LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the cabin filter at my local NAPA auto part for around $27. I have an 2005 legacy 2.5i wagon. The glovebox method seemed overally complex. Instead, I was able replace it through the front hood.

1. Open up front hood.

2. On the passenger side of the car, focus your attention to the large plastic panel which runs against the windshield. (The wiper assembly goes through this large panel. Passenger side of this panel needs to be lifted up. Directly below this panel, on the passenger side, lays the filter and can be easily removed and replaced through the fresh air opening.

3. Remove the small "corner" plastic panel which holds down the larger panel on the passenger side of the car. There are three snaps .

4. Locate the long weatherstripping which frames the large panel towards towards front of the car. It seals up against the hood when the hood is closed. This weather stripping holds down the most of the large panel as well. Again, this is held down with plastic snaps from "inside of the weather stripping". To get these snaps out, push the snaps from underneath to get then popped out. Dont pull on the weather stripping itself it will tear the weather stripping and leave the snaps in still attached to the car, or break the head of the snaps. You only need to remove between 1/3 to 1/2 the snaps (passenger side) and you should have no problem getting in your arm to get to the cabin filter.

• 4 weeks later...
I found the cabin filter at my local NAPA auto part for around $27. I have an 2005 legacy 2.5i wagon. The glovebox method seemed overally complex. Instead, I was able replace it through the front hood.

1. Open up front hood.

2. On the passenger side of the car, focus your attention to the large plastic panel which runs against the windshield. (The wiper assembly goes through this large panel. Passenger side of this panel needs to be lifted up. Directly below this panel, on the passenger side, lays the filter and can be easily removed and replaced through the fresh air opening.

3. Remove the small "corner" plastic panel which holds down the larger panel on the passenger side of the car. There are three snaps .

4. Locate the long weatherstripping which frames the large panel towards towards front of the car. It seals up against the hood when the hood is closed. This weather stripping holds down the most of the large panel as well. Again, this is held down with plastic snaps from "inside of the weather stripping". To get these snaps out, push the snaps from underneath to get then popped out. Dont pull on the weather stripping itself it will tear the weather stripping and leave the snaps in still attached to the car, or break the head of the snaps. You only need to remove between 1/3 to 1/2 the snaps (passenger side) and you should have no problem getting in your arm to get to the cabin filter.

I'm about ready to replace mine in the '08. I like your method. Going to look at it today.

**Just to update this post. On the 08 it is impossible to go in from the front. Even with the panel and cowl carefully removed, there is no way to access or remove the filter using this method. Interior glove box had to come down/off in order to R&R.

Help.

I've got the 05 and I can't stand the pollen anymore so I tried to install the air filter. I was able to get many parts off but got stuck at step 3 where you remove the center console. I removed the 2 bolts in the center of the console. Then it says to pull up at the front. There are 2 white plastic pins holding it down in the front. You can only see one of them on the left side. Well, I tried pulling up and I couldn't get it to go. I was afraid something was going to break. How is it done?

MightyS, it just takes force, although if you pull the pin on the drivers side first (with either a panel popper or flathead screwdriver) it will be easier to up-pop. I am putting mine back together from the radio install and these instructions are dead on for the 2008 as well.

Thanks for your help marvnmars.

For step 3, I used a wide flathead screwdriver and wedged it between the flat console tab and the white flange of the plastic pin. I turned the screwdriver and the pin relased easily.

I installed a 3M furnace filter. The airflow is only slightly reduced. The sound of the air through the vents is a bit louder though. The good thing is the dust and pollen did not blow in like it used to when I started the car.

I apprechaite your thanks, but dimil started this and has given us all the guidence necessary to change or make a new filter. I understand being afraid to pull too hard, just be careful when putting back together and having to push too hard....I have learned the hard way that this is worse...lol. Congratulations on doing this mod, you will really be thankful of it as the pollin does NOT fill the inside of your car this summer (just be careful about leaving your sunroof open).

• 1 month later...
Did mine a couple of wknds ago....disgusting! What a pain in the rear! But the air has a much better quality to it...I'm loving it!
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 4 weeks later...

I did a boo-boo. On the side where the glovebox door hinge detaches, so the left one as you're sitting in the car ... I broke the male part that secures it up, so now, sometimes, when I close the glovebox it falls out of that hinge. Any hints no how to fix it? I still have the part, super glue didn't work but again I think I have a crappy one, I'm gonna try that Gorilla glue.

The filter replacement thing is definitely a 20 minute job the first time, 10 minutes second time :D

Anyways, here's a tip guys, if it hasn't been posted already. Before you put the filter in, grab your favorite car scent oil and drip some on it :D I did it with mine, not sure how long it will last but it sure is nice to have that aroma coming into the car in a consistent and even manner.

I didn't feel like reading the whole way through but I went and did this last weekend and found out that my cabin filter cage was empty... Anyone else have this issue?

I think my car is a late 2004 or early 2005 build if that matters.

Mine was a June 2004 build and it had the microfilter. If you have the actual cage and the actual frame to hold the filter, somebody probably forgot to put the microfilter in, either at service or at the dealer.

I am also lucky enough to have the "easy change" kit, so I don't have to tear apart half of dashboard.

As a personal opinion, the OEM Subaru air filter seems to be rather coarse, as in ... it permits lotsa particles getting through. I'd rather have a slightly finer one in it's place. For my next replacement I am going the route of a DYI microfilter of my choosing, paying attention to not opt for one TOO fine and in turn get poor vent performance. I'm sure it's a delicate balance of the two: filtration power vs performance. Kinda like the intake filtration system :D

But, can anyone offer some suggestions for my little problem above?

Now i'm confused again. You say the cage and the frame. Is the filter supposed to be sandwiched between 2 peices? I thought it should have two parts when I first pulled the tray out but it felt pretty secure with just the tabs going over the filter so I threw it back in like that.

I used the 3M furnace filters just like in the OPs picture. A little bit of a pain to work with but I think it will be fine as far as vent performance is concerned.

Now i'm confused again. You say the cage and the frame. Is the filter supposed to be sandwiched between 2 peices? I thought it should have two parts when I first pulled the tray out but it felt pretty secure with just the tabs going over the filter so I threw it back in like that.

I used the 3M furnace filters just like in the OPs picture. A little bit of a pain to work with but I think it will be fine as far as vent performance is concerned.

no the only part you pull out is the black tray your filter just sits inside of it.

Archived