LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't take a Dremel to the panel behind the glovebox and cut a slot there?

There doesn't seem like there's anything back there anyway and the hole would be covered by the glovebox.

In essence, I'd be creating my own retrofit kit. Seriously, I could easily Dremel an opening to look like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=26409&d=1161725901

My thoughts exactly.

I tackled my 08 Outback wagon filter change in 5 minutes today and then hit the wall on the 05 Outback wagon. No way am I going to take the car apart to change that filter. I can see how they got smart in the 08 and provided the access panel and I don't see any reason not to dremel my own access panel. Is the right side metal bracket still going to be in the way after I cut my access opening?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies and Gents:

I present to you my cabin air filter after 56,380 miles:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14657_678750940526_1504734_41230462_8217688_n.jpg

Evidently the previous owner had decided not to replace it himself after he drove through Pompeii a few days after the eruption. I guess that he wanted to collect as much black soot as possible through the intake. It looks like a dragon sneezed on it. I know that turbo engines pull in more air, and therefore more junk, but great Caeser's ghost...

I had the dealership replace it while I was in there for other things, which rang in at $75. The part itself was $35, plus labor, which seems ok to me considering the time intensity involved. I may try it myself next time around.

I did it! I dremeled the back of the glove box holder to allow easier access to the filter in the future.

First, check out the world's nastiest cabin air filter. I just bought the car with 55,000 miles on it. I think mice were living in there since there were droppings and stuff. A shop vac does wonders for cleanup. I removed the fan and cleaned it out too - no more loud buzzing noise from the fan.

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=2305

After removing the glove box holder, I marked the cutting area to make sure it was aligned and that the filter would fit through.

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=2306

This is what the glove box holder looks like after cutting. Be sure to remove the actual glove box out of the holder since you might accidentally cut the glove box through the panel.

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=2304

And then here's my new 3M Filtrete filter.

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=2307

I went with the method of going in from under the hood. Took about 10 minutes. It was very easy to get to the filter, but have one question. There were two plastic strips going over the filter flap that accessed the filter. My question is what did these strips do because when I lifted up the cover to remove the filter they broke away. Do I need to use a piece of tape to keep the flap closed or does it open and close freely?

I went with the method of going in from under the hood. Took about 10 minutes. It was very easy to get to the filter, but have one question. There were two plastic strips going over the filter flap that accessed the filter. My question is what did these strips do because when I lifted up the cover to remove the filter they broke away. Do I need to use a piece of tape to keep the flap closed or does it open and close freely?

I had previously taken the dash apart enough to see what a mess lay ahead when I finally got a filter in hand. There was no retrofit done on my car AND no filter when I peeked into the unit.

Today I ventured in under the hood of my 05 OB.

Boy is that hood access easy!

I still didn't have a filter today and was just exploring.

To answer your question: Not sure about those plastic strips. I was actually thinking of just cutting a filter and slipping it in under the strips without even sliding the tray out!

I'm not sure how much structural integrity those two plastic strips added to the frame but I'm not an engineer and should you timing belt let loose at 90 mph I bear no responsibility.

The air flow is down through the unit and it is unlikely that thing will come flying back out and where would it go anyway?

Now I'm puzzled. I took the engine compartment route.

You refer to a "cover" and "flap". My 05 OB came with a filter box but no filter element so when I removed the cowling I could look right in past those two plastic strips and see through to the fan below? I didn't see any "filter flap". I can feel where the Subaru filter element would clip into place but I am more inclined to cut a piece of furnace filter and slide it in (83,000 miles w/o a filter or a problem yet).

Is there a "flap" that closes when the mode is set to "recirculate"?

What am I missing here?

I just looked again to define what I called a flap. There is a white plastic piece that comes down onto the filter. I started up my car and turned on the vents with cover up (exposing the filter) and I could feel the air blowing. I then closed it and felt no air. I really don't see how those two little plastic strips did anything but hold the cover down onto the filter, but I could be wrong. Anybody else run into this issue or know what I am doing wrong?

I think what that "flap" is is the panel that closes to recirculate air from the inside and opens to draw fresh air from the outside. If you turn your car on and toggle the recirculate switch, you can see the panel rotate up and down.

I am not sure, when I first looked at it, the flap was down on the filter and my vents were set to bring in fresh air. So, I am not sure how it works. Can anyone look for me? All that is involved is opening the hood and removing the 3 pop pins on the top passenger side. Remove part of the weather stripping and lift up. Look down and you will see what I took a picture of....turn the vents on recirculate and normal to see if that cover moves.

Thanks.

I just changed mine and shot a video of it if you guys want to see how it's done with the retrofit kit. Sorry about the poor video quality since the camera is from my RC Airplane. I use the Absorber filter media that you can buy at Target for about $10 and get 6 filters out of it. It also contains activated charcoal to reduce odors coming into the car. I change out the filter every 3 months.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Mm--92aTw]YouTube- Changing Cabin Air Filter[/ame]

I'm jealous.

Did you install the retrofit in your 05 of was it already in you Legacy when you got it or dealer installed later on? My Outback 05 didn't qualify for the retrofit by Subaru and the left side doesn't have a pivot point as yours does but rather one of those darned screw points like on the right side that then requires that the whole shebang be dropped to access the back area. I see Subaru sells the retrofit kit for about $100 but am considering just cutting the back with a dremel but that would still leave me with the left side "fixed" pivot point or the alternative of dropping the dash every few months...

I have 83K miles w/o a filter in the cage and going strong... thank you SOA

I am not sure, when I first looked at it, the flap was down on the filter and my vents were set to bring in fresh air. So, I am not sure how it works. Can anyone look for me? All that is involved is opening the hood and removing the 3 pop pins on the top passenger side. Remove part of the weather stripping and lift up. Look down and you will see what I took a picture of....turn the vents on recirculate and normal to see if that cover moves.

Thanks.

I checked it out. The white flap does rotate to block the filter from the fresh air when set to recirculate.

Turn the car on and toggle the reciruclate button. You will see it open and close.

• 4 weeks later...

OK Everything worked like a charm. Retrofit all the parts for the 08 into my 05. Since I also own an 08, I was able to carve the underside of the 08 shape of the filter tray onto the 05 tray which was just a straight box. This ramp now allows the tray to wiggle out past the dash support.

One small problem is that the two self tapping screws that I ordered to use next to the latch don't really hold. I am not too concerned that the front bumper will fall off but I guess I'll use a little siliconized acrylic so they don't just fall out.

Thanks to all who did the leg work ahead of me.

• 1 month later...
Yeah it's post #130. I did it this way but you have to be very careful that you have your recirculate button turn off so you have access to the filter. Otherwise, you will have some major issues if you break anything down there. So pop off the cover, grab the filter out, and put in a new one. 5 minutes.

Holy shit, what a pain in the ass. First I tried the method from under the hood and while I could get in there, the filter would not squeeze into the space. :/

So, I took apart half my dash and such as I didnt have a retro... low and behold, NO FILTER in there at all! Lol.

"This is an adventure."

That's weird that you had issues getting the filter in from under the hood. I just bent the filter a little bit and it sat right in place. Maybe I just got lucky. But, next time I will go through the glove box...it looks even easier. Since my car is a 2007, I just need to remove the little box in the glove compartment.

Archived