LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there even a spot for one? (I expect not.) Most 2005 Legacies did not come with a cabin air filter.

A few did come with a filter, or at least were supposed to. IIRC their VINs were listed in a TSB to make the filter more easily accessible, because even the factory arrangement in those late 2005 builds required taking apart parts of the dashboard to replace the filter.

FYI, I got an email from subaru talking about a $15 instant rebate on the cabin filter installs.

Even with that I think I'll stick to doing this myself...... I had a dealer do the previous filter then I did the last one and I found several fasteners missing.

Stupid question. Does the 05 LGT have this filter? I called my parts dept and they didnt locate it.

I know my '05 was a January build and it has a cabin air filter, but I am the second owner and not sure if maybe the original owner had it added somehow.

The cabin filter was an option on '05s. When I ordered mine in late July '04, they already had suspended the installation of the original cabin filter option, as that's the one that took 10 slaves and 2 donkeys a week to replace. The option was suspended when I ordered.

Early in '05, it again became available and I had the dealer install the revised kit.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

did this on my '06 Legacy today using thishttp://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=827852&postcount=2

and, let me tell you, I couldn't believe how much crud was in there... going to be much easier next time too...

Parking outside SUCKS

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing that a thread that started almost 6 years ago is still getting action. I just bought an '05 XT wagon and looking for info on the cabin air filter ended up here. After reading this as well as a number of other similar threads I decided this morning to take things apart and investigate if it was worth spending the money on a retrofit kit or the '08 parts. I needed both a print-out of the first few posts of this thread and the official Subaru instructions for their shop people. I couldn't have done it as well with only one or the other.

At least for my build date and trim (10/04/leather boot on e-brake) one thing to add to the description for #1. I left the e-brake boot intact and had some difficulty with the pins that hold down the front where it's connected to the shifter area. It was actually relatively easy to get it disengaged but you need to pull the pins (a challenge in itself) and put them in the slots to do the re-install.

Once I got it all apart, like others, I found a filter carrier but no filter. It's different than the one shown in the video in that there is no top grid, the filter just lays in the tray. It won't pull straight out due to a metal brace mentioned in another thread but there's enough clearance to get it out without much difficulty.

Now for what I think is the most remarkable. As I looked at the back of the glove box back I noticed a raised outline of a rectangle. Comparison to the location of the filter carrier convinced me that this was the exact location for the access hole. Either the hole was there in the die and when Subaru canceled the air filter option in mid-04 they patched it to make a solid panel or probably more likely, since originally this was to be an option, the die makers marked the piece to make it easy for a technician or factory worker to make the hole for the option. I did it on the bench with my battery circular saw and cleaned up the edge with sandpaper in less than 10 minutes.

I'm a happy guy, thanks to this forum. It took about 2 hours and I may end up buying the newer carrier with the upper grid but I've saved myself over $100 just in parts and after I buy and cut the filter element I'll have a cabin air filter. And because my model predates having the 3 screws on the right side and the upper brace that also requires 3 screws to be removed, my filter is easier to change than even the models that came with it installed.

Subadozer, do you have any pics of this die area. I am curious. I never noticed it. I have an early 05 too but was eligible for the retrofit kit way back when under warranty.

Subadozer, do you have any pics of this die area. I am curious. I never noticed it. I have an early 05 too but was eligible for the retrofit kit way back when under warranty.

No I was so thrilled to find it and anxious to get the thing back together that I made the cut before thinking about taking a picture of it. The outline would be formed by scribing a line in the molding die, which would result in what I saw, a raised line on the back of the part. It resembles a small weld line. This afternoon I picked up the best Filtrete filter I could find. It 's their 1900 performance rating, "Maximum Allergen" and claims to capture odor-carrying particles, which I'm hoping will help a bit with the smoke odor from the previous owner.

I cut it up into 6 filters and bagged up 5 for future use. One other nice feature of this particular filter is that it has a wire grid on both sides, which gives it some strength as well as holding the filter to the cut size. I used shear-type sheet metal snips to make the cuts so the wire didn't present much of a challenge. Now that I've got the filters, especially with the wire mesh I don't think I'm going to need that new carrier at all. Net cost for my retrofit $21.17 and that includes 5 spare filters.

You should have use the Absorber available at Target. It doesn't have a frame which makes it easier to cut since it was design to be cut to fit. You can get 6 for approx $12 and it has activated charcoal to help absorb odors.

You should have use the Absorber available at Target. It doesn't have a frame which makes it easier to cut since it was design to be cut to fit. You can get 6 for approx $12 and it has activated charcoal to help absorb odors.

You are correct but I was pressed for time and wanted to get this done today. There is a Lowe's close by where I was going to be already and the Target is about the same distance in the opposite direction from home. When I run out of the ones I have I'll try the Absorber. It'll be a good comparison but will probably be at least a couple years with the supply I have.

• 1 month later...

Well, I just took apart my dash to perform this bit of clean-up since there was a lot of dust in my car. There was NO filter. That explains a lot. What they hell was the guy thinking to take all that apart and not either leave it in to replace. Hoser.

Thanks for the write up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I just took apart my dash to perform this bit of clean-up since there was a lot of dust in my car. There was NO filter. That explains a lot. What they hell was the guy thinking to take all that apart and not either leave it in to replace. Hoser.

I think that we have determined that many/all/early/some (one of the above) 05's got the filter holder and setup when they were assembled but never got the access hole or filter element. On the back of the glovebox back I even found the outline of where the hole should have been when I took mine apart. I believe that yours is included in this group and that you are likely the first person to see that empty filter holder since the car was assembled. You will likely notice a difference in the interior dust in your car. I had only had mine for a few weeks or less when I did my retrofit and did notice a difference in the amount of dust on the top of the dash. Well worth the effort.

I bought the 3m furnace filter that claims to reduce odor. The previous owner smoked and the smell in our car was objectionable. Between occasionally using the small can of spray ionizer, which I sometimes spray into the exterior air intake) and the carbon in the air filter the smoke odor seems to be less noticeable. It didn't hurt the situation either that when I had the console torn apart to install the cabin filter I was able to clean out ashes and a butt that I found underneath as well as pulling the ashtray parts and washing them out in the sink with a pine cleaner.

what does the spray can ionizer do?

The ionizer is supposed to help in eradicating the odors. I don't know the principle behind it but figured that with recirculation the smoke had probably coated the ducting in the car. My assumption is that spraying the ionizer into the air intake with the blower running on full was one way to get it into the system and hopefully lessen the smells. This along with just spraying it in the car according to the directions on the can seems to have helped with lessening the smell. I got the ionizer at Advance and I think it was less than $5. It's a pretty small can but I've used it a number of times, probably more even than the directions indicate, and still have some left.

The ionizer is supposed to help in eradicating the odors. I don't know the principle behind it but figured that with recirculation the smoke had probably coated the ducting in the car. My assumption is that spraying the ionizer into the air intake with the blower running on full was one way to get it into the system and hopefully lessen the smells. This along with just spraying it in the car according to the directions on the can seems to have helped with lessening the smell. I got the ionizer at Advance and I think it was less than $5. It's a pretty small can but I've used it a number of times, probably more even than the directions indicate, and still have some left.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a gallon of Denatured Alcohol, and a cheap spray bottle.

Soak down the ENTIRE interior, especially the cloth parts (including the headliner), then blot up the excess with disposable rags or paper towels.

That will help a lot, and may correct the issue.

Ron

• 2 months later...

Archived