filter in my wife's 09 forester.

i THINK it might have taken 10-min with my 02 WRX and the wife's 03 Forester. now i have to rip apart the center console and dash to get to my filter?!

Anyone know if the 2008 parts mentioned in http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1221564&postcount=9 indeed work for very early 2005 legacies? My poor mechanic was pretty sad at the effort it took to replace the cabin air filter. I do have allergies and would like this added filtration, and I should be able to change it myself if I could get the install to be a bit less involved.

:ugh: i feel like firebombing someone's house for this!

who'd the designer and who's the douche who allowed this to pass?

took me 5-min to replace the cabin air filter in my wife's 09 forester.

i THINK it might have taken 10-min with my 02 WRX and the wife's 03 Forester. now i have to rip apart the center console and dash to get to my filter?!

I think you mean you have to rip apart your console and dash to install your filter in the first place. ;)

Very few 2005's came with one. My 2005 wagon did not. :( Are you sure yours did?

I think you mean you have to rip apart your console and dash to install your filter in the first place. ;)

Very few 2005's came with one. My 2005 wagon did not. :( Are you sure yours did?

LOL. that might be it. i have a filter ready to go. just need to pull it all apart.

haven't read through all 300+ posts in the thread, but am REALLY looking forward to the retro fit.

If I recall correctly you need more than just the filter itself to add it to a 2005. Maybe you have the whole kit already, I'm just not certain from your wording. I figure you don't want to tear it apart only to find that you have to wait for more parts to finish the job :)

unfortunately, that's not mine. it's from the OP.

no idea if i have one in there or not. i did just replace the cabin filter in my wife's 09 forester yesterday. i'll save the tray to see if i can use it.

Argh! So I'm trying to cut out the back of my glove compartment's backing so that I don't have to take apart the entire dash. I tried to do it like this guy:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2706703&postcount=254

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=2304

But I still can't get the tray out! The front left edge where the hook/clip thingee is keeps getting caught on the very edge of the box. Did I not cut out enough?? I'm going nuts here. Might just fork over the money for the retrofit kit.

Argh! So I'm trying to cut out the back of my glove compartment's backing so that I don't have to take apart the entire dash. I tried to do it like this guy:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2706703&postcount=254

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=2304

But I still can't get the tray out! The front left edge where the hook/clip thingee is keeps getting caught on the very edge of the box. Did I not cut out enough?? I'm going nuts here. Might just fork over the money for the retrofit kit.

You might not have cut enough. There was an outline on the back of my glove box rear that was the exact size that the hole needs to be. Mine never just pulls straight out, it takes a little judicious movement into position to clear the hole.

Anyone know if the 2008 parts mentioned in http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1221564&postcount=9 indeed work for very early 2005 legacies? My poor mechanic was pretty sad at the effort it took to replace the cabin air filter. I do have allergies and would like this added filtration, and I should be able to change it myself if I could get the install to be a bit less involved.

The poster of that message said he put the parts in his '05 so my guess is that they will indeed work. I would hope that once it was all apart somebody did some sort of retrofit to make the next change easier. I sure would be sad as well if I had to take apart the console every time I wanted to change the filter. It wouldn't happen as often as it does now. I had only had the car about a month when I did the retrofit and noticed an immediate difference in the amount of dust on the dash with the filter in.

I think that the filter carrier is present even if they didn't originally install the filter element. I don't recall ever reading of anybody who got in there and found no carrier but of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

I think that the filter carrier is present even if they didn't originally install the filter element. I don't recall ever reading of anybody who got in there and found no carrier but of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Seriously? So they did everything necessary in the cabin air path for a filter down to the carrier but couldn't be bothered to include the actual filter?

I guess that shouldn't surprise me, given that once they did include a filter they neglected to include a way to swap it. (Disassembling the dash does NOT count.) Sigh. Sometimes Subaru boggles the mind.

The dust on my LGT's dashboard always annoyed me too. It was covered again within a day or three of wiping it clean.

Sorry, I know this is OT, I just had to vent.

Seriously? So they did everything necessary in the cabin air path for a filter down to the carrier but couldn't be bothered to include the actual filter?

I guess that shouldn't surprise me, given that once they did include a filter they neglected to include a way to swap it. (Disassembling the dash does NOT count.) Sigh. Sometimes Subaru boggles the mind.

The dust on my LGT's dashboard always annoyed me too. It was covered again within a day or three of wiping it clean.

Sorry, I know this is OT, I just had to vent.

Not sure I've ever said this here before, STUPID SUBARU.

It's just one more part of our love/hate relationship with these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived