LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

Yep, I'm screwed.

Sucks to be me I guess.. *sigh*

I remember putting the air filter in on my '05 Celica..undo a couple of bolts that limit how far the glovebox opens, squeeze 2 tabs and pull.. easy as pie. I'm afraid it'll be alot more complicated for the LGT.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Job Dimil!!! I just did mine and I had my laptop in my car with all the pics so I could follow along. I managed to get everything back together but lost a screw, managed to fine one out of my stash that would work so no biggy. Also didn't manage to reconnect that little plastic part on the right side of the glove box that hung on after the box came down. Didn't seem like a big deal though.

Anyone else notice a notch cut out of the filter tray on the right side? I imagine it was to help with inserting it in and removing it since the glove box mount is welded in to the car right in the path of the tray coming out. I heard a crack when I removed the tray, not sure what it was but didn't seem to do any damage to anything. I also managed to crack the right side cover that no one will see until they open the passenger door. Be careful when you twist this thing. Dimil did have a warning in his walkthrough.

All and all seems pretty good, wish Subie would have centred that thing right behind the manual tray , it would have been so much easier. Airflow seems to have slowed down a notch but that is ok, I did find the fan quite violent at the higher end before putting in the filter.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
One thing I know is, as far as 5MT '06 LGT's, it is not necessary to remove the entire center console. Simply start the procedure by grasping underneath the rear end of the shifter housing trim (stick your fingers down into the leather boot) and carefully give it a quick pop up.
ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

• 1 month later...
One thing I know is, as far as 5MT '06 LGT's, it is not necessary to remove the entire center console. Simply start the procedure by grasping underneath the rear end of the shifter housing trim (stick your fingers down into the leather boot) and carefully give it a quick pop up.

Hmm. I couldn't figure out how to free the rear end of the trim that is to the right of the shifter without following the original instructions.

I had some trouble in step 3 of the original instructions:

3 Pull front of console up (it's hold in place by 2 pins - only 1 visible here)' date=' and move whole console to the back about 2 inches.[/quote']

I couldn't get the hidden white pins to give up. I ended up partly busting one of them. Anybody know a nicer way to separate the cupholder section from the shifter section?

The rest of the instructions went ok.

I thought i'd try making my own retrofit rather than paying for the updated rear piece of the glove compartment. I used a dremel to cut along the lines etched on the back of the trim piece. It is possible the hole could be made slightly narrower (not as far towards the steering wheel) as the cutout suggests, but I didn't experiment.

Anyhow, my dremel retrofit seems to work -does anybody know what I'll be missing by not having the metal piece?

As a tip already mentioned in this post - it isn't a bad idea to use electrical tape to protect center console trim pieces from scratching each other. Also, consider taking the wedding ring off. I didn't until it was a little late in the process :(

Anyway I can get a filter system installed if my 2005 LGT wagon doesn't have one, or did it have to come original from factory? Thoughts?

P.S. Thanks for the great original write up and others' input.

When I had mine in for the wheel bearing a few weeks ago, I had them install a cabin filter kit (I originally tried to order it on the car in July '04, but that's right when they discontinued the original one).

Total cost was just over $150 (~$50 for the parts, $100 for labor)

Ron

I've tried to look up parts but all I find is the filters. So you had the entire unit installed? (E.g. I'm assuming there was just a straight piece of duct or something, and they installed a "box" where you could fit a filter.) Thanks.

When I had mine in for the wheel bearing a few weeks ago, I had them install a cabin filter kit (I originally tried to order it on the car in July '04, but that's right when they discontinued the original one).

Total cost was just over $150 (~$50 for the parts, $100 for labor)

They installed the "kit" (whatever that means, as nothing was in place prior to that). From this point on, I assume it's just a filter change. I haven't spent the time to remove the glovebox to see what's there.

IIRC, the part number(s) for the "new" kit were posted somewhere back this thread (or in one of these threads).

Ron

• 4 months later...

I take it you haven't put in the Subaru fix or your own fix to get easy access to the filter? Once you do that, you can make about 8 filters from one furnace filter (that's about $3/filter for top-notch 3M filter). Also, you might want to try just taking out your cubby in the glove compartment and seeing if you can pull out the filter tray a little and squeeze one in there--one guy was successful with that.

Past that, if you're going to pay for a OEM Subaru filter, then obviously it's a good deal ($10 for them to take apart your trim and glove compartment.

After that, I'd buy the Subaru "fix" for access (kind of junky, but it does the job and you can't see the "junky" part (get rid of their cloth cover though and go with my example of hard plastic)), then you can install your $3 filters easily every 3 to 6 months.

• 9 months later...

the panels are very compliant vs. other interiors i've battled :)

you shouldn't have any issues; it's pretty easy to 'feel' your way through it -- just don't force anything. if you need to pry

try to go from somewhere that won't be visible when reassembled.

sorry i can't be more specific, from lack of memory.

best of luck.

if you have a MT Transmission you can actually get away with grabbing the rear trim that is at the rear section of the "leather" shift boot. Sorry if that doesnt make sense but I don't know how to put it into better words.

• 2 months later...
I take it you haven't put in the Subaru fix or your own fix to get easy access to the filter? Once you do that, you can make about 8 filters from one furnace filter (that's about $3/filter for top-notch 3M filter).

I just changed my filter last night but what I did was add an Activated Carbon Pre-Filter pad to the 3M filter. I'll see if it helps with oders. Sure can't hurt.

Archived